Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Advanced

Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Advanced Users can exchange information here on Y-DNA testing, results, and questions.

Old 29th December 2012, 07:00 AM
FTDNA Customer

Question Y-DNA - Haplogroup Origins-Missing/Unknown Origin and Haplogroup ID

Factoid: Hap-G/ Shorthand M201
L154 ^L204 ^L240 ^M201 ^P257 ^PS94 ^

Hi, I need therapy and Im hoping someone can give me a free consultation before I shove off the DNA Ledge

Ive been reviewing my G-M201 Haplogroup "Haplogroup Origins" page with 67 markers. I discovered that Haplogroup G2C outnumbers the Generic G group by 2 to 1. 36 Countries G2C, 15 Countries only G. What bugs me is why subgroup G2C outnumbers G by the odds mentioned, it seems odd that Im left with any or at least only just a couple of G Haps. Also the Unknown Country or blank comment section seems would be impossible that I should have an unknown either for country or in particular ASHKENAZ of which you can see my blood runneth over with.

How can this be possible considering the majority odds and the confinement mostly to Polish Territory or neighboring states/territories.

Also since its certain Im not a Khazar, how can my ancestors have leapt from the Mideast or Fertile Crescent area, to Eastern Europe without a trace of a ancestor from countries inbetween. It just looks like they just jumped over to another continent. Im confused and believe me Ive been to many sites Im cross eyed. Im must really not understand what I am or where I coming or going to. Can I beg someone to give me a little crumb of their wisdom on the points I raised. I would love to go for the Geno 2 project at Nat Geo but I may put out big money there, get more info and yet still fare worse then I do at the present.

Whats worse is I understand that G2c has been incorporated into G2B2, so what am I to make of that? Should I confirm certain SNPs ya think? Suggestions as too which? is it worth it? Are the odds that I a Jew from the Mideast or a Pashtun, either would be an honor but it would be great to know which. The Pashtun are a beautiful people and I would have no trouble in admitting ancient kinship with them.
I hate sounding like a beggar but stupid is as stupid does and Im having a very low I.Q. year with my DNA results.
As you can see from any of my posts Im up very early into the morning for days straight trying to sort things out and read and reread terms and definitions, okay im gonna shut up now and go chill for a bit before I pick up and head to the Project boards again. A cold Heiniken should take the edge off here where its 4:00 in the morning.

Thank You Regardless-IAB-And Happy New Year and better times for us and the world. Cheers, Chug.

12 Marker
Exact Match
Haplogroup Country Comment
G2c Poland Ashkenazi
Genetic Distance - 1
G Austria Ashkenazi
G Germany Ashkenazi
G Poland Ashkenazi
G Russian Federation Ashkenazi
G Ukraine Ashkenazi
G Unknown Origin Ashkenazi
G2c Austria -
G2c Belarus Ashkenazi
G2c Belarus Ashkenazi (Vitebsk)
G2c Germany Ashkenazi
G2c Hungary Ashkenazi
G2c Lithuania Ashkenazi
G2c Poland Ashkenazi
G2c Romania Ashkenazi
G2c Russian Federation Ashkenazi
G2c Ukraine Ashkenazi
G2c Unknown Origin -
G2c Unknown Origin Ashkenazi

25 Marker
Genetic Distance - 1
G Ukraine Ashkenazi
Genetic Distance - 2
G Poland Ashkenazi
G2c Poland Ashkenazi

37 Marker
Genetic Distance - 3
G Poland Ashkenazi
G Ukraine Ashkenazi
G2c Poland Ashkenazi
G2c Romania Ashkenazi
G2c Ukraine Ashkenazi
Genetic Distance - 4
G Ukraine Ashkenazi
G2c Israel Ashkenazi
G2c Lithuania Ashkenazi
G2c Poland Ashkenazi
G2c Romania Ashkenazi
G2c Ukraine Ashkenazi

67 Marker
Genetic Distance - 4
Haplogroup Country
G Poland Ashkenazi
Genetic Distance - 5
Haplogroup Country
G Ukraine Ashkenazi
G2c Lithuania Ashkenazi
G2c Poland Ashkenazi
Genetic Distance - 6
Haplogroup Country
G2c Lithuania Ashkenazi
G2c Poland Ashkenazi
G2c Romania Ashkenazi
G2c Ukraine Ashkenazi
G2c Unknown Origin -
Genetic Distance - 7
Haplogroup Country
G Ukraine Ashkenazi
G2c Belarus Ashkenazi
G2c Hungary Ashkenazi
G2c Israel Ashkenazi
G2c Lithuania Ashkenazi
G2c Poland Ashkenazi
G2c Ukraine Ashkenazi
G2c Unknown Origin Ashkenazi
Old 29th December 2012, 01:28 PM
FTDNA Customer

Cool

IAB, You caught my attention with the Cold Heineken. This DNA stuff can make you study like you are cramming for an exam back in school.
First of all, join Your Haplogroup Project. Go to Projects at the top of the page and choose join. Scroll down to Y-DNA HAPLOGROUP PROJECTS and choose "G" in your case. The Haplogroup G (Y-DNA) Project has almost 3000 members. You are not alone. If the project managers are as good as my R1b managers are, you will enjoy that next Heineken a little more. Further SNP testing will be advised. Most likely, they will recommend Geno 2.0 because it's the newest. I'm awaiting good old fasioned Deep Clade results. The idea is to find your terminal SNP so you can move from predicted to confirmed and be properly placed on the primate tree. It will all come together for you.
Think about joining a geographic group too. Remember, people did hop and skip around even in the really old days.
That' my free consultation.
Old 2nd January 2013, 12:46 PM
FTDNA Customer

IAB

Some of the problems may have simple explanations. Some matches may be listed as G rather than G2 because they have not been tested for G2, i.e. downstream of G. Some haplogroups may be missing from certain countries just because few FTDNA members are from that country or because there has been little research in that country.
Old 2nd January 2013, 04:56 PM
FTDNA Customer

IAB,

Yes you should join the hap G project if you haven't already, and yes, the plain G matches are probably people who haven't done any deepclade testing, although some may have and may be just G. I think it's safe to say that you're most likely G2c, so it's up to you if you want to test just that terminal SNP, or order GENO2.0. Since a lot of new SNP information is in the works because of GENO, it's your choice if you want to be part of the fun now or wait until the dust settles and see what SNPs the G Project administrators advise you to test. The country and comment sections are added by the account holders, so if there's nothing in those columns for a particular match, then that person hasn't added the information; likewise, if it says "unknown", that's what the person listed.
Old 3rd January 2013, 05:56 PM
FTDNA Customer

My Geno 2.0 results changed my haplogroup. Up until now, I've been R-P312, now they say I'm P-310. Why is that? What does it mean?
Old 3rd January 2013, 06:55 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanCarlos View Post
My Geno 2.0 results changed my haplogroup. Up until now, I've been R-P312, now they say I'm P-310. Why is that? What does it mean?
Do you mean R-P310?
Old 3rd January 2013, 07:49 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc View Post
Do you mean R-P310?
Yes, that's what it says.
Old 3rd January 2013, 07:51 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanCarlos View Post
the only 310 is

R-P310* (R1b1b2a1a*)

Is this what they say?

Its supposed to be polish/ukraine with flemish , which then could lead to the british isles

IIRC, FTDNA does not use *
Old 3rd January 2013, 08:09 PM
FTDNA Customer

Haplogroup

@Bartot

I just got back my husbands Geno results and he is a T2 maternal and G-M406. I see you are a T also and would appreciate some info. His maternal Gr Gr Grand came from Prussia. Do you also know about his paternal G-M? Thanks.
Old 3rd January 2013, 09:01 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartot View Post
the only 310 is

R-P310* (R1b1b2a1a*)

Is this what they say?

Its supposed to be polish/ukraine with flemish , which then could lead to the british isles

IIRC, FTDNA does not use *
It just says R-P310. Where can I find the letters? It has no asterisk at the end, just R-P310. I don't see the raw data either. Wonder if my results are complete?