Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Maternal Lineages (mtDNA) > mtDNA - Advanced Topics

mtDNA - Advanced Topics Users can exchange advanced information here on mtDNA testing, results, and questions. You must register and sign in to view or post in this forum.

Old 6th June 2012, 07:23 PM
ot_kari

mtFullSequence haplo timeframe

I ordered a mtFullSequence which was due 5/28/12 then it was changed to 6/19/12. I went online to check my pending status, I saw that every test looked to be completed but the mtHaplo. Does that test take longer, it still has the date "expected" as 5/28/12.
Now I just need to learn what all the data means. Is there a good website, books or anything to learn how to interpret my results. It's like trying to learn another language to me.
Old 11th June 2012, 11:58 PM
FTDNA Customer

When you do get your test results, Phylotree is a good resource to see where you fit in the mtDNA tree:
http://www.phylotree.org/

For many haplogroups FTDNA has not updated their prediction algorithms so you might find a more detailed haplogroup identification at Phylotree.

Also, google Ian Logan GenBank to find his website, he list FMS results for many haplogroups and you migth find some near matches there.

The best resource is an active volunteer project administrator for mtDNA haplogroup projects. You need to share your coding region results with the project administrators and they can also look for any close matches within the project. However, not all haplogroup project have active volunteer admins.

Gail
Old 13th June 2012, 07:37 PM
ot_kari

The mtHaplo doesn't show up on pending anymore, but it also doesn't show any coding region for me either. This is what I get for this:
HVR1, HVR2, and Coding Region MATCHES
No Matches found.

I thought that when I bought a mtfullSequence that it included the coding region, with all the people who have been tested I would assume that at least 1 person would match my coding region.

I will check out Phylotree and look up Ian Logan GenBank and see what I can find there. I'll look into the active volunteer project administrator, but not sure where to go to look. I'm really new to all this and still learning my way around.
Old 13th June 2012, 07:57 PM
ot_kari

Quote:
Originally Posted by ot_kari View Post
The mtHaplo doesn't show up on pending anymore, but it also doesn't show any coding region for me either. This is what I get for this:
HVR1, HVR2, and Coding Region MATCHES
No Matches found.

I thought that when I bought a mtfullSequence that it included the coding region, with all the people who have been tested I would assume that at least 1 person would match my coding region.

I will check out Phylotree and look up Ian Logan GenBank and see what I can find there. I'll look into the active volunteer project administrator, but not sure where to go to look. I'm really new to all this and still learning my way around.
Well I guess I didn't know where to look for my coding region. I found it on my certificate, but what I don't understand is why nothing shows up on my halopgroup origins results.

This is my Coding Region: 750G, 961G, 1438G, 4769G, 8448C, 8860G, 9521T, 13759A, 14587G, 15326G

Now where do I found these regions..this is so confusing
Old 13th June 2012, 08:34 PM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

Why is it that FTDNA has not updated their prediction algorithms? Shouldn't they want to stay in the forefront?

I just received my mtFullSequence results. Since my haplogroup reported as T2b did not match 23andMe's predicted T2b5, I uploaded my FASTA file to James Lick's utility. My analysis report stated that I had a good match to T2b5 and that in addition to the defining markers, I have 4 extra markers for that haplogroup.

So, when is FTDNA going to catch up with everyone else???

Carol Anne
Old 14th June 2012, 04:12 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ot_kari View Post
Well I guess I didn't know where to look for my coding region. I found it on my certificate, but what I don't understand is why nothing shows up on my halopgroup origins results. .....
Now where do I found these regions..this is so confusing
OT - look at haplogroup H11a2 in Phylotree:

http://www.phylotree.org/tree/subtree_R0.htm

You should join the H11 haplogroup project:
http://www.familytreedna.com/public/...1/default.aspx
and share your coding region results with the project administrators.

And you can also see the available GenBank test results at
http://www.ianlogan.co.uk/sequences_..._sequences.htm

Gail
Old 14th June 2012, 04:18 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
Why is it that FTDNA has not updated their prediction algorithms? Shouldn't they want to stay in the forefront?
My guess is that FTDNA was waiting for the publication of the recent Behar et al paper which significantly expanded the mtDNA tree. And perhaps this is low on the list of other IT improvements and webpage updates they need to do. I agree, the update is long overdue, but hopefully it will happen soon. Until then, people can use James Lick's mthap tool or compare directly to Phlotree.