Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Group Administrators Forums > Group Administrators - New and Begining Admins

Old 10th May 2017, 03:14 PM
FTDNA Customer

Earliest known ancestor

Hello. Wasn't sure where to put this question.

How do I set my earliest known ancestor on DNA projects Y-results chart? The problem is that my earliest known ancestor is not always relevant to the particular DNA project. For example, I am on the Wicker DNA project. My earliest known ancestor is always listed as "John Shaw", which he is, however he isn't related to the Wicker family at all, which leads to confusion.

Where is that information being "grabbed" from and can I change it so that the relevant ancestor is listed to a particular DNA project?
Old 10th May 2017, 04:00 PM
mtDNA: K1a3 | Y-DNA: R-L1308*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmshaw View Post
Hello. Wasn't sure where to put this question.

How do I set my earliest known ancestor on DNA projects Y-results chart? The problem is that my earliest known ancestor is not always relevant to the particular DNA project. For example, I am on the Wicker DNA project. My earliest known ancestor is always listed as "John Shaw", which he is, however he isn't related to the Wicker family at all, which leads to confusion.

Where is that information being "grabbed" from and can I change it so that the relevant ancestor is listed to a particular DNA project?
I take it that the Wicker DNA project is a surname project. If you join a surname project for a surname appearing in another of your ancestral lines, you shouldn't change your earliest ancestor to reflect the relevant surname in your ancestry for projects with surnames that are not your direct paternal line surname. Your most distant known direct paternal ancestor, John Shaw, is who should be listed and who will always appear in any project you join.

The place to indicate your earliest ancestors is in your account settings. Sign in to your account, hover over your name, and select Account Settings. Once there, choose Genealogy and then click on the link for Earliest Known Ancestors. There is only the ability to enter information for your earliest direct maternal (mother's mother's mother, etc.) and direct paternal (father's father's father, etc.) ancestors, and no option to enter names for other lines. This is not for your earliest female or male ancestor in other lines, only the earliest for your direct maternal and paternal lines.

Last edited by KATM; 10th May 2017 at 04:14 PM.