Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > Family Finder Advanced Topics

Family Finder Advanced Topics Advanced discussion about Family Tree DNA's Family Finder Product.

Old 4th August 2012, 03:51 PM
henrials

Norwegian results?

I'm Norwegian(but I know my great grand mother was a forest finn, probably from Karelia or Savonia).

I turned out 67,56% Orcadian, and
32,44% Russian, Finnish.

Does Norwegians who take this test usually get 32,44% Russian,Finnish as result?

The fact that it says Russian,Finnish...does it mean it found similarities with both Russian and Finnish? And is there any particular reason why it said russian before finnish?
Old 4th August 2012, 07:55 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrials View Post
I'm Norwegian(but I know my great grand mother was a forest finn, probably from Karelia or Savonia).

32,44% Russian, Finnish.

Does Norwegians who take this test usually get 32,44% Russian,Finnish as result?

The fact that it says Russian,Finnish...does it mean it found similarities with both Russian and Finnish? And is there any particular reason why it said russian before finnish?

I am 3/8 Norwegian, on my father's side (he was 3/4 Norwegian). My Population Finder results show 94.42% Orcadian and 5.58% Middle-East (no Finnish or etc). The ME part is probably from Austrian and German/Dutch.
Old 4th August 2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:

32,44% Russian, Finnish.

PF is off for many. My uncle has 75% Fin (no Russian) and we are not Fin at all. Family is Colonial American Orcadian and American Indian. For fine tuned results I would download your Raw data both X and autosomal and send it to Dr McDonald and he should be able to give you a more in depth reading on PF jdmcdona@illinois.edu
Old 6th August 2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:

32,44% Russian, Finnish.

In my experience with PF, I'm 1/4 Norwegian (all from Western Norway) from my maternal grandfather's side and from my maternal grandmother's side I am 1/8th Swedish and a mix of other European nations from all other lines. My population finder shows 95% Orcadian and 5% South Asian (North or SE Indian). No Russian or Finnish results for me, but its worth being said I have no Indian heritage either- only Northern and Western European!
Old 7th August 2012, 01:32 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:

32,44% Russian, Finnish.

There is probably little if any doubt in my mind that at least the Finnish component shows up for Norwegian test-takers (Norwegian citizens or descendants of Norwegian immigrants to the U.S. or Canada). Some of the Finnish genes in Norway come from Finns being moved there after plague wiped out large portions of the population, especially in the north. Still later, Forest Finns were moved into the country. Actually, Saami (Laplander) is another genetic component you should watch out for in journey through genetic genealogy. The current Norwegian king once said that Norway was founded by unifying two peoples: Norwegians and Saami. I think he should have added another group to that statement: Finns. He probably avoided using that ethnic group though because of the rise of the modern Finnish republic. It is my belief that the modern Norwegian kingdom is largely based on common culture, language and religion. In reality, its people's gene pool is a combination of at least three formerly distinct ethnic groups.

My mother and I have a relatively large number of FF cousins from Finland. My father has more FF cousins from Norway than me. (Actually, for the most part, I did not know which of my cousins were of at least some Norwegian descent until after my dad took the FF test himself -- and we had mutual cousins who eventually volunteered information.) When comparing my relatively close Finnish cousins (through my mother) to Norwegian cousins my dad and I have in common (using the chromosome browser) I do see chromosome segment matchers here and there -- with some Norwegian cousins more than others.

Last edited by mixedkid; 7th August 2012 at 01:37 AM.
Old 7th August 2012, 08:19 AM
FTDNA Customer

As for my Family Finder population results (see my previous ^ post), no Finnish showed up. And my L664 SNP seems to be classified as Danish, or at least related to Danes and that part of Europe.

Last edited by PDHOTLEN; 7th August 2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old 7th August 2012, 11:01 AM
FTDNA Customer

Regarding Finns, my uncle & his maternal first cousin share several FF matches who apparently still live in Finland & has all Finnish ancestors.

I upgraded their 2nd cousin once removed to FF & among others, he also shared all of these Finnish matches.

This isolates the Finnish connection to 1/16 of my ancestry, specifically my g-g-g grandparents, Michael Vance Roley & Sarah Anne (Daugherty) Roley, both of whom were born in the 1810s in western Pennsylvania. Little information exists regarding their ancestors. Having seen this consistent matching to Finns, this has me wondering if they have Finnish ancestry, at least on one side of his or her family.

If so, it would suggest that Finns settled in Pennsylvania in the late 1700s or earlier. By the close of the Revolutionary War, their ancestors had already settled in Westmoreland Co., PA & Fayette Co., PA.

Timothy Peterman
Old 8th August 2012, 01:03 AM
FTDNA Customer

I have a Finn on a maternal line, via Ancestry.com tree information. But it may be completely bogus. She was Anna Broer, born 1648 at Deer Point, New Castle, Delaware. Her father was Sinnick Broer, born 1590 in Finland; and mother Sophia Jurianson, born 1615 in Finland. The names look more Swedish than ethnic Finn. Maybe they were Swedish settlers in Finland before going to the New World. But since I don't seem to have any autosomal matching on FF, it may be a wrong entry on the Falconbury tree.
Old 11th August 2012, 07:57 AM
henrials

I put the raw data into some different DNA admixture calculators out there:
Are these common results for Norwegians?
Or am I more caucasus and russian than the average?

Dodecad K12b
North_European 51.08
Atlantic_Med 31.99
Gedrosia 9.12
Caucasus 5.72
Siberian 1.67
Southeast_Asian 0.24
Southwest_Asian 0.18

89.7% Norwegian vs 10.3% North_Ossetians
89.6% Norwegian vs 10.4% Balkars
89% Norwegian vs 11% Chechens
89.5% Norwegian vs 10.5% Adygei

MDLP-K5:
West-Eurasian: 50.80%
Paleo-mediterranean: 31.99%
Caucasian: 10.83%
East-Eurasian: 3.39%
South-Asian: 2.99%

MDLP-K8:
East-European: 35.57%
West-European: 33.76%
Caucasian: 10.86%
Paleo-mediterranean: 7.44%
Paleo-scandinavian: 6.52%
Volga-Finnic: 3.52%
South-Central-Asian: 2.31%
Altaic-Turkic: 0.02%

MDLP-K15:
Celto-Germanic: 34.31%
Balto-Slavic: 15.85%
Balto-Finnic: 12.79%
Iberian: 6.7%
Balkanic1: 6.5%
West-med: 6.25%
Caucasian: 4.61%
Paleo-North-European: 3.45%
East med: 2.74%
Uralic-Permic: 2.63%
South-Central-Asian: 2%
Balkanic-2: 1%
Volga-Uralic: 0.89%
East-Altaic: 0.28%
West-Altaic:0%

Eurogenes K13:
North European 59.80%
West African 0%
Mediterranean 23.08%
Northeast African 0.59%
North Eurasian 0.89%
South Asian 0%
Southwest Asian 1.77%
Pygmy 0%
Caucasus 8.19%
East Siberian 1.57%
East Asian 0%
Amerindian 1.12%
West Central Asian 2.96%

World 9 Oracle:
67.7% German (Dodecad) vs 32.3% Russian (Dodecad)
91.8% Swedish (Dodecad) vs 8.2% Georgia_Jews (Behar)
65.6% German (Dodecad) vs 34.4% Russian_B (Behar)
92% Swedish (Dodecad) vs 8% Azerbaijan_Jews
92% Swedish (Dodecad) vs 8% Assyrian (Dodecad)
92.4% Swedish (Dodecad) vs 7.6% Iranian_Jews (Behar) @ 1.14
7 92.3% Swedish (Dodecad) + 7.7% Iraq_Jews (Behar) @ 1.15

HarappaWorld:
Baloch 9.57%
Caucasian 5.89%
NE-Euro 57.27%
SE-Asian -
Siberian 0.98%
NE-Asian -
Papuan 0.19%
American 0.86%
Beringian 0.72%
Mediterranean 23.80%
SW-Asian 0.73%

On a per-chromosome comparison, one of them are
25,8% Caucausus.
Another is 7.5% west-central-asian and 8% Caucasus.
On HarappaWorld Admixture, one chromosome got 21.9% Baloch, 6% Caucasian.

Last edited by henrials; 11th August 2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old 11th August 2012, 10:56 AM
mtDNA: J2b1a1(a) | Y-DNA: I2a1a | Horse Person

I have a grandfather from Western Norway. I come up as 100% Orcadian.I AM more than 1/2 Irish.
My 4th cousin who has been told by Dr.McDonald that he has some Finnish is also. McDonald told me Arctic genome and likely Saami, grandfather was born North of the Arctic Circle.
Previous autosomal at DNA Tribes indicated Russian ( and other Baltic) tribal.
I match a fair amount of other Norwegian Americans but only one still in Norway who I have connected with.Just my family I guess.