Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > myOrigins Basics

Old 23rd May 2015, 11:45 AM
FTDNA Customer

My Origins results; a little lost?

Ok; so I got my Origins results (the maps with the color splotches?)
WHOA! Ok lol So Even though FTDNA says my info is not back yet; I apparently have my Autosmal MAP results?
I am 2% South/Central ASIAN?? (Could this be Native DNA?)
with in that I am 2% Central ASIAN (Again could this be Native DNA?)
I am 98% European (not too surprised lol)
-within that I am 50% Central and Western European
-I am 46% British Isles
-I am 2% Finland and Norther Siberia.
(WHA?)
The reason I ask if the Central/South Asian could be Native American is I DO Have Proven Record trail ancestry from a few Native Peoples on my father's side; pretty far back (1600s) two of whom have been proven by mtDNA and Ydna from other descendants to be First Nations (Canada). Could this be the 2% central/south Asian result?
A screenshot of my results is attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ethnic Make up.JPG (123.4 KB, 15 views)
Old 23rd May 2015, 11:52 AM
FTDNA Customer

Maybe.

Amerindians have ancient genetic affinities to people who live in the Altai Mountains region between Kazakhstan and Mongolia, very close to Central Asia proper.

Finnish people have some genetics in common with Amerindians through their Siberian connection. This is why some Finns show false Amerindian scores of several percentage points in some admixture tests.

There are no United States Amerindian samples in the FTDNA reference sample database to compare to, and possibly still no Canadian ones? which mostly uses Amerindians from Mexico and South America. U.S. and Canadian Amerindians have subtle differences that therefore the algorithm might find bring them closer to the related old world populations than the Latin American ones.

Last edited by khazaria; 23rd May 2015 at 11:58 AM.
Old 23rd May 2015, 12:02 PM
FTDNA Customer

more info

There is also family oral history about my 2nd Great Grandfather on my mother's side; family lore says he was half Mi'Kmaq (a native tribe from Nova Scotia) and half French. There is also reputed Native ancestry way back (again 1600s) on my mom's side too.
How much is 2%? how far back would that be in relation to me???
Old 23rd May 2015, 12:17 PM
FTDNA Customer

You can definitely inherit a small amount of DNA from the 1600s. DNA inheritance has statistical patterns but you can inherit more from one ancestor in the same position on your family tree than from another. For example some people may take more after their maternal grandfather than their paternal grandmother.

When your raw DNA data is available, you can upload it to Gedmatch.com for free and play around with the calculators.

Eurogenes: K36 has a separate "Amerindian" category as well as "East_Central_Asian" and "Siberian".

If that doesn't pick it up, you can play around with Eurogenes: EUtest and see what its oracle's Mixed Mode Population Sharing shows. It doesn't have Amerindian references to work from, but in lieu of that will show affinities of Amerindian people to Kazakhs (Central Asia) and to Eastern Siberians (Chukchi, Selkup, Koryak).

Eurogenes: K13 has Amerindian samples but only from Latin America (Maya, Pima, Karitiana, Surui) not Canada, and can be trusted if somebody consistently shows those ethnicities in Mixed Mode Population Sharing as Mexicans usually do, but its Amerindian percentage calculator is unreliable and it might not think Canadian Amerindians are closer to Maya and Pima than to Siberians for whatever reasons.
Old 23rd May 2015, 12:33 PM
FTDNA Customer

Raw Data

So which should I download?? (There are like 4 options?)
Old 23rd May 2015, 12:42 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyAlaise View Post
So which should I download?? (There are like 4 options?)
Download the Build 36 files. Both the Autosomal and X chromosome files have to be uploaded to Gedmatch.
Old 23rd May 2015, 12:47 PM
FTDNA Customer

both build 36?
Old 23rd May 2015, 12:49 PM
FTDNA Customer

aww dang; can't download it yet; guess I have to wait for the full shibang (FF results) to come in); right now I can only look at myOrigins map...no matches yet.
Old 23rd May 2015, 12:53 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Ok; so I got my Origins results (the maps with the color splotches?)
WHOA! Ok lol So Even though FTDNA says my info is not back yet; I apparently have my Autosmal MAP results?
I am 2% South/Central ASIAN?? (Could this be Native DNA?)
with in that I am 2% Central ASIAN (Again could this be Native DNA?)
I am 98% European (not too surprised lol)
-within that I am 50% Central and Western European
-I am 46% British Isles
-I am 2% Finland and Norther Siberia.
(WHA?)
The reason I ask if the Central/South Asian could be Native American is I DO Have Proven Record trail ancestry from a few Native Peoples on my father's side; pretty far back (1600s) two of whom have been proven by mtDNA and Ydna from other descendants to be First Nations (Canada). Could this be the 2% central/south Asian result?
A screenshot of my results is attached.
FTDNA myOrigins is the worst for Native American ancestry. Ancestry.com and 23andme are much better. There is a very consistent underreporting of Native American at FTDNA. The 2% Native American that shows up as noise in Europeans at Gedmatch almost never shows up in Ancestry.com and 23andme. That means that the Native American at Ancestry.com and 23andme isn't noise. Your best bet is to get a 23andme test since that is much better than Ancestry or FTDNA. You should also have as many relatives as possible tested at 23andme.

Normally, Native American DNA from the 1600s isn't going to show up in someone born in the 20th century due to wash out since the DNA is halved every generation if it is coming from only one ancestor and after about 7 generation or 230-250 years it should be gone. Latin Americans have Native Americans from so many ancestors that even if it was washed out in one family they or their descendants would eventually marry someone with Native American ancestry so it would never disappear completely.
Old 23rd May 2015, 12:58 PM
FTDNA Customer

Armando

Quote:
There is also family oral history about my 2nd Great Grandfather on my mother's side; family lore says he was half Mi'Kmaq (a native tribe from Nova Scotia) and half French. There is also reputed Native ancestry way back (again 1600s) on my mom's side too.
How much is 2%? how far back would that be in relation to me???
There is also this