• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DIng
    FTDNA Customer
    • Feb 2017

Matching Map confusion

I admit I am totally baffled by this.....when I go to the Matching Maps, my HVR1 number is 43, and my HVR2 number is 20. Why are these numbers different than what was on the original mtDNA page where I had 195 matches for HVR1 and 52 matches for HVR1,HVR2?

When I look at the map with the push pins. I only am shown " exact matches". I have no access to 1-Step, 2-Step etc. Why?

What exactly does 1-Step, 2-Step mean etc. ? What is a "step"?
    What makes the difference between each step?

For any help answering my questions, I am thankful. Diane
  • KATM
    mtDNA: K1a3 / YDNA: R-FGC46377
    • Nov 2012

Why are these numbers different than what was on the original mtDNA page where I had 195 matches for HVR1 and 52 matches for HVR1,HVR2?
    I think the mtDNA Matches Map page will only display those of your matches who have specified a location for their earliest direct maternal ancestor (mother's mother's mother's mother, etc.). I have 16 matches at the "HVR1, HVR2, Coding Regions" level (mtDNA FullSequence), but only 6 appear on my mtDNA Matches Map page.

When I look at the map with the push pins. I only am shown " exact matches". I have no access to 1-Step, 2-Step etc. Why?
    The FTDNA Learning Center has a page about the mtDNA Matches Page. If you scroll down to the "mtDNA Matches Page Questions," you'll see one for "On the mtDNA - Matches page, are only exact matches shown?" Here is what it says:
    • For those who have tested HVR1 (mtDNA) or HVR1 and HVR2 (mtDNAPlus), only exact matches are shown. SmartMatching is also used to prevent a match between different haplogroups.
    • For those who have tested the mtDNA Full Sequence (mtFullSequence), three differences are allowed. These differences include cases of heteroplasmy. Two high frequency insertion/deletion locations are completely excluded from difference counts. These are mutations at positions 309 and 315.
    Since you seem to have taken the mtDNA+ test (for HVR1 + HVR2 regions), you will only see your exact matches. If you upgrade to the mtDNA FullSequence test, you will get matches who have up to three differences, and they will show on your mtDNA Matches Map page, if they have specified a location.

What exactly does 1-Step, 2-Step mean etc. ? What is a "step"?
    What makes the difference between each step?
    I could not find a definition for the step difference for mtDNA, but basically it is related to your mtDNA results, specifically any extra mutations you may have (Full Sequence test only). Your matches will match you, but may have one or more differences from your results. FTDNA allows up to three of these differences for the mtDNA FullSequence test match list.

The Learning Center unfortunately does not answer some questions. It would be good for them to approach it from the point of view of a "newbie" to DNA testing, and try to answer a lot of questions like yours that are asked in the forums.

Comment

Working...
    X