• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David
    FTDNA Customer
    • Mar 2014

Only matches at 12 markers

I am managing a Y-37 marker test for a friend, who is of Western European descent. We believe his paternal line comes from Germany, but has been in America since at least the early 1800's. He has a common surname, but one that can have several related spellings. He has no matches at either 25 or 37 markers, but several at 12 markers. In the case of other tests I manage, I have rarely looked at the 12 marker results because of the limited accuracy/benefit - too many false positives. I have not seen this before where a person has no matches, even at 25 markers. Is this a common situation and is there anything one can do to proceed rather than just wait for others to test and hope to get lucky?
  • lgmayka
    FTDNA Customer
    • Mar 2006

What is his haplogroup prediction?

Comment

• The_Contemplator
      FTDNA Customer
      • Jun 2015

My own Y67 has no matches at any level. As for how common that is, I have no idea. It depends on different factors. How many male descendants that paternal lineage had is one. The more sons a line had at every generation, the more likely there will someone to test. Another is where they come from. A bulk of the database is from people in the US and some parts of Europe like the UK. Others will have less representation, specially if they don't speak English as this place is not multilingual.

As for what you could do, well you can be proactive. Look at the paper trail. Find other possible descendants of this same paternal lineage. Get them interested to test themselves.

Comment

• high734
        FTDNA Customer
        • Aug 2016

I am also of German decent. My family immigrated to the US sometime around 1860. I have very similar results to the kit you manage: 0 matches at 37 and 25 and 15 matches on 12 but all at GD of 1 (not much of a match).

Comment

• dewsloth
          FTDNA Customer
          • Jul 2016

Originally posted by high734 View Post
          I am also of German decent. My family immigrated to the US sometime around 1860. I have very similar results to the kit you manage: 0 matches at 37 and 25 and 15 matches on 12 but all at GD of 1 (not much of a match).
          Welcome to the club, guys!

I am also of German descent.
          My family immigrated to the US sometime around 1938.
          I have very similar results to the kit you manage: 0 matches (other than my dad) at 37 and 25 and 19 matches on 12 -- but they are all extremely vague (e.g. M269). I have one closer match found through Big Y, but even they are no closer than about 300-400 years, at best.

Comment

• Brunetmj
            FTDNA Customer
            • Jan 2011

I am of Norman descent , via Quebec , and have never had even a 12 marker match in 5 years. Very common haplogroup of L21 also..You would think just by chance someone would match at 12 markers.I ended up recently testing my brother and two first cousins just so I will have some matches.

Comment

• David
              FTDNA Customer
              • Mar 2014

Haplogroup prediction

Originally posted by lgmayka View Post
              What is his haplogroup prediction?
              In answer to your question: "Your Predicted Haplogroup is I-M170"

What difference does that make?

Comment

• Jim Barrett
                R-BY55907
                • Apr 2003

Originally posted by David View Post
                In answer to your question: "Your Predicted Haplogroup is I-M170" What difference does that make?
                Knowing you Haplogroup makes it easier to answer your question. Some Haplogroups have many more matches than others.

If you were a member of an under tested Haplogroup few matches would be expected.

Comment

• lgmayka
                  FTDNA Customer
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by David View Post
                  In answer to your question: "Your Predicted Haplogroup is I-M170"

What difference does that make?
                  Usually, FTDNA customers (of European patrilineage) who are given a prediction of I-M170 actually belong to either I-L596 or I-L38. Both are rather rare nowadays, although they may have been more common in the Paleolithic era.

Comment

• Brunetmj
                    FTDNA Customer
                    • Jan 2011

@Igmayka
                    I have immense respects for your opinions as you are very knowledgeable. However I have probably have one of the most common haplogroups , and possibly the largest, to family Tree , R1b-L21 . Yet I have no 12 marker matches. So the origins of your Y line may also play a large part in determining STR matches. There may however be overlap in these two ideas. R1b-L21 , although common to FTDNA, is only present in 10 % of French males so someone from France,despite having a common haplogroup, may also find themselves without matches.

Comment

• The_Contemplator
                      FTDNA Customer
                      • Jun 2015

Brunetmj, is your kit only a Y12 and not any higher like Y37? If so, you might consider upgrading. I have seen some kits that have certain mutations in their first 12 markers that make them not see the people they match at higher levels.

Comment

• Brunetmj
                        FTDNA Customer
                        • Jan 2011

Brunetmj, is your kit only a Y12 and not any higher like Y37?
                        It is a 111 marker test. There are no exact matches at 12 markers or any other marker level.I now have a match because I tested my brother.

Comment

Working...
                        X