Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Y-DNA Haplogroups & SNPs Basics

Y-DNA Haplogroups & SNPs Basics This forum is for those new to personal ancestry testing on the direct paternal line with Y-DNA SNP tests. All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 18th April 2016, 05:50 AM
FTDNA Customer

100% European with African Y-DNA

I took part in the Genographic project und had my sample transferred to FTDNA in order to confirm and refine the results. I am ethnically German but with 68% Eastern European, 27% Scandinavian and some 5% Siberian genetic makeup my reference group is Russian, which is not surprising as my maternal ancestors come from Eastern Europe, my paternal ancestors form Bohemia. The strange thing is that both tests reveiled my Y-DNA haplogroup as being E V-32(genographic project) and E-Z 16659 (ftdna), which does not seem to have been confirmed outside of African populations so far ( at least I haven't yet found any helpful information). In both projects I am being told that my ancestry has somehow moved from Somalia to North Africa, that I am having Berber cousins and things like that. Does anyone have an idea how these genes ended up in Bohemia (my great-grandfather's home region)? Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 18th April 2016, 10:01 AM
FTDNA Customer

NG's classification, E-V32, looks Middle Eastern: Saudi Arabia, Jordan, and Kenya.

FTDNA's classification, E-Z16659, makes much more sense for you: Ukraine, Russia, Bulgaria, Macedonia, etc. But YFull says that Z16659 is roughly 3900 years old, so it has had some time to "get around" to countries across Europe and beyond.

Last edited by lgmayka; 18th April 2016 at 10:04 AM.
Old 19th April 2016, 06:06 AM
FTDNA Customer

Yes, your are right FTDNA's classification E-Z16659 would make more sense if you consider YFull. But exactly like in the case of E-V32 (E1b1ba1a2) - which by the way is said to be way older than E-Z16659 - the migration map at FTDNA indicates, at least in my case, a migration path from eastern to northern Africa and not further.
Anyway, a few weeks ago FTDNA considered my sample belonging to the I1 haplogroup. Who knows, what comes next.
Old 19th April 2016, 06:23 AM
FTDNA Customer

My father's paternal line is Austrian but his Y-dna haplogroup is also E ( E-L117). In my father's case the Y-haplogroup probably comes from the Romans, Roman soldiers of Balkan ancestry, the remnants of the Holy Roman Empire. Maybe it is the same in your situation? But I'm still doing my research, so this is just a suggestion, nothing sure yet.

Last edited by Dora; 19th April 2016 at 06:26 AM.
Old 19th April 2016, 05:28 PM
FTDNA Customer

Some of my male cousins carry the y-haplogroup E-P277 (which is Subsaharan African), yet show 100% European in their autosomal DNA result. This is because our male African ancestor was many generations ago in colonial Virginia.
Old 20th April 2016, 01:16 AM
FTDNA Customer

Interesting stories! Austria has a strong Balkan-Slavic Substrate, particularily in the south and the east. The Slavs are believed to have entered the Region in the 6th or the century, that is after the Romans had left. I wonder whether it is possible to distinguish between these two possible ancestral lines just by comparing YDNA-haplotypes.
I guess everybody enjoys coherent explanations like the one about the African ancestor in Virgia. But the Genographic Project has given to me a rather bizarre (at least in my eyes) migration map: Like everybody else's ancestors my paternal line started in East Africa, then the moved northwards to Egypt and stayed there for a while. Then, out of the blue they popped up in Turkey, moved a little upwards along the Balkans. For some reason they finally reappear in North Africa and move back to Kenia/Somalia, that's it - rather erratic journey I'd say. Is there any means to connect the dots?
Old 20th April 2016, 05:17 AM
FTDNA Customer

I think that the E1b1b haplogroup was likely associated with the migration of Neolithic farmers from Anatolia into the Balkans, with some settlements extending along the Danube River. This is what happened in the cultural assemblage called Old Europe, which lasted from about 6000 BC to 4000 BC in the Balkans. To this day, the Balkans have a higher than normal concentration of E1b1b.

Timothy Peterman
Old 20th April 2016, 07:15 PM
MtDNA H1b1-T16362C YDNA E-V13

Another result like this: my paternal uncle just received his results: predicted E-M35. The admin of the project sorted him in the E-V13 cluster, which is E1b1b1a1b1a.
I am really astonished about the result. My paternal line is recontructable by proven documents till 1831 in the German Rhine area. So I wonder, if the old origins were Roman soldiers or slaves from Iberia, the Maghreb or if I have a hidden Jewish line?

I guess I will never find out... Nevertheless, it´s very exciting to learn and read about this in several internet studies.
Old 20th April 2016, 08:32 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra View Post
The admin of the project sorted him in the E-V13 cluster, which is E1b1b1a1b1a.
E-V13 has a Time to Most Recent Common Ancestor (TMRCA) of 4300 years. You can see from the geographical designations on the haplotree entries that E-V13 really got around.
Old 20th April 2016, 08:43 PM
MtDNA H1b1-T16362C YDNA E-V13

Thanks, lgmayka, for this great link to the tree. Wow, I see, that there are even E-V13 subclusters found in Norway! The highest cumulation nowadays is on the Balkans, I´ve read, but not the original "founder area". Is there any new study, on the probably place of origins and the different wanderroute?