• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sandrews58
    FTDNA Customer
    • Jun 2012

STR DNA county to personel compare

I have joined the BIDP and have my DNA STR in a Z County Unknown: Haplogroup R1b1a2 group.
    I have tested to 111 for the Y-DNA so my question is is there any benefit to compare my STR results against the Min, Max and Mod results for each county listed in the group?
    I have started my compare and match the markers for Bedford England with only 2 marker differences out of 111. So does this mean someone in my line lived in this area at some point? Or am I truly off line in my thinking?

If this is a valid exploration what is the max STR marker difference that would cancel any chance a family lived in a county?

Thanks,
    Steve Andrews
  • roykeys
    FTDNA Customer
    • Feb 2006

STRs and haplogroups

Hello Steve,
    STRs will only be of relevance when comparing persons in the same haplogroup. Since any given county subgroup will normally be made up of persons from different haplogroups, comparisons with a modal will likely not yield valid clues. Instead, you should start by checking your near matches on your MyFTDNA page, with emphasis on persons within the same haplogroup. A more detailed procedure is outlined in the Member guidelines on our website at www.britishislesdna.com. Let me know if this is of assistance.
    Cheers, Roy

Comment

• sandrews58
      FTDNA Customer
      • Jun 2012

STRs and haplogroups

Thanks for the explanation however I am a bit confused, pardon my ignorance.
      So looking a county Bedford I see 6 different Haplo groups entered. I am guessing they are listed under the Bedford listing because the people said there family came from that county. None are in the same Halpo group. So If I said my ancestor was from this county it would have been listed under Bedford as well as well as my Haplo group?

So not knowing exactly where ones ancestors came from in England, how can one use the information listed in the group? I have looked at the explanation for the group and it is not clear, or maybe it is not useful for this kind of information at all.

Steve Andrews

Comment

• roykeys
        FTDNA Customer
        • Feb 2006

That's right: when a member indicates a documented county of origin (either direct paternal for YDNA or direct maternal for mtDNA), the member is placed in a county subgroup. But while there may be patterns of distribution of haplogoups across the region, you are unlikely to find the membership of any one county subgroup to be in a single haplogroup. STRs may be similar between persons with different haplogoups, but the relationship will still be very remote. The place to find STR comparisons is your MyFTDNA page. You may find persons among your near matches, and in the same haplogroup as you, who do know their county or origin. You can then orient your documentary search toward that county. Ideally, you would look at a few near matches, if enough of them know their county of origin, you may be able to refine your own search based on that information. Don't forget to use Ysearch as well. The procedure is described in the member guidelines.
        Cheers,
        Roy

Comment

• sandrews58
          FTDNA Customer
          • Jun 2012

Thank you.

Comment

• roykeys
            FTDNA Customer
            • Feb 2006

Your goal would be to use the clues provided by DNA to help find a documented ancestor in a BI county. You should also join a project corresponding to your haplogroup, where you would be grouped with other members by haplogroup. You could then check the county of origin for any person(s) who might be slotted close to you in the haplogroup subgroupings there.
            Cheers,
            Roy

Comment

• roykeys
              FTDNA Customer
              • Feb 2006

Mismatch

I neglected to mention that a 2 marker mismatch on 111 would suggest a common haplogroup, so that clue could be paramount in your research, especially if the person has the same surname as you.

Comment

• Jan 2009

Originally posted by sandrews58 View Post
                I have joined the BIDP and have my DNA STR in a Z County Unknown: Haplogroup R1b1a2 group.
                I have tested to 111 for the Y-DNA so my question is is there any benefit to compare my STR results against the Min, Max and Mod results for each county listed in the group?
                I have started my compare and match the markers for Bedford England with only 2 marker differences out of 111. So does this mean someone in my line lived in this area at some point? Or am I truly off line in my thinking?

If this is a valid exploration what is the max STR marker difference that would cancel any chance a family lived in a county?

Thanks,
                Steve Andrews
                You match the modal haplotype not a person.

Comment

• roykeys
                  FTDNA Customer
                  • Feb 2006

SNP testing

One advantage of joining a haplogroup project is that you will have access to good advice from knowledgeable people about SNP testing to refine your haplogroup classification.

Comment

• roykeys
                    FTDNA Customer
                    • Feb 2006

Yes, if the modal were an actual person it might be a significant match.

Comment

Working...
                    X