• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbird
    FTDNA Customer
    • Sep 2014

Family Tree DNA Match Click & Drag

I don't understand how this function is supposed to work, or how it is useful.

It would seem that I have to know the exact person in my tree to link the DNA match to. That seems to be a requirement of getting the import to work at all.

But, even then, how that helps to link the match person's tree to mine is unknown without finding a person in-common in the trees first.

I'm really not finding this functionality to be useful, but if it is, I'd sure like to know how to use it.

Any thoughts or guidance is welcome.

Dave Bird
  • Broder Tuck
    FTDNA Customer
    • Feb 2016

One very important thing to realize is that the linking isn't done to common ancestors, in "world tree" fashion.

Instead, the people you can link are your matches, who are (for the most part) very much alive.

Comment

• dbird
      FTDNA Customer
      • Sep 2014

Thank you.

So then, I suppose the utility is just as a provisional link?

I'm still not getting the utility of this.

Maybe it could be used for phasing, or maybe mapping? I'm new to the serious DNA effort. I've done all the tests that seem potentially useful, but just getting into tree mapping. Anything deeper I don't understand well enough yet.

Dave

Comment

• spruithean
        FTDNA Customer
        • Dec 2008

In the skeleton tree I have built on FTDNA I have linked a few relatives. What it seems to allow is putting people in your list of "Linked Relationships" in the Chromosome browser.

Comment

• dbird
          FTDNA Customer
          • Sep 2014

My ignorance is showing again.

What is a "skeleton tree"? Maybe you can give me a link to go look at it?

And, what is the "Linked Relationships" list? I know what the chromosome browser is, but I haven't used it yet really. Just kind of played with it.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

• dbird
            FTDNA Customer
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Broder Tuck View Post
            One very important thing to realize is that the linking isn't done to common ancestors, in "world tree" fashion.

Instead, the people you can link are your matches, who are (for the most part) very much alive.
            Been looking at this and trying to make it work. When I add one of my matches to my tree, it forces me to add the match to an individual in my tree as an immediate relative. Father, daughter, son, wife, etc. So, this forces me to import the tree of my match up to the common ancestor.

This seems to be a direct contradiction to what you say. Please explain.

Thanks again.

Comment

• Broder Tuck
              FTDNA Customer
              • Feb 2016

Ok, I'll try to explain better.

First, the utility of this linking is for phasing, i.e. assigning matches to paternal or maternal side based on those matches you have linked.

Second, if you want to link (say) a second cousin, it's true that you'd need to add all the people in the chain between you, so in this case a sibling for your grandparent, a cousin for your parent, then the second cousin.

If I remember correctly, the relation to the linked match needs to be third cousin or closer for the phasing to work.
              Last edited by Broder Tuck; 22 June 2018, 06:22 AM.

Comment

• dbird
                FTDNA Customer
                • Sep 2014

Interesting. Is there a detailed example of doing this somewhere? That would be a really big help. Going from the match list to the tree, the linking in the tree and into the Linked Relationships page to follow up.

Comment

• KATM
                  mtDNA: K1a3 / YDNA: R-FGC46377
                  • Nov 2012

As the others have mentioned, linking your DNA matches to your family tree in your account is indeed for the purpose of using your KNOWN close relatives who have done the Family Finder test to phase your match list into maternal and paternal groups of matches. It's likely that you will have these close relatives in your tree already, and not have to add them, or import the match's tree up to a common ancestor.

Perhaps these Learning Center pages will help:
                  1. Family Finder – Family Matching System, where it says:
                  "The Family Matching feature assigns maternal or paternal icons to a customer’s match list based on phased matching to close relatives in conjunction with a special Family Matching threshold. In order to take advantage of this feature, a user must have a tree uploaded or created in their Family Tree DNA account, and the DNA kits of relatives must be linked to the appropriate individual in the user’s tree.

The Family Matching feature allows you to view your confirmed maternal and paternal matches at a glance when relatives from that side of your tree have tested with Family Tree DNA."
                  2. Family Finder – Family Matching Tool, which explains how to use the tool.

It may also help to read these blog posts by Roberta Estes:

Comment

• dbird
                    FTDNA Customer
                    • Sep 2014

Thank you KATM. This is starting to make sense now.

Comment

• dbird
                      FTDNA Customer
                      • Sep 2014

Well, I've started to use this. But, now with limited success.

I looked at my match list to find the closest matches and examined the list of common surnames. I found three now, whom I have been able to add to my tree with good research. Two matches who are 2nd-4th cousins, and one who is a 3rd-5th cousin.

After adding the second one of the 2nd-4th cousins, my Matches page showed 27 paternal matches. But now, after adding the 3rd-5th cousin match, both the paternal and maternal match tabs are not even accessible. The mouse hover shows a little red circle with a red bar across it for those tabs, and the count number normally in parenthesis is (0) for both.

Plus, there is another issue. The search function in the tree presentation will not find a name unless that particular branch of the tree is visible. And, sometimes not even then. The search function seems to be buggy.

Can anyone please comment on these issues? Normal, not normal? Whatever.

Comment

• Fern
                        FTDNA Customer
                        • Mar 2017

Originally posted by dbird View Post
                        The search function in the tree presentation will not find a name unless that particular branch of the tree is visible. And, sometimes not even then. The search function seems to be buggy.

Can anyone please comment on these issues? Normal, not normal? Whatever.
                        I've just had a look on my tree. My search function works fine: when I'm in the main part of my tree, I get results for names that are "hidden" in more distant branches.

I can't comment on your first problem, as I haven't linked anyone to my tree since early June. (PS: Linking will create maternal/paternal icons ONLY if the linked match is 3C or closer.)

Could the problems you're having be something to do with your browser?

Comment

• dbird
                          FTDNA Customer
                          • Sep 2014

I've just had a look on my tree. My search function works fine: when I'm in the main part of my tree, I get results for names that are "hidden" in more distant branches.
                          I have to clarify. My search only finds names that are available without clicking on the little descendant tree shaped do-hicky that sticks out of names that have extended parts of the tree connected to them.

(I'm not seeing how to insert an image of a file on my desktop, unless the image has an http address, so the above description will have to do for now.)
                          Last edited by dbird; 7 July 2018, 11:12 PM.

Comment

• KATM
                            mtDNA: K1a3 / YDNA: R-FGC46377
                            • Nov 2012

Originally posted by dbird View Post
                            Well, I've started to use this. But, now with limited success.

I looked at my match list to find the closest matches and examined the list of common surnames. I found three now, whom I have been able to add to my tree with good research. Two matches who are 2nd-4th cousins, and one who is a 3rd-5th cousin.
                            Ideally, you should use matches who you know for certain are related to you, who you can link to their place in the tree. Refer to the list in my previous post. You want to get a relative such as a paternal aunt or maternal first cousin (for example) who you already know, to take the Family Finder test if they haven't already. Picking an estimated 2nd-4th cousin from your match list, even with research, sounds a bit shaky for this purpose. But, if you are sure you've found a cousin in your match list that you can verify within your family, and they are no more than a 3rd cousin to you, I suppose they will do.

I haven't heard or seen any mention of the problems you described. Perhaps you should try a different browser, or clear the cache and try again. Are you accessing your account on a tablet or phone? That might cause some issues. If it persists, submit a support request using the link for Customer Support, found at the top right of these forum pages.

Comment

Working...
                            X