Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA and Genealogy for Beginners

DNA and Genealogy for Beginners Everything you wanted to know about DNA and Genealogy but didn't know where to ask. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 16th June 2017, 04:29 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmason View Post
my (half Ashkenazi) mother's FF results are just in.

[...]

The first one I wrote to was also of Ashkenazi descent, and invited me to do an "in common with" between my mother and her, to see if we could narrow down the relationship.

We did - but not in any meaningful way. My mother has over 7000 matches in total - most of them Ashkenazi. When I ran an "in common with" on the selected match, about 3,500 - or half of ALL her matches were common to both of them. OK, we'd ruled out 3,500, but the remaining 3,500 were still far too many to interpret. All it proved was that "all" Ashkenazi people - or in this case half of them - are related to all the others.
A reliable genetic genealogy study "Why Autosomal DNA Test Results Are Significantly Different for Ashkenazi Jews" in the June 2014 issue of Avotaynu: The International Review of Jewish Genealogy found that "full" Ashkenazim match-in-common to only about 1/3rd of the matches of other "full" Ashkenazim in Family Finder. That is also the kind of pattern I've seen in my immediate and extended family's results. There are a great many Ashkenazic matches who don't appear across every one of our match lists. And in the case of phased matches I got from my parents, many matches really are only paternally-linked or maternally-linked, and are so indicated by the proper symbol next to the match.
Old 16th June 2017, 04:47 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by khazaria View Post
A reliable genetic genealogy study "Why Autosomal DNA Test Results Are Significantly Different for Ashkenazi Jews" in the June 2014 issue of Avotaynu: The International Review of Jewish Genealogy found that "full" Ashkenazim match-in-common to only about 1/3rd of the matches of other "full" Ashkenazim in Family Finder. That is also the kind of pattern I've seen in my immediate and extended family's results. There are a great many Ashkenazic matches who don't appear across every one of our match lists. And in the case of phased matches I got from my parents, many matches really are only paternally-linked or maternally-linked, and are so indicated by the proper symbol next to the match.
Amendment: I have also seen the pattern described in the Avotaynu article when I examined other Ashkenazic families' Family Finder match lists at their request - so my analysis does not involve only my own family, which is slightly mixed. There truly are many pairings between Ashkenazim that do not meet Family Finder's minimum thresholds to show as matches. Their weak level of matching can also be seen between certain pairs inside GEDmatch.
Old 17th June 2017, 04:40 AM
FTDNA Customer

So, in effect, Khazaria, are you saying my mother's "commonality" with other Ashkenazim is in fact unusually high, for someone who is only "half"?

I do apologise that this is off-topic for the original poster. I hope it may be an interesting aside, as they are also researching Jewish ancestry.

Obviously, increased "in common withs" do not improve the chances of narrowing down which specific lines are relevant - quite the contrary.

But is there anything I can learn from Mum having more "in common withs" than expected?

Clearly, one interpretation would be that she was more than half Jewish - i.e. there was some Jewish contribution from her paternal line as well. But both the paper trail and her overall ethnicity results are consistent with her having only one Jewish parent.
Old 17th June 2017, 06:13 PM
FTDNA Customer

Hmm. I am such a noob at this. Does anybody have any advice on tracking down my great grandmother? What tools are there available on FTDNA to accomplish such a task? Nick
Old 17th June 2017, 07:33 PM
FTDNA Customer

Tmason,
You cannot see the names of your mother's match's matches that your mother doesn't share. I am quite sure the quantity of such matches is high.
Old 18th June 2017, 11:37 AM
FTDNA Customer

Hi khazaria just PMed you. Sorry for the late response I didn't see your message at first!

Thanks.

Nick