Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > Adoptees Forum

Adoptees Forum This is a forum for adoptees and descendants of adoptees to share their research experiences and exchange information as well as tips. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 7th June 2017, 03:13 PM
FTDNA Customer

Adopted at Birth

I learned I was adopted when I was much younger and I also made a decision that I wasn't looking for parents. Now that I am older I am still not looking for parents, just people that happen to have made me. I love my adoptive parents and wouldn't give them up. I appreciate the fact the people that gave me up for adoption did so because they wanted me to have life. I would however like to know more about my background and history. I've taken 3 different DNA tests from different companies to see where my background could possibly come from. I was born in Boise, ID on August 10 1976 in St Luke's hospital. The stuff I know about my biological parents is speculative because they are not on my birth certificate. I started this search mainly because of health reasons. I don't have any major health problems as of yet, but i also don't have any family history to go off of.

I appreciate any help or advice given.
Old 7th June 2017, 04:15 PM
FTDNA Customer

You said that your bio parents weren't on your birth certificate. I don't know how Idaho handles birth certificate, but many state will give adoptive parents a new certificate of birth after they adopt a child. The original one with the bio parents names isn't handed out, so perhaps Idaho has a certificate with your bio parents on it that you don't have.

Do you know who or what agency was involved with your adoption? They might have records that you could request.

Different states have different laws regarding adoption records and you'll need to check into the state's way of handling them.

Also have you started Googling for sites that assist people who are looking for bio parents. You might come across a site in Idaho dedicated to registering children and parents who are looking for each other as well as sites and forums solely dedicated to providing assistance in these searches.

When it comes to DNA testing look at the closest matches that you have. Hopefully you will find similar names on family trees of those matches.

Testing doesn't guarantee finding bio parents, but if your family has been in the US for a long time the number of matches you have will be larger (more than likely) than if they are more recent immigrants (especially at Ancestry.com which has only recently begun testing world wide compared to FTDNA, for example.)

Last edited by keigh; 7th June 2017 at 04:24 PM.
Old 7th June 2017, 08:26 PM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaceQuinn View Post
I learned I was adopted when I was much younger and I also made a decision that I wasn't looking for parents. Now that I am older I am still not looking for parents, just people that happen to have made me. I love my adoptive parents and wouldn't give them up. I appreciate the fact the people that gave me up for adoption did so because they wanted me to have life. I would however like to know more about my background and history. I've taken 3 different DNA tests from different companies to see where my background could possibly come from. I was born in Boise, ID on August 10 1976 in St Luke's hospital. The stuff I know about my biological parents is speculative because they are not on my birth certificate. I started this search mainly because of health reasons. I don't have any major health problems as of yet, but i also don't have any family history to go off of.

I appreciate any help or advice given.
You mention above that you've tested at three different companies. Since FTDNA is one of the three main companies, it sounds like you've tested here. Read my post in another thread at http://forums.familytreedna.com/show...04&postcount=2. It gives a link to the adoptees project at FTDNA, which you should join if you haven't yet.

It also gives a link to a Facebook page specifically set up to advise adoptees on using DNA testing to find their biological parents and other close biological relatives. The administrators of the FTDNA adoptees project and the Facebook page can both help you make the most of your DNA test results, so that you have the best chance to succeed in finding your relatives.