Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Announcements and New Features

Announcements and New Features Announcements of changes at Family Tree DNA and to the FTDNA website. This is also for general communications by FTDNA staff.

Old 17th February 2017, 10:00 AM
FTDNA Customer

Will the myOrigins results take longer than 24 hours?

Will the myOrigins results take longer than 24 hours? I transferred mine yesterday, thought it might be done in the morning and it's not..
Old 18th February 2017, 08:40 PM
FTDNA Customer

I uploaded my ancestryDNA raw data to here. Now they want me to pay to see it. I used Gedmatch for free and thought this site would at least let me view my own data upload.
Old 18th February 2017, 09:23 PM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryS. View Post
I uploaded my ancestryDNA raw data to here. Now they want me to pay to see it. I used Gedmatch for free and thought this site would at least let me view my own data upload.
FTDNA sent out an e-mail to project administrators a couple of days ago about the new policy for uploads from AncestryDNA and 23andMe. You can read the full text of the e-mail earlier in this thread at http://forums.familytreedna.com/show...3&postcount=78. This quote from the e-mail addresses your complaint about paying "to see it."

"23andMe© V3 and AncestryDNA™ V1 now receive a full list of matches and the ability to use the Matrix feature FOR FREE. For only $19, the customer can unlock the Chromosome Browser, myOrigins, and ancientOrigins."

If your AncestryDNA results were from their V1 testing chip (pre-June, 2016), that quote applies to you. If you received your results after May, 2016, then you probably tested on the V2 chip, which doesn't seem to be covered by this. Still, having to pay only $19 for all the features of a $79 test, with no subscription fees, sounds like a good deal to me.
Old 18th February 2017, 10:11 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMaddi View Post
If your AncestryDNA results were from their V1 testing chip (pre-June, 2016), that quote applies to you. If you received your results after May, 2016, then you probably tested on the V2 chip, which doesn't seem to be covered by this. Still, having to pay only $19 for all the features of a $79 test, with no subscription fees, sounds like a good deal to me.
I think Roberta Estes clarifies this policy in her blog:

https://dna-explained.com/2017/02/16...transfer-kits/

I wondered how FTDNA was going to handle the drastically fewer SNPs for genealogical purposes with the 23andMe V4 and the lastest AncestryDNA kits. This is its solution:

"23andMe© V4 and AncestryDNA™ V2 receive all but the most speculative matches (6th to remote cousins), also for free. After transferring, if the customer wants to receive speculative matches, they will have to submit a sample and have a Family Finder run at the reduced price of $59."
Old 18th February 2017, 10:23 PM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgian1950 View Post
I think Roberta Estes clarifies this policy in her blog:

https://dna-explained.com/2017/02/16...transfer-kits/

I wondered how FTDNA was going to handle the drastically fewer SNPs for genealogical purposes with the 23andMe V4 and the lastest AncestryDNA kits. This is its solution:

"23andMe© V4 and AncestryDNA™ V2 receive all but the most speculative matches (6th to remote cousins), also for free. After transferring, if the customer wants to receive speculative matches, they will have to submit a sample and have a Family Finder run at the reduced price of $59."
Thanks for the clarification. It's funny that Roberta Estes' blog on this is more detailed and less confusing than FTDNA's e-mail to administrators!
Old 18th February 2017, 10:25 PM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. It's funny that Roberta Estes' blog on this is more detailed and less confusing than FTDNA's e-mail to administrators!
Actually, I'd say it's typical!
Old 18th February 2017, 11:57 PM
mtDNA: K1a3 | Y-DNA: R-L1308*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryS. View Post
JerryS., I'm not sure what you mean by "let me view my own data upload" (maybe your ethnic origins? or raw file?), but did you read everything on the Autosomal Transfer page before you signed up and transferred? It says very plainly what features transfers will get, and how much it will cost to access other tools:
Quote:
What do I get if I transfer my autosomal DNA?
After transferring your results, for free, you will receive a list of your autosomal matches from our database and have access to our Family Finder - Matrix. The Matrix feature allows you to select and compare the autosomal DNA relationship between up to ten of your matches at one time.
Note: Family Finder is the name of our autosomal DNA test.

After transferring, you can unlock all Family Finder features, which include the Chromosome Browser, myOrigins, and ancientOrigins for only $19.

What is the difference between an autosomal transfer and the Family Finder test?
With the free autosomal DNA transfer, you transfer your autosomal DNA by uploading a raw data file on our website. After uploading, you have free access to your autosomal matches and the Family Finder - Matrix. Access to all other Family Finder features are at an additional cost.

When you purchase a Family Finder test, we obtain sample DNA from you; once your sample has been analyzed by Family Tree DNA, you will have full access to your autosomal matches and all Family Finder features.
georgian1950 and MMaddi have posted the conditions for certain versions from other vendors.
Old 19th February 2017, 06:10 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
The problem I see is that Roberta isn't speaking for FTDNA. My question is, will FTDNA do what Roberta says.

It is too bad that FTDNA has such a problem making things clear
Old 19th February 2017, 09:11 AM
FTDNA Customer

I uploaded a 23andMe v4 kit for comparison with an AncestryDNA v1 kit I had previously uploaded to FTDNA. It appears that the cutoff for speculative relatives is 12.5 cM for the longest block. This removes most of the matches in the 4th to distant and 5th to distant bins.

A high percentage of those are false positives (pseudo-segments), but I did have some interesting triangulated groups in the 10 cM range. If you really want to work with segments under 12.5 cM, you will need to purchase a FF kit directly from FTDNA (or My Heritage, I presume, although I haven't spotted any reports from MH customers yet).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FTDNA_v4_xfer.jpg (18.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 22nd May 2017, 05:04 PM
FTDNA Customer

Ancestry Autosomal Transfers

Given the dearth of posts here, it looks like this forum is lightly attended. I've seen a great deal of comment that the "new" Ancestry autosomal test (V2) is much inferior to the previous test and to FTDNA. I have uploaded two prior individuals to FTDNA with no problem. However, the latest attempt indicates that the raw data file is "corrupt." The same zip file uploaded just fine on GEDMatch.

Thinking it might be a version difference, I opened the zip file which states: "Data was collected using AncestryDNA array version: V1.0, Data is formatted using AncestryDNA converter version: V1.0"

Either the comment about V1 is incorrect or FTDNA's upload utility has issues.

There are about 669,000 SNPS from rs369202065, position 569388 on Chr. 1 through rs199474699, position 15990 on Chr 26 (?) in the latest Ancestry file. This does not seem like significantly fewer SNPs than the other tests, although possibly fewer overlaps.

Does "anyone" know why the most recent Ancestry autosomal file does not transfer, despite claiming to be V1?

Thanks! JW