Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > BIG Y and SNP Discovery

BIG Y and SNP Discovery This area is for talk about BIG Y results.

Old 15th February 2017, 04:26 PM
FTDNA Customer

why more "Shared Novel Variants" than "Novel Variants"??

I recently received my Big Y results and am attempting to learn to understand them.

Can anyone tell me why I have 22 entries when I click on my "Novel Variants" tab but when i switch to matching, it reports my top match shares a larger number, 37, Novel variants with me?

more detail: When I click on the "37", in my match list for my top match's "Shared Novel Variants" entry, a popup titled "Shared Novel Variants with {Match Name}" lists 37 entries in the popup's "Shared" tab. On the popup's "{BertP's} SNPs" tab I have 1 entry with the text "These are the novel variants found in (BertP)'s Big Y results and not in {Top Match}'s results. On the popup's "{Top Match}'s SNPs" tab, I find 6 entries with the text "These are the novel variants found in {Top Match}'s Big Y results and not in (BertP)'s results."

Last edited by Bertp; 15th February 2017 at 04:35 PM. Reason: more detail
Old 19th February 2017, 05:29 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertp View Post
I recently received my Big Y results and am attempting to learn to understand them.

Can anyone tell me why I have 22 entries when I click on my "Novel Variants" tab but when i switch to matching, it reports my top match shares a larger number, 37, Novel variants with me?

more detail: When I click on the "37", in my match list for my top match's "Shared Novel Variants" entry, a popup titled "Shared Novel Variants with {Match Name}" lists 37 entries in the popup's "Shared" tab. On the popup's "{BertP's} SNPs" tab I have 1 entry with the text "These are the novel variants found in (BertP)'s Big Y results and not in {Top Match}'s results. On the popup's "{Top Match}'s SNPs" tab, I find 6 entries with the text "These are the novel variants found in {Top Match}'s Big Y results and not in (BertP)'s results."
There are 15-17 locations which are causing recurrent glitches in shared novel variant lists - they were named SNPs (so not novel) in the earliest test results but quality concerns caused FTDNA to declassify them. Failure to work through the consequences of this change means that some elements of the matching programs treat them as novel, others not. Exactly which ones appear in your shared lists depends on when you and your match got your results. You can easily spot them because the Reference and Genotype columns have the same letter - they should be disregarded.