Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > Family Finder Advanced Topics

Family Finder Advanced Topics Advanced discussion about Family Tree DNA's Family Finder Product.

Old 3rd February 2017, 02:51 PM
FTDNA Customer

Question FF - Family Matching Tool

Is there anywhere I can find how to do this "Family Finder - Family Matching Tool" It shows "Paternal", "Maternal" and "Both" matches. I keep reading the FTDNA learning Centers instructions and somehow just cannot figure it out.
Help?
Old 3rd February 2017, 03:32 PM
mtDNA: K1a3 | Y-DNA: R-L1308*

That tool will work if these things are done:
1. You have uploaded a GEDCOM file, so you have a family tree at FTDNA
2. You have tested known relatives on your paternal and/or maternal line
3. You link a tested relative to your family tree at FTDNA

When you follow the instructions from the Learning Center for the Family Matching Tool, at what point are you having difficulty?

Here are a couple of blog posts by Roberta Estes on this topic:
Family Tree DNA Introduces Phased Family Finder Matches
Additional Relatives Added to Phased Family Matches at Family Tree DNA

Last edited by KATM; 3rd February 2017 at 03:35 PM.
Old 3rd February 2017, 08:13 PM
FTDNA Customer

Make sure you add and link all relatives of yours who have tested for FF. Up through 3rd cousin.

You wont get a lot of phased matches for thirds but you might get a few.

One third added about 20 phased matches for me and the next 3rd cousin added just one more.
Old 4th February 2017, 04:13 PM
FTDNA Customer

FF - Matching Tool

I have trouble with the Family Matching Tool in linking my brother, he is already in my tree I bring up the Dashboard, then my previous dna matches list comes up, then click on the Family Finder list and every time I add him, they do not say "he is already in my tree" and add him separately from his icon that is already there.

Somehow I am not linking it properly. What am I doing wrong

Thank you for your help.
Old 4th February 2017, 04:29 PM
FTDNA Customer

Edit your brothers name in your tree to match his name on kit, this should, might not be immediate, bring up a purple icon on his name in your tree in which you can use to link him.
Attached Images
File Type: png possible match.png (6.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 6th February 2017, 03:46 PM
FTDNA Customer

FF - Matching Tool

I have the matches that I can link now "linked". There are some of these that have Mr. or Mrs with their names and some are married surnames and some both birth and married surnames. I still have not activated the "Paternal, Maternal, Both" Finder Tabs My guess is that most of my matches are 3rd Cousins/1Removed thru 5th Cousins. Only have my brother and me which does not seem to activate the Paternal, Maternal or Both. Parents are deceased, hopefully we can find a 2nd or 3rd cousin to activate the Family Matching Tool. Am I correct in this assessment.
Thanks to all for your help.
Old 6th February 2017, 07:13 PM
FTDNA Customer

No siblings will not work in regards to Maternal and Paternal tabs due to both sharing the Maternal and Paternal lines.

Only works with Parents/Aunts/Uncles/Grandparents and cousins in the 1st to 3rd range(FTDNA's suggested relationship range) who share a 9cM+ longest segment with you.
Old 12th February 2017, 06:55 AM
FTDNA Customer

Siblings will be allocated a purple symbol and appear in the 'both' category.
Old 15th February 2017, 02:34 PM
FTDNA Customer

I've been editing my family tree to exclude anyone in the database I plan to link. For example, I omit my first cousin from my family tree, but I include his mother (my aunt). Then once the tree is loaded, I go into that page, ask the system to find my cousin as one of my matches, and drag him over to identify him as my aunt's son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjorie View Post
I have trouble with the Family Matching Tool in linking my brother, he is already in my tree I bring up the Dashboard, then my previous dna matches list comes up, then click on the Family Finder list and every time I add him, they do not say "he is already in my tree" and add him separately from his icon that is already there.

Somehow I am not linking it properly. What am I doing wrong

Thank you for your help.
Old 24th February 2017, 02:20 PM
FTDNA Customer

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairielad View Post
No siblings will not work in regards to Maternal and Paternal tabs due to both sharing the Maternal and Paternal lines.

Only works with Parents/Aunts/Uncles/Grandparents and cousins in the 1st to 3rd range(FTDNA's suggested relationship range) who share a 9cM+ longest segment with you.
That is a "bummer" ! so all I have will be cousins, and can only verify by their trees as to whether we connect on maternal or paternal....so this new tool will not help me, is that correct.?