Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA Success Stories

DNA Success Stories How DNA helped solve a family brick wall. We encourage you to publish your story here. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 4th November 2015, 07:48 AM
yDNA=R-A5000, mtDNA=T2b.

Smile new cousin discovered

Me and my dad had both already tested with FTDNA, so when my son's turn came I decided to try something different and tested him with ANCESTRYDNA instead. Quite soon I found an "excellent" match at 2nd cousin level as his top result . The problem though was a surname that no-one in the family knew or recognized before. So, aftet a bit of research, lots of emails, and several GedMatch transfers later, and it transpires that the match is confirmed as a previously unknown daughter of my great-uncle, and a new cousin to my dad, me, and my son! She never knew who her father was until now, but now she has a whole new branch of her family to explore. It just goes to show that DNA research is a real science and that all sort of new discoveries can be proven if you are willing to make the effort!
Old 4th November 2015, 08:28 PM
FTDNA Customer

Congratulations on your new cousin!

Wow - how exciting! What an amazingly-wonderful discovery!
You must be feeling that it was so worth the effort!
You have a new cousin and your cousin has her new family - what an outcome.

Thank you for sharing this good news!
Old 4th November 2015, 09:17 PM
FTDNA Customer

Terrific Story

What a great story!
Old 13th November 2015, 08:41 AM
FTDNA Customer

Wow! Thats a really nice Story!
Old 9th February 2017, 06:54 AM
FTDNA Customer

Unique and very wonderfull story....!!!

Thanks for sharing this with us
Old 13th February 2017, 10:17 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulanthony1976 View Post
Me and my dad had both already tested with FTDNA, so when my son's turn came I decided to try something different and tested him with ANCESTRYDNA instead. Quite soon I found an "excellent" match at 2nd cousin level as his top result . The problem though was a surname that no-one in the family knew or recognized before. So, aftet a bit of research, lots of emails, and several GedMatch transfers later, and it transpires that the match is confirmed as a previously unknown daughter of my great-uncle, and a new cousin to my dad, me, and my son! She never knew who her father was until now, but now she has a whole new branch of her family to explore. It just goes to show that DNA research is a real science and that all sort of new discoveries can be proven if you are willing to make the effort!

If I may can I ask how long it took to get your son's Ancestry DNA results back? I just tested with them- I have already tested here- I wanted my father to test with them but he refused and since I already had the kit I figured why not? He is adopted so the more information the better. They logged my test kit as received 2 weeks ago- what I am concerned about is that it still does not say "processing" yet. They have not told me there was an error. Did your son's kit also say that and then when the results came in it switched to processing or does it really take several weeks for them to start processing the sample?

Thanks!

AB