Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Group Administrators Forums > Group Administrators - Advanced Chat

Group Administrators - Advanced Chat Discussion forum for Project Group Administrators. Exchange experiences, ideas and interpretation of results.

Old 14th December 2011, 10:50 AM
FTDNA Customer

change in the new GAP

Just logged into my GAP page and find that this notice appears at the top of everyone's Family Finder Matches page:

"You are logged in as a GAP Administrator. This user has changed his/her settings so the Family Finder known relationships cannot be changed by GAP Administrators."

We didn't change any settings, so I'm assuming this was done as a system change.
Old 14th December 2011, 12:47 PM
Webinar Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwight View Post
Just logged into my GAP page and find that this notice appears at the top of everyone's Family Finder Matches page:

"You are logged in as a GAP Administrator. This user has changed his/her settings so the Family Finder known relationships cannot be changed by GAP Administrators."

We didn't change any settings, so I'm assuming this was done as a system change.
Yes. After today's update, there are now different permission levels for project administrator access to functions on the myFTDNA pages. By default, everyone is set to the "Restricted" level for all projects, which gives GAPs permission to do most things necessary to help project members, but which restricts them from complete control over the myFTDNA account.

A user can also choose to set their permissions to Read-Only to prevent an admin from making any changes. (Per Project)

And, if a project admin should have 100% control over a kit, there's now a Kit Authorization option within the GAP, where the admin can enter the kit ID and password to get full access. This, of course, should really only be used where the project admin is also the kit owner, and therefore already has the password. Hopefully this doesn't need to be said, but I'm going to say it here just in case... project admins should NOT go around asking project members for their passwords

Elise
Old 15th December 2011, 03:13 AM
FTDNA Customer

I am logged in as GAP. Where do I find the Kit Authorization option? Is it at the GAP level? Or is it within MyFTDNA? If so, where exactly? I have looked, but can not find.

Timothy Peterman
Old 15th December 2011, 08:09 AM
mtDNA: J2b1a1(a) | Y-DNA: I2a1a | Horse Person

Apparently as GAP I cannot even access the kits which are my own..mine, sister's, son etc. Everyone seems determined to make things difficult..
Old 15th December 2011, 10:06 AM
Webinar Coordinator

Timothy: In the GAP, under My Account, click Kit Authorization.

Kathleen: See the new Kit Authorization feature in the GAP, as I just explained above.

Elise
Old 15th December 2011, 11:35 AM
mtDNA: J2b1a1(a) | Y-DNA: I2a1a | Horse Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by efgen View Post
Timothy: In the GAP, under My Account, click Kit Authorization.

Kathleen: See the new Kit Authorization feature in the GAP, as I just explained above.

Elise
Elise
I did go in and figure it out..I drink less coffee these days so it takes longer..
although I had to do it on every group I administer, which is 5 times..maybe shouldn't have myself in all 5 but oh well they are my relatives..
Thanks
Old 1st January 2012, 08:14 AM
FTDNA Customer

GAP 2.0 Beta

I have paid for about 15 of the kits that have been tested in my project, but I listed the emails of the participants so that they would get the results directly from FTDNA.. I have had an understanding with them that I could order additional tests and could join them to projects of interest, upload their data to Ysearch, etc. In fact, I included such wording in my project description. Now it looks like I am losing these and will have to ask the members to make any needed changes. I guess I should have listed myself as primary recipient of all data. Unfortunately, over 50% of my members never reply to emails., so future management of a project is going to be a nightmare. The time I have been spending helping my members with research will now be spend just trying to get them to perform the basic tasks that they have been happy to leave to me.
Paul
Old 1st January 2012, 08:44 AM
Webinar Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Burns View Post
I have had an understanding with them that I could order additional tests and could join them to projects of interest, upload their data to Ysearch, etc. In fact, I included such wording in my project description. Now it looks like I am losing these and will have to ask the members to make any needed changes.
Paul,

To my knowledge, you're not losing these 3 things that you mention, with the new default settings. The default will restrict/limit *certain* things, but not others. So before you assume that you will be losing access to do everything, wait until you see the entire list of what the default setting will and won't allow you to do -- I believe the list will be published in the next myFTDNA2.0 update, hopefully next week. In the meantime, try the different functions within a member's myFTDNA page to see what it does or doesn't allow you to do. Just because one page says that admins can't make changes, that doesn't mean that setting applies to every page or every function.

That said, if you are paying for people's tests and have permission to have complete access to their accounts, then you should be including your own email address as a contact so that you do have full access to the account, both technically and administratively (ie, FTDNA will see you as a valid contact). FTDNA provides a space for two email addresses, so make use of that. The first email address is always the one that will be displayed to matches. The "additional" email address will get all official notifications from FTDNA, but will not be displayed to matches.

Elise

Last edited by efgen; 1st January 2012 at 08:50 AM.
Old 3rd January 2012, 02:47 PM
FTDNA Customer

Elise,
Thanks for your reply. I will try to change the email addresses on those 12-15 accounts for which I personally paid, though I am wondering if the warning on the contact page, which says that the administrator cannot make changes to the data, will apply.
Perhaps you can help with another of my three concerns. Previously, I was able to upload the data for new members directly to Ysearch via a "hotspot" on their Matches page. I then would assign a password and notify the member of his new Ysearch code and password. I did this because members were not uploading to Ysearch themselves, so I did it for well over 100 members with never a complaint (I included in my project description that I can do this).
But in the new format, I cannot find any way to perform this easy-upload to Ysearch. Am I being blind, or has it disappeared?
Paul
Old 3rd January 2012, 03:29 PM
FTDNA Customer

Thumbs up This just in: Elise wins Most Helpful Forum Correspondent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Burns View Post
.... Elise,
Thanks for your reply....
You're a Champ, Elise.