Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > Family Finder Advanced Topics

Family Finder Advanced Topics Advanced discussion about Family Tree DNA's Family Finder Product.

Old 25th April 2018, 08:50 AM
FTDNA Customer

To anyone on this forum with definite German ancestry

Has anyone here with definitive German ancestry ever taken the Family Finder test and come up with no Western European but a high percentage of British Isles?
Old 25th April 2018, 03:46 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda Hatton View Post
Has anyone here with definitive German ancestry ever taken the Family Finder test and come up with no Western European but a high percentage of British Isles?
Western European people and British Isles people share a common origin and there will be overlap.

Both areas saw Celtic settlement and Germanic settlement, and not to mention the groups of people who pre-date the Celts and Germanics.
Old 25th April 2018, 08:11 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Father: 50% German, 25% UK, 25% Scotland
Mother: 50% Norwegian, 25% Danish, 12.5% Chippewa, 12.5% French Canadian

Me:25% German, 25% Norwegian, 12.5% Danish, 12.5 UK, 12.5% Scots, 6.25 Chippewa and 6.25 French Canadian

Results from FTDNA:

Scandinavia 42%
West and Central Europe 28%
British Isles 15%
Iberia 7%
Southeast Europe 6%

The Iberian result is the odd one for me....
Old 25th April 2018, 09:02 PM
FTDNA Customer

The British/German (and Scandinavian) results are definitely just a big mess.

I should be about 35% British, 25% German, and 12.5% Norwegian but myOrigins results:
54% British Isles
6% West/Central Europe
0% Scandinavian

My dad should be about 20% British and 30% German - his results:
0% British Isles
65% West/Central Europe

My mom should be about 50% British, 20% German (and about 2-3% Dutch and 2-3% French), and 25% Norwegian - her results:
35% British Isles
0% West/Central Europe
42% Scandinavian

My paternal grandfather should be about 40% British and 60% German - his results:
0% British
84% West/Central Europe

These regions just share too much DNA to tell them apart, at least with FTDNA's reference populations. LivingDNA was able to tell them apart very accurately for me.

Last edited by Germanica; 25th April 2018 at 09:04 PM.
Old 26th April 2018, 02:09 AM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

Read this

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...erman-ancestry

My mother is about 75% French and German. She always gets too high a percentage of British Isles and a low percentage of Western European. The peoples of Europe have been freely mixing for thousands of years - migrations, wars, conquest, trade, individuals moving - just read a history!

Here's another article https://dna-explained.com/2016/02/10...g-a-conundrum/
Old 26th April 2018, 07:03 AM
FTDNA Customer

three full siblings, 1 grandparent with British and the other three grandparents with German ancestors. Today the latter could also be called half Polish/half German, because half of their ancestors were from Lower Silesia - apply your personal definition of 'German'.

European 100%
British Isles 42%
East Europe 20%
Scandinavia 14%
Southeast Europe 12%
West and Central Europe 12%

European 100%
British Isles 75%
East Europe 25%

European 98%
Scandinavia 40%
West and Central Europe 35%
East Europe 23%
Trace Results
West Middle East < 2% (ignored below)

It is very interesting to see that the highest percentage for each region quickly adds up to 185% (to my understanding 200% would be the theoretical maximum, but typical percentage should be much lower):
British Isles 75%
Scandinavia 40%
West and Central Europe 35%
East Europe 23%
Southeast Europe 12%
SUM 185%

average for the three siblings:
British Isles 39%
East Europe 23%
Scandinavia 18%
West and Central Europe 16%
Southeast Europe 4%

To me, these ethnicity tests (below continental level) are no more than interesting entertainment/imagination.
Old 26th April 2018, 09:10 AM
FTDNA Customer

This regards a particular person.

The reason I wonder is because someone unrelated to me has German ancestry AND British ancestry coming from several different bloodlines in his ancestry; when he tested at FTDNA, he was almost completely British Isles, but when he tested with Ancestry, he had over 30 per cent Western European. I wondered if FTDNA was confusing German with Anglo-Saxon.
None of the percentages in the replies on this post so far are very shocking, considering you don't inherit ethnicity according to how many people in your family had that ancestry; it depends more on who's genetics you favored.
Old 26th April 2018, 02:43 PM
FTDNA Customer

What is there to confuse? The Anglo-Saxons take their name from the Germanic tribes known as the Angles, Saxons and Jutes who came from Schleswig-Holstein in the Jutland peninsula.

BOTH Germany and the British Isles have an overlap in the people who settled in these areas between the early hunter-gathering people to the later Celts and Germanics.

Ethnicity estimation is not an exact science. To be fair, depending on your definition of Western Europe even the British Isles can be included in the geographical term...
Old 28th April 2018, 06:50 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
The reason I wonder is because someone unrelated to me has German ancestry AND British ancestry coming from several different bloodlines in his ancestry; when he tested at FTDNA, he was almost completely British Isles, but when he tested with Ancestry, he had over 30 per cent Western European. I wondered if FTDNA was confusing German with Anglo-Saxon.
Angles and Saxons were Germanic tribes. So it's not really a "confusion" it's just means the British and Germans share a lot of DNA. One company's samples from Britain might be very Germanic, resulting in German DNA showing up British, while another company's British samples might be less Germanic (more Celtic or Viking) and therefore someone's British Anglo-Saxon DNA turns up in West Europe. (That's sort of a simplification but in principle it should illustrate what I mean).

Quote:
None of the percentages in the replies on this post so far are very shocking, considering you don't inherit ethnicity according to how many people in your family had that ancestry; it depends more on who's genetics you favored.
That's true, but if you want a comparison, I can give you that. I gave you my family's FTDNA results, but you can view our results from multiple companies here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...sW3Et4/pubhtml - My FTDNA and AncestryDNA results are fairly consistent now with myOrigins 2.0, but check out my dad and paternal grandfather. My dad goes from 22% British and Ireland combined at AncestryDNA to 0% British Isles at FTDNA. 19% Europe West to 65% West/Central Europe. My grandfather's British: 67% vs 11%. Europe West 15% vs West/Central Europe 0%. Scandinavian 1% vs 48%.
Old 29th April 2018, 08:03 AM
FTDNA Customer

Basically the current version of Origons is not very good

My brother has: 85% British Isles
10% Southeast Europe
5& East Europe

My origons are 55& British Isles
40% West and Central Europe
5% Southeast Europe

Our ancestors are English, Scot, Irish, German and French.