Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA and Genealogy for Beginners

DNA and Genealogy for Beginners Everything you wanted to know about DNA and Genealogy but didn't know where to ask. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 17th January 2013, 12:40 PM
FTDNA Customer

GEDCOM issues- Father's mother not showing up

Hello all,

I was just reading a thread about a member's mother dying and you gave instructions about uploading an Ancestry tree to a GEDCOM file. I ahd no idea I could do that without purchasing software.

I went and uploaded my tree and for some reason my father's mother (birth mother) is not showing up in his GEDCOM. I have gone back and changed the date format and resaved and retyped her name just to make sure there wasn't some weird glitch but she is still missing. Everyone else shows up.

Ancestry help topics are not helpful and I suspect they will not know the answer. Any suggestions?

I have her listed as his birth mother. I do not have his adopted mother listed (they were not close and she is long deceased). His unknown birth father shows up so I know that selecting that option isn't a problem.

Suggestions?

Amybeth
Old 23rd January 2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyblum View Post
Hello all,

I was just reading a thread about a member's mother dying and you gave instructions about uploading an Ancestry tree to a GEDCOM file. I ahd no idea I could do that without purchasing software.

I went and uploaded my tree and for some reason my father's mother (birth mother) is not showing up in his GEDCOM. I have gone back and changed the date format and resaved and retyped her name just to make sure there wasn't some weird glitch but she is still missing. Everyone else shows up.

Ancestry help topics are not helpful and I suspect they will not know the answer. Any suggestions?

I have her listed as his birth mother. I do not have his adopted mother listed (they were not close and she is long deceased). His unknown birth father shows up so I know that selecting that option isn't a problem.

Suggestions?

Amybeth
Old 23rd January 2013, 02:28 PM

Red face Gedcom problems

Quote:
Hello all,

Suggestions?

Amybeth

I had the same problem when I downloaded my tree from Ancestry and uploaded it here. The whole tree looked fine EXCEPT my maternal grandmother was missing, nobody else. to make a long story short, after deleting it and uploading it again a few times it finally worked and Grandma was there.I don't know why, but its fine now.
Hope that helps
Sue
Old 23rd January 2013, 03:12 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Hello all,

Suggestions?

Amybeth
Check and see at ancestry which mother is set as preferred, I don't think the software at FTDNA will allow more then one person to be shown as the mother and it will choose the one designated as preferred.

In ancestry click on mother in question >edit this person>Relationships
In mother section set birth mothers as preferred.

Last edited by prairielad; 23rd January 2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 23rd January 2013, 03:27 PM
FTDNA Customer

I reread and see that you mention that you don't have the adoptive mother listed, I would still check the relationship section to see if birth mother is listed in the mother section..
Old 23rd January 2013, 08:12 PM
FTDNA Customer

Could the problem be that she was born less than 100 years ago and you don't have the box checked to display people born after that? FTDNA ignores whether or not the person is dead for display purposes, it just uses the birth date.
Old 26th January 2013, 12:41 AM
FTDNA Customer

Thanks everyone.

I figured it out- I am not sure if this was just an Ancestry thing but I had to choose Beatrice (father's birth mother) as the spouse of my father's suspected birth father. They were not married as he was actually married to someone else and I am not even sure if the man is even his father. But it would not let me have her as my father's mother and him as his father without them being joined. Sigh.

Stupid.
Old 29th January 2013, 08:37 PM
FTDNA Customer

Gedcom issues

I am having the same problem as OP, with the paternal grandmother's name (person no. 7) showing as "unknown".

Her name did appear on the first screen where you choose the name of the focus person number 1. The No. 7 grandmother and her direct ancestors disappear after that screen.

Grandmother's birth, marriage and death dates are entered correctly, and she had only one spouse, who is linked. I have tried deleting the gedcom and uploading it again twice with the same results. This is not a conversion from Ancestry.

I did notice that much earlier ancestors whose birth or death dates are written in both Gregorian and Julian calendar dates are shown as "Hidden".

I have emailed tech support with no response so far.
Old 29th January 2013, 11:51 PM
FTDNA Customer

The problem has to do with their established relationship as spouses if they are living.

Two people can have the same child but unless they are also connected as spouses in Ancestry they won't be connected when the gedcom is exported and you may lose a branch in your tree.

I did this to myself today when creating a test gedcom export. In this case I had both parents listed but I didn't have them listed as spouses to each other, just as parents to me. The gedcom lost the maternal half of the tree after export. I connected them as spouses to each other, reexported and everything was fine.

Matt.
Old 30th January 2013, 02:06 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdexter View Post
Two people can have the same child but unless they are also connected as spouses in Ancestry they won't be connected when the gedcom is exported and you may lose a branch in your tree.
That is clearly a bug in the GEDCOM export of that software.

The GEDCOM standard clearly states that a man and a woman become connected in a family as spouses, if they have a child together (or if they get engaged or married, but this is not required).

Whether or not it helps to file a bug report with ancestry is of course another question.