Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Features Requests & Bug Reports Area

Features Requests & Bug Reports Area This forum is for customers to talk about features they would like to see. It may also be used to report potential website issues and account bugs, though you may get faster service by sending those through the Open a Request feature found in the Customer Service link at the top of the forum page.

Old 15th April 2018, 03:50 PM
FTDNA Customer

Lightbulb American Indian Admixture in White America

Iam requesting this category again.Now I have 22 matches Mitochondria J1c5
No male to test.Only 1 person
Identify themselves out of thousands.Most people don't seem to know how to use DNA testing results,Having not much instruction/permission.I have genealogy to 1500s.When will
the Autosomal tests separate the
Y FROM MITDNA?
Old 26th April 2018, 05:59 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
Iam requesting this category again.Now I have 22 matches Mitochondria J1c5
No male to test.Only 1 person
Identify themselves out of thousands.Most people don't seem to know how to use DNA testing results,Having not much instruction/permission.I have genealogy to 1500s.When will
the Autosomal tests separate the
Y FROM MITDNA?
If you are looking for paternal matches, they should show up as a tab in the Family Finder section. Also, if you have a match to someone definitely identified as maternal, you could do a "not in common with" search of your other matches.
Old 26th April 2018, 12:40 PM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

Autosomal DNA tests don't test Y-DNA or mtDNA. You have to do a separate test for each type.

What do you mean?
Old 27th April 2018, 11:22 AM
FTDNA Customer

Are you perhaps asking about phasing? You will need atDNA from at least one parent to hope to separate shares from each parent.That is how I interpret your question.

mtDNA can suggest American Indian connections (but do not prove), while only two Y haplos are suspected to be from groups of men that settled where people were later known as American Indian.

All claims to provide this AI identification with DNA are sheer bunk, these are cultural definitions, not genetic. I am responding to this very old thread by reflex.

Last edited by clintonslayton76; 27th April 2018 at 11:28 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 2nd May 2018, 02:41 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
Autosomal DNA tests don't test Y-DNA or mtDNA. You have to do a separate test for each type.

What do you mean?
In the autosomal test section, you can sometimes determine if the DNA pertains to the maternal or paternal side...
Old 2nd May 2018, 03:28 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoberlyDrake View Post

That's true. Only the Y DNA test and the mtDNA test (should do full FMS) give the haplogroups.

Autosomal testing with work can separate the maternal matches from the paternal matches but autosomal testing doe not give the haplogroups which many times will suggest NA ethnicity.
Old 9th May 2018, 12:50 PM
FTDNA Customer

Indian Admixture category /thread

Thanks 4 all replys,1 mtmatch self identified,Cherokee.She gave me her brother's ydna.(we have the same Mtdna).Found my white ancestors in OK Indian terrority married to natives
Listed.
and her brothers dnamatch
to someone from Scotland.I have mtfull sequence.I don't have the internet. Doing this by cell phone, slow going but getting there.still checking matches for his ydna.
Old 9th May 2018, 01:51 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Thanks 4 all replys,1 mtmatch self identified,Cherokee.She gave me her brother's ydna.(we have the same Mtdna).Found my white ancestors in OK Indian terrority married to natives
Listed.
to someone from Scotland.I have mtfull sequence.I don't have the internet. Doing this by cell phone, slow going but getting there.still checking matches for his ydna.
A lot of scots in the American colonies intermarried with Cherokees.

Jack
Old 9th May 2018, 01:56 PM
FTDNA Customer

Barbara, how far away is your closest library? Many libraries provide free internet access.
Old 9th May 2018, 06:22 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Listed.
An mtdna match's brother's Y-DNA probably won't have anything to do with your genealogy unless you are just trying to help them out with their family tree. Her brother gets his Y-DNA from his father while you say you are DNA matching her through mtDNA so you are matching through her mother's side so totally separate sides of her family. What is your mtDNA haplogroup?