Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Basics

Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Basics This is an area for those who are new to DNA testing for genealogy can ask about Y-DNA STR based tests and their test results. All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 14th April 2018, 12:15 AM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

I didn't make myself very clear and I left out Morgan's last name, which was "Bryan". I have more than enough Y-DNA matches to prove that Enoch Hampton was really a Hampton and that my mother's grandfather really wasn't a Mobley (his surname) but a Hampton. About 8 years ago, through atDNA testing of a descendant of one of the two brothers I thought was the most likely candidate for the father of Mom's grandfather (who was raised in an orphanage), I proved it was one of the two brothers anyway.

But it's the really close DNA matches Mom has recently amassed at Ancestry, together with the fact that most of them are on the shared matches lists of each of the others, that allows me to say which of the two brothers actually was the father. In fact, it's rather odd how few matches Mom has who are descended from the other brother, and although two of the matches she has who are descended from the other brother share significant amounts of DNA with her, they share little or no DNA with the many matches descended from the brother who was the father.

I'm wondering if this is an isolated phenomenon or if I can apply it to more distant ancestors? Is a person more likely to match descendants of an actual ancestor than to match siblings or cousins of that ancestor?

Going back to the Hampton case. Although finding my mother's true great-grandfather was a wonderful breakthrough, I quickly ran into a brick wall. I found this Hampton's parents without trouble and found out that they were married in Clark Co. KY in 1831. There were quite a few possible Hampton fathers there, but going through wills, deeds, bastardy suits, etc. has never revealed which one of them (if any) was the father of Mom's 2nd great-grandfather. Even worse, although about 7 different Hampton men migrated from Rowan Co., NC to Clark Co., KY between about 1790 and 1810, no one has a clue as to how any one of them was related to any other! But they probably were all related somehow and all descendants of a Scot who arrived in NJ in 1683.

Now here are Mom's DNA results at Ancestry and 23andMe:

Shared DNA segments with descendants of David Hampton m. Sarah Wilson:

Match A - 35 cM across 2 DNA segments
Match B - 31 cM across 1 DNA segment
Match C - 29 cM across 1 DNA segment
Match D - 27 cM across 1 DNA segment
Match E - 27 cM across 2 DNA segment
Match F - 26 cM across 2 DNA segments
Match G - 16 cM across 2 DNA segments

Shared DNA segments with descendants of Obediah Hampton:

Match H - 39 cM across 2 DNA segments
Match I - 30 cM across 3 DNA segments

Plus she has a couple of very distant matches to descendants of Jonathan Hampton.

Now, can I assert with any degree of confidence that Mom is a direct descendant of this particular David Hampton who migrated from Rowan, NC, or can I just say she may be descended from him or from one of his brothers or or one of his cousins, uncles, etc. (whoever they may have been)??? Essentially, can DNA prove anything at all beyond the generations that are closest to you?

And are Obediah and David Likely to be closely related to each other.

It's terrible that Ancestry doesn't give us a chromosome browser. I can't get anyone to answer my messages much less upload to Gedmatch. And I had to create trees myself for at least half of the matches above. That's time-consuming!!! And there are a lot more matches shared with the above people whom I can't even start a tree for, because they don't provide any clue that will give me a start.

Last edited by MoberlyDrake; 14th April 2018 at 12:19 AM.
Old 14th April 2018, 11:13 AM
FTDNA Customer

It still sounds like your situation is different from Paul's. In Paul's case, both Y-DNA and autosomal DNA support Cagle. In your case, only autosomal DNA supports Bryan and Claiborne. It is not the same.