Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > The X-Chromosome > X-DNA Basics

X-DNA Basics This forum is for newbie topics about the X-Chromosome. All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 19th March 2017, 03:50 AM
FTDNA Customer

x DNA match - newbie question

Forgive me in advance for this newbie question, but I'm having trouble following how this works and my own logic...

for background, I am trying to trace my father's grandfather. All my family are British, but we know for sure that my father's grandfather was a US serviceman who was in Liverpool towards the end of the first world war (whether billed there or in the naval hospital, we don't know - a huge amount of US WWI servicemen were billeted in and around the Liverpool area. My grandfather (dad's dad) was born July 1919.

My father and I DNA tested through Ancestry, and I uploaded his results here and unlocked them. On Ancestry we have a huge amount of US matches, the closest match to him is 388 CM (according to Ancestry; sadly this person has not uploaded results elsewhere and has not been on Ancestry on a very long time, and has no tree detail).

I was pretty certain about my dad's tree on his mother's side...

There is a match on here and Ancestry who links into the closest Ancestry match; it's not that close with my dad, 72 CM, highest shared portion is 52cm, on chromosome 7, so I know where to check on FTDNA and gedmatch for others.

BUT. she shares 2cm with my dad on the X chromosome. Given that my dad is male, doesn't this mean that the link must be on his mother's side, and can't possibly be on the family-mystery father's side?

Or is 2cm too small an amount to worry about and it could have come from eons back on the paternal side - the tree that I have traced and am DNA linked to does lead back to Britain on both sides as far as I can tell.

Thank you in advance!
Old 19th March 2017, 04:52 AM
FTDNA Customer

He must have inherited that 2cM on the X-chromosome from his mother, but that doesn't necessarily mean he inherited the other shared segments from his mother. 2cM is quite small. I agree that it could be from aeons ago.
Old 20th March 2017, 02:39 AM
FTDNA Customer

That's what I'm thinking. The tree 'branches' that I have been able to link to all lead back to Britain - they all appear to be very early settlers (although I am wary of trusting Ancestry trees; from England (mostly). where the link would have to be timewise doesn't make any sense for my grandmothers tree; I'm as sure as I can be on her tree, and no one was in the US or anywhere near there. Plus so many of my DNA matches link to each other.

I read something through here that X DNA can essentially pass down unchanged, so until proven otherwise I'm going to assume that X DNA links back into my grandmothers tree - I have a brick wall with her side around 1800 as either baptisms didn't happen or records are missing, and the names are too common for me to be able to for sure say which are my ancestors.
Old 20th March 2017, 08:44 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunoidia View Post
On Ancestry we have a huge amount of US matches, the closest match to him is 388 CM (according to Ancestry; sadly this person has not uploaded results elsewhere and has not been on Ancestry on a very long time, and has no tree detail).
This is a very close match. The person is probably your father's first cousin once or twice removed or his second cousin. Have you tried sending a private message to this person? If you do, they should get an email saying that someone sent them a message. Include your email address in the private message, and maybe they'll reply to you that way. It may be worthwhile because perhaps your match and you share the same great grandfather. Ask if he had an ancestor who was a US serviceman who was in England at the end of WWI.

You may also wish to take a Y-DNA test here at FTDNA as it may shine some light on what your great-grandfather's surname was.

Edit: The match in question actually might be a half first cousin to your father, being that your grandfather and your match's grandfather (grandmother) might have been half brothers (half brother and sister).

Last edited by Dabney Carr; 20th March 2017 at 08:49 PM.