Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > The X-Chromosome > X-DNA Advanced

X-DNA Advanced Advanced topics about X-Chromosome matching and anthropologic blocks based on SNPs and/or STRs.

Old 25th February 2017, 02:45 PM
FTDNA Customer

X Match and Autosomal Match

I (female) have a 4th cousin match (male) on the Family Finder autosomal test. However, we also share on the X. Is it correct that I could not share on the X with him on his paternal line? Would I have to share the X with him on his maternal line?

The surnames which we appear to share are all on his paternal line. So, could I share with him on both lines....paternal, autosomal and maternal X?
Old 27th February 2017, 09:06 AM
FTDNA Customer

he gets his entire X from his mother, therefore you would have to share the X inheritance from his maternal line. Doesn't mean that you aren't also related on his paternal side. Also, the X chromosome can go be inherited in large chunks causing large segment matches which are not to be considered at the same level of importance as the other chromosomes.
Old 28th February 2017, 10:07 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenn4ever View Post
I (female) have a 4th cousin match (male) on the Family Finder autosomal test. However, we also share on the X. Is it correct that I could not share on the X with him on his paternal line? Would I have to share the X with him on his maternal line?

The surnames which we appear to share are all on his paternal line. So, could I share with him on both lines....paternal, autosomal and maternal X?
When you say you share surnames on his paternal line does that mean you have confirmed actual ancestors or surnames matches only that are from the same geographical area as your's, or just a general surname match? How much DNA does he share with you on the X? Your questions would be hard to answer but generally many 4th cousins predicted by Family Finder will be further back than that and he might be related distantly on both sides of your family or who knows maybe all the DNA is coming from your mother's side and the paternal surnames in common are just a coincidence. Have you tested your mother or a close maternal relative?
Old 28th February 2017, 05:23 PM
FTDNA Customer

You didnt mention the size of your X matches.

If they are small, like under 7, you probably should not pay much attention. IMO, FTDNA is misleading us by informing you of X-matches on the main page, when most are very tiny.

I have at least 11 small X matches, seemingly to my paternal side. That's impossible. When I located three of these people on GedMatch, I was able to realize that the very small X matches really did match my mother and the larger autosomal matches were to my father.
Old 1st March 2017, 10:23 AM
FTDNA Customer

Since my first post here I tried to educate myself some on the X chromosome matches and learned that my autosomal match with a person does not necessarily mean that the X match is on the same family line. Thank you for the answers.