Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > myOrigins Basics

Old 10th January 2017, 08:50 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by malchik View Post
I would be inclined to think that this Asia Minor DNA is a false flag... Does anybody know how does that appear in AncestryDNA test?
What do you mean about 'false'
Old 12th January 2017, 06:41 AM
R-Z36 | V3

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your information.

I dont have any Finnish. The middle of the 18th is not actually really very far (4-5 generations). But assuming it is not a problem with the test, wouldnt it be so interesting to know that you might have some ancestor from any country with finno-ugric populations, most likely from Hungary...?
Certainly it would be a very interesting discovery. However, I am more inclined to believe that it is some sort of problem with the model used by ftdna to estimate admixture percentiles. I say so because, until 19th century, my ancestors were all contadini from small villages in Veneto. Maybe I am wrong, but I think that it was not very likely for one of those contadini to get involved with someone from abroad.
Old 15th January 2017, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh w. View Post
What do you mean about 'false'
I completely speculate that the association to Asia Minor is not correct. What is exactly meant by Asia Minor in FTDNA might be labeled something else in other tests.
Old 15th January 2017, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montagnoli View Post
Certainly it would be a very interesting discovery. However, I am more inclined to believe that it is some sort of problem with the model used by ftdna to estimate admixture percentiles. I say so because, until 19th century, my ancestors were all contadini from small villages in Veneto. Maybe I am wrong, but I think that it was not very likely for one of those contadini to get involved with someone from abroad.
Regarding the contadini isolation, that is exactly my case, so I also share the view that the association might be unlikely. I have 0% Finnish DNA in my results.
Old 14th February 2017, 06:32 PM
FTDNA Customer

additional info

My Italian/Asia Minor percentages are small (7%) but i wanted to point out that that 7% shows as "Italy/Greece" on ancestry.com and "Asia Minor" on FTDNA. Everything else matches up between the two results except for that 7%. It's actually the same test, i just transferred the ancestry kit to FTDNA.
Old 14th February 2017, 06:45 PM
R-Z36 | V3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Jivin View Post
My Italian/Asia Minor percentages are small (7%) but i wanted to point out that that 7% shows as "Italy/Greece" on ancestry.com and "Asia Minor" on FTDNA. Everything else matches up between the two results except for that 7%. It's actually the same test, i just transferred the ancestry kit to FTDNA.
That's an interesting information! Thank you for sharing.
Old 2nd March 2017, 11:02 AM
R-Z36 | V3

Quote:
Regarding the contadini isolation, that is exactly my case, so I also share the view that the association might be unlikely. I have 0% Finnish DNA in my results.
Hi malchik. Let me ask you a question. I am supposing you are also north-Italian (or from north-Italian origin, anyway). You said you have 0% Finnish on MO. My question is: do you have a non-zero percentage of Fennoscandian on Eurogenes k-36? Another question: do you have dna matches from Finland, Norway or northern Russia (Siberia)? I am asking you these questions because I have 6,56% Fennoscandian on k-36, and also autosomal and X matches from the places which I've mentioned above, and I would like to know if these facts have any statistic significance. In the case of X matches, I have two from Norway and five from north Russia. Given that I share segments of no more than 10 cM with these people, if other people of norhern Italian origin also have matches from such places I would disregard these facts as not having statistic relevance. I thank you in advance.
Old 2nd March 2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montagnoli View Post
Hi malchik. Let me ask you a question. I am supposing you are also north-Italian (or from north-Italian origin, anyway). You said you have 0% Finnish on MO. My question is: do you have a non-zero percentage of Fennoscandian on Eurogenes k-36? Another question: do you have dna matches from Finland, Norway or northern Russia (Siberia)? I am asking you these questions because I have 6,56% Fennoscandian on k-36, and also autosomal and X matches from the places which I've mentioned above, and I would like to know if these facts have any statistic significance. In the case of X matches, I have two from Norway and five from north Russia. Given that I share segments of no more than 10 cM with these people, if other people of norhern Italian origin also have matches from such places I would disregard these facts as not having statistic relevance. I thank you in advance.
Ciao montagnoli, yes, the majority of my ancestors come from Veneto. I have 0.6 Fennoscandian in K36 and no clearly identifiable matches in MO from the countries you mentioned.

I cannot say whether your results have any statistic relevance or not. I think it is plausible that some calculators simply associate some markers to some ethnicity, lets say A, in the presence of admixture B, when otherwise it would associate to C in the lack of admixture B. So in your case, you could have more or less than 6.56% Fennoscandian.

For example, it is easier to differentiate South Chinese component in an European test taker with such mixed ancestry, then in an Vietnamese test taker. Capisci?

Is your haplogroup I1?
Old 2nd March 2017, 02:49 PM
R-Z36 | V3

Quote:
Ciao montagnoli, yes, the majority of my ancestors come from Veneto. I have 0.6 Fennoscandian in K36 and no clearly identifiable matches in MO from the countries you mentioned.

I cannot say whether your results have any statistic relevance or not. I think it is plausible that some calculators simply associate some markers to some ethnicity, lets say A, in the presence of admixture B, when otherwise it would associate to C in the lack of admixture B. So in your case, you could have more or less than 6.56% Fennoscandian.

For example, it is easier to differentiate South Chinese component in an European test taker with such mixed ancestry, then in an Vietnamese test taker. Capisci?

Is your haplogroup I1?
Ciao malchik, it's nice to know that you are also from Veneto (la terra dove i osei camina e el leon vola ). Thank you for your answer. I was inclined to consider my 5% Finnish result on MO as a problem of that calculator, but this Fennoscandian result on k-36, and, above all, these matches, are really intriguing me a bit.

My Y haplogroup is R-M269 (R1b1a), but I've done just the str test. I intend to do snp test soon, in order to know in what subclade I am. Anyway, I am suspecting that this Finnish result is from my maternal side, because of those Finnish, Norwegian and Siberian X-matches (I have those matches at Gedmatch, not at Family Finder). I have also a lot of matches whose mitochondrial haplogroup is U5.

Now I am awaiting results from a mtFull Sequence test. Maybe my results in this test can reveal something interesting regarding these matches and the rest. As I said before, I continue to think as something very unlikely (although not impossible, of course) that contadini from small villages in Veneto would get involved with someone from abroad. La ringrazio ancora.
Old 2nd March 2017, 04:51 PM
FTDNA Customer

Magyars (Hungary) and Finns descend from the same population near the Ural Mts. They share a similar language and many from both have the N haplogroup. You might look into that.

However the Finns peopled Finland I think 2000 years ago and the Magyars 1000 years ago so who knows if MO would counting Hungarian blended in with existing Europeans as Southern European or Eastern European instead of Finnish. It might take someone with Hungarian ancestry to post their results to see.