Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > myOrigins Basics

Old 16th July 2015, 12:08 PM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nijuurasen View Post
Stumbled on this thread that I had meant to post to previously. I'm also half Italian (family lines go back to central/southern Italy - close to original poster) and British (Scottish/English/Irish). I get a similar, ridiculous 23% lump of "Asia Minor" on myorigins. Rest is Western Central/Southern/Eastern Europe in that order.

My mother gets 87% Italian on 23andme, 7% Southern European, bits of other stuff.
FTDNA says that myOrigins percentages can reflect ancestry as far as back as 1,000 or even several thousand years ago.

As Sicily Project administrator, I have access to myOrigins results for scores of members with 100% Sicilian/southern Italian ancestry. It's the norm that these members get double digit Middle Eastern percentages, most of that Asia Minor, with small percentages (up to 5-10% usually) of Eastern Middle East and/or North African. It's not unusual for someone who's 100% Sicilian/southern Italian to get 40-50% Middle Eastern, mostly Asia Minor.

It's seems obvious to me that these high percentages of Middle Eastern, including Asia Minor, represent deep ancestry for Sicilians/southern Italians. So, although it's not that informative for genealogy research, it does fit in with what's known about the long relationship of Sicily and southern Italy with the Middle East, including Asia Minor.
Old 29th December 2016, 08:14 PM
FTDNA Customer

I know that this discussion is old, but I would like to add a comment. A google search brought me here. Like Anizio, I was also very surprised with my results on FF: 18% central western European, 13% Asia Minor, 5% Finnish and the rest southern European. And my family cannot quite exactly to be said southern Italian, given that it is from Veneto... Another comment: it seems that there are few Italians who tested with FTDNA. I say so because I have too few matches, and most of then in US and Canada.
Old 3rd January 2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montagnoli View Post
I know that this discussion is old, but I would like to add a comment. A google search brought me here. Like Anizio, I was also very surprised with my results on FF: 18% central western European, 13% Asia Minor, 5% Finnish and the rest southern European. And my family cannot quite exactly to be said southern Italian, given that it is from Veneto... Another comment: it seems that there are few Italians who tested with FTDNA. I say so because I have too few matches, and most of then in US and Canada.
How can you get 5% Finnish being from Veneto?

From which provinces of Veneto do they come from?
Old 3rd January 2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anizio View Post
This Asia Minor DNA is showing up all over Italy, not just in small amounts in the South. I am suggesting an explanation for the Asia Minor DNA presence throughout Italy, which the "South Italy had Eastern migrants" theory cannot properly explain.
What is the explanation from FTDNA for the label Asia Minor?
Old 4th January 2017, 09:09 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by malchik View Post
How can you get 5% Finnish being from Veneto?

From which provinces of Veneto do they come from?
Those 5% Finnish surprised me the most. The paternal side of my father is from the Province of Verona (surname Montagnoli), and his maternal side (surname Baldo) from the Province of Padova. My mother's paternal side is from the Province of Vicenza (surname Micheletto), e her maternal side from the Province of Treviso (surname Moro).

The 13% from Asia Minor seem to be present in other northern Italians, and so I am supposing it is ancient dna, perhaps from neolithic farmers who came to Italy before Italic tribes (Latins, Sabines, etc.). But, as far as I know, other northern Italians do not show Finland on MyOrigins. In short: I don't have an explanation (my family tree goes until the middle of 18th century, and there are no "outsiders" in the family).
Old 4th January 2017, 09:18 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by malchik View Post
What is the explanation from FTDNA for the label Asia Minor?
There are problems with MO. Asia Minor appears to include most of the Near East. For example, the Levant is included in the category, i.e. there is no Levant region in the present MO. The regions are supposed to change with the MO revision
Old 4th January 2017, 10:18 PM
FTDNA Customer

I just posted about this on another thread.

My mother is of Campanian descent. I traced back five to six generations there. She has no Asia Minor, Middle Eastern, or African DNA. Only European. I don't have any non-European admixture either. I'm nearly half mixed between Italian and Scandinavian/Germanic but it's all European.

It's a mystery.

Old 4th January 2017, 10:43 PM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabitha View Post
I just posted about this on another thread.

My mother is of Campanian descent. I traced back five to six generations there. She has no Asia Minor, Middle Eastern, or African DNA. Only European. I don't have any non-European admixture either. I'm nearly half mixed between Italian and Scandinavian/Germanic but it's all European.

It's a mystery.

Read my reply to your post in the other thread at http://forums.familytreedna.com/show...9&postcount=18.

You mention that your myOrigins percentage is only European. What percentage of that is Southern European?
Old 10th January 2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Those 5% Finnish surprised me the most. The paternal side of my father is from the Province of Verona (surname Montagnoli), and his maternal side (surname Baldo) from the Province of Padova. My mother's paternal side is from the Province of Vicenza (surname Micheletto), e her maternal side from the Province of Treviso (surname Moro).
Thanks for sharing your information.

Quote:
The 13% from Asia Minor seem to be present in other northern Italians, and so I am supposing it is ancient dna, perhaps from neolithic farmers who came to Italy before Italic tribes (Latins, Sabines, etc.). But, as far as I know, other northern Italians do not show Finland on MyOrigins. In short: I don't have an explanation (my family tree goes until the middle of 18th century, and there are no "outsiders" in the family).
I dont have any Finnish. The middle of the 18th is not actually really very far (4-5 generations). But assuming it is not a problem with the test, wouldnt it be so interesting to know that you might have some ancestor from any country with finno-ugric populations, most likely from Hungary...?
Old 10th January 2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh w. View Post
There are problems with MO. Asia Minor appears to include most of the Near East. For example, the Levant is included in the category, i.e. there is no Levant region in the present MO. The regions are supposed to change with the MO revision
I would be inclined to think that this Asia Minor DNA is a false flag... Does anybody know how does that appear in AncestryDNA test?