Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > myOrigins Basics

Old 28th November 2017, 08:40 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh w. View Post
To elaborate, the basic research identified three independent Neolithic 'Farmer' locations, Asia Minor, Natufia (Levant) and Iran. Ancient Origins used only the Asia Minor sample since it had the greatest impact on Europe (except for Jews). Any one of the three samples could be called 'Farmer'. To confuse matters, the Iranian lines had some impact on 'Metal'
A more inclusive calculator would be Gedmatch--Gedrosia-Near East Neolithic. It covers all three 'Farmer' regions.
Old 28th November 2017, 12:15 PM
FTDNA Customer

My Gedrosia Near East Neolithic results:-

PopulationPercent
NATUFIAN 45.32
IRAN_NEOLITHIC 20.48
CHG_EEF 18.77
ANATOLIA_NEOLITHIC 12.74
SIBERIAN 1.64
SUB_SAHARAN 0.92
POLAR 0.15
Old 28th November 2017, 01:28 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASMI View Post
My Gedrosia Near East Neolithic results:-

PopulationPercent
NATUFIAN 45.32
IRAN_NEOLITHIC 20.48
CHG_EEF 18.77
ANATOLIA_NEOLITHIC 12.74
SIBERIAN 1.64
SUB_SAHARAN 0.92
POLAR 0.15
Old 28th November 2017, 01:34 PM
FTDNA Customer

Natufians

Yes, Natufia now peaks in remote areas of the Near East, areas less influenced by admixture. At Gedmatch, the highest rate is among Yemenite Jews, with Saudis and Muslim Yemenites close behind. The differences are not significant. Ashkenazis have more admixture

Last edited by josh w.; 28th November 2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 28th November 2017, 02:04 PM
FTDNA Customer

Jewish 'Farmers'

At ancient Origins the Ashkenazi Farmer percentage is around 60%. However at Gedmatch it is around 14% for Asia Minor. This is probably the result of admixture with European Med lines of Asia Minor origin.

At Gedmatch, Ashkenazi Neolithic Near Eastern lines total around 47%. If Gedmatch Neolithic had a Northeast African component, the non European total for Ashkenazis would probably be over 50%.
Old 28th November 2017, 02:59 PM
FTDNA Customer

Ancient Jewish Israelites Genetic Background?

Quote:
At ancient Origins the Ashkenazi Farmer percentage is around 60%. However at Gedmatch it is around 14% for Asia Minor. This is probably the result of admixture with European Med lines of Asia Minor origin.

At Gedmatch, Ashkenazi Neolithic Near Eastern lines total around 47%. If Gedmatch Neolithic had a Northeast African component, the non European total for Ashkenazis would probably be over 50%.
We don't know about the genetic picture for Ancient Jewish Levantines. There are religious prohibitions and Gedmatch does not include an ancient Levantine Jewish sample. I could well be wrong, but my hunch is that they were more Levantine than Arabian. I am including Akaba and Eilat under Levantine. The higher Natufian rate in modern Arabia might be a result of endogeny due to geographic isolation---the test would involve measuring diversity in Natufian lines--do Levantines show more or less diversity than Arabians.
My very tenuous hunch is that the closest modern group to ancient Jews would be the Lebanese. Especially among Maronites and Druze where there was less Arabian influence

Last edited by josh w.; 28th November 2017 at 03:02 PM.
Old 28th November 2017, 03:22 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
We don't know about the genetic picture for Ancient Jewish Levantines. There are religious prohibitions and Gedmatch does not include an ancient Levantine Jewish sample. I could well be wrong, but my hunch is that they were more Levantine than Arabian. I am including Akaba and Eilat under Levantine. The higher Natufian rate in modern Arabia might be a result of endogeny due to geographic isolation---the test would involve measuring diversity in Natufian lines--do Levantines show more or less diversity than Arabians.
My very tenuous hunch is that the closest modern group to ancient Jews would be the Lebanese. Especially among Maronites and Druze where there was less Arabian influence
Actually, the highest Natufian rate occurs in Sidon --at Gedmatch
Old 28th November 2017, 10:06 PM
FTDNA Customer

Brand New Canaan Research

Quote:
Actually, the highest Natufian rate occurs in Sidon --at Gedmatch
Marc Haber of the Zalloua team (NG) just published research on Canaan in the American Journal of Human Genetics--the sample is included in the Near East Neolithic calculator. The study of Bronze Age Levantines showed continuity with both ancient Natufians as well as modern Lebanese. There were also strong signs of Bronze Age migration from the east (Akadia, Iran). I suspect that this hybrid population was represented among the ancient Jews. Y dna J was not present among Natufians but was present near Iran.
Old 18th December 2017, 08:07 AM
FTDNA Customer

Sorry if this has already been asked, but are the markers on the ancient origins map actual matches to our DNA, or just examples? Thanks.
Old 18th December 2017, 11:27 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitFire View Post
Sorry if this has already been asked, but are the markers on the ancient origins map actual matches to our DNA, or just examples? Thanks.
Do you mean 'ancestral origins' for Y dna. Yes, it shows the origins of matches. 'Ancient origins' looks at an individual's autosomal history and has little to do with matches.