Y-111 results came in, how long to find matches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mimicplay
    FTDNA Customer
    • May 2017

Y-111 results came in, how long to find matches?

My brother's Y-111 DNA results came in today. He literally just got the email about it an hour or so ago, so results are really new.

I logged in to his account to see his matches for 111, 67, 37, 25 and 12 markers. There are ZERO matches for him except for on the 12 marker set. I realize there would be few to zero matches on the 111, but to not even see any at the 25 or 37 groups seems odd. Does it take some time for higher level Y-DNA marker matches to propagate, or does he really only have 7 Y-12 matches for the foreseeable future? I remember from the FamilyFinder test that it took a few days for matches to show up. Perhaps it's the same way for Y-DNA matches, too?

If 111, 67, 37, and 25 marker matches are usually immediate, how rare is it to only have matches at the 12 level, and so few matches at that marker?

If anyone is curious, his haplogroup turned out to be Q-M242.

Thanks for your advice!
  • abuelita
    FTDNA Customer
    • Feb 2017

Well our family Q had no matches at any level, including Y-12. Neither did our E have any. Only the R had them, a lot at 12 which then rapidly dropped off. I realize ours is a very small sample. Three. But we're diverse!

Of course most of the people who test are from European backgrounds where Q is uncommon. So that lowers your probability of finding matches in comparison to what the ubiquitous, generic (dull) R-M269s find. And if you happen to have a really strange number at one of the STR loci ....

You could address your question to the administrators of the Q-M242 project. They probably have that statistic (% with matches only at 12) at their fingertips, or could generate it. They have data on over 1700 Q-M242s including both Europeans and Native Americans. (I think there is also a Nordic Q project.)

Comment

• mimicplay
      FTDNA Customer
      • May 2017

Abuelita: That is good to know. I'll still check back in a few days to see if any more matches have populated, but in the case that Q is an uncommon haplogroup, I will just be happy with our 7 matches in the 12 marker group

Our family background on the paternal haplogroup branch I have traced back to Johann August Wolf (1826-1925) coming to America from Saxony, Germany. Beyond that, I'm at a brick wall with my paper research. I was hoping that the Y-DNA test would give me some matches to work with. I suppose it's kind of weird to have a Q haplogroup coming from Germany?

I did just join the Q-M242 project but won't post yet till I give these results some time. I did not join the Nordic Q project (I did look at it though) because I can't say I've traced any Nordic ancestors. My DNA ancestry composition results from 23andMe say I am 2.5% Scandanavian. This number is with phasing from both of my parents. It shows that the Scandanavian comes from my dad's side. Perhaps it is further up the paternal/surname line? Maybe I'll find out one day. We can hope!

Thank you for your help!

Comment

Working...
      X