X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • China woman

Asian genetics ??

Hello, Hola, Ohiyo, Wei,
    MY mtdna FTDNA result indicated that I am Haplogroup A. That was no great surprise for me there given my mother's Southwestern Hispanic USA background. However, when I (mitosearch) more closely match people from Japan than people I am supposedly paper trail related that I become more than curious! I have paper trails back to Cortes. So what is going on?
  • GvdM
    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by China woman
    Hello, Hola, Ohiyo, Wei,
    MY mtdna FTDNA result indicated that I am Haplogroup A. That was no great surprise for me there given my mother's Southwestern Hispanic USA background. However, when I (mitosearch) more closely match people from Japan than people I am supposedly paper trail related that I become more than curious! I have paper trails back to Cortes. So what is going on?
    mtDNA only follows your mother's line on the female side. So your mother's mother, her mother, her mother and so on. Male lines would not figure in and since Cortez was male he will not figure in. Ydna would follow your fathers male line on back not counting females in your fathers pedigree. For ydna you would need to test a brother, your father or his broters or male siblings.

Comment

• lgmayka
      FTDNA Customer
      • Mar 2006

MY mtdna FTDNA result indicated that I am Haplogroup A. That was no great surprise for me there given my mother's Southwestern Hispanic USA background. However, when I (mitosearch) more closely match people from Japan than people I am supposedly paper trail related that I become more than curious!
      I suspect that not very many Native Americans have undergone genetic testing and entered their results into Ysearch; and so, instead of getting Native American matches dating back 1000 years, you're finding East Asian matches dating back 10,000 years.

Comment

• cacio
        • Jan 2006

I think I read somewhere that approx 20% of Native Americans from the Southwest belong to haplogroup A, so this seems to fit the area (and other areas of the Americas may even have higher percentages of haplogroup A). Haplogroup A is not found in Europe, only among East Asians and Native Americans.

cacio

Comment

• tomcat
          FTDNA Customer
          • May 2005

China Woman,

You might be interested in the FTDNA-sponsored project - Amerind Founders - you can raise it under the project search function on FTDNA's homepage. By following links you can see the mtDNA results of all participants.

Surprising that you have no matches on mitosearch as the database is so over-weighted with Hispanic entries.

Tom

Comment

• Jambalaia32
            • Jul 2005

Hello, Hola, Ohiyo, Wei,
            People always say "Hispanic" means any,race ,ethnicity,or origin.So maybe you are considered one under that theory-which doesn't mean that you can't hang with them or like them,but maybe in all honestly everyone called Hispanic is not actually.I always thought Hispanic meant a person from Hispania,Spain and they are haplogrp. H, one of Europe's peoples.People always tell me I can call myself Spanish and I say "but I hardly have any Spanish blood,how can you be Hispanic like that"? People mention that because they feel sometimes the Hispanic community is more traditional,wholesome,accecpting,and family-oriented than many White American arenas.Also people of all races went to SouthAmerican Latino countries for their liberality, and many people got high education there,where they couldn't elsewhere.

Comment

• Jambalaia32
              • Jul 2005

Mt A

Actually I looked at HaploGrp Mt A on mitosearch.org and many Latinos have that group. I saw Mt A people in Puerto Rico ,Columbia,and El Slavador. They also had #'s like mine like 315.1C, 73G, and 519C though I'm Mt K. So I'm not exactly sure what Mt A is,whether they are Asian or Latino.I was looking to see if Mt A was an Eskimo and if they had #'s matching mine,but many Mt A's live in Latin countries.

Comment

• cacio
                • Jan 2006

Jambalaia:

regarding the mutations you cite, almost everybody outside haplogroups HV and derived has 73G. 315.1C and 519C are spots that also mutate frequently and are particularly common.

As one of the original mtdna haplogroups in Native Americans (together with B,C,D and X), haplogroup A among Latin-Americans can be easily explained by the native pre-European component, which is very important in most Latin American countries.

cacio

Comment

• China woman

Asian Genetics??

MTDNA hapogroup A is very clearly from Berengia/ Lake Baikal/ Chukchi roots. What I am trying to understand is why my male relative has a 3 step haplogroup O mutation and a clear paper trail to 1500s Portugal and why I more closely MTDNA match 2 Japanese women than our paper trail cousins from Portugal/Spain that we both should. Our DNA has been judged "unique" by FTDNA. I guess I am not clear about the biological end of this. My academic background centers on history and anthroplogy.
                  Last edited by Guest; 8 November 2006, 04:24 PM. Reason: unclear posting

Comment

• cacio
                    • Jan 2006

Chinawoman:

regarding your brother's Y chromosome, i think there was some discussion in a previous post. I really did not understand what he is exactly. R1b, Q or O? Presumably, only an SNP test can say for sure.

STR markers do not determine haplogroup, the haplogroup is determined by other mutations. Since STR numbers mutate fast, it is possible that two people in different haplogroups end up having similar mutations, just by chance. Even if they are 2 or 3 steps apart, they may not have a recent common origin. It is just by chance that they ended up with these values. This is probably the case of your brother. If he's R1b, that's perfectly consistent with European origin,. If he's Q, there is some Q in Europe, though not a lot. But Q is mostly either Asian or Native American. O is very East Asian and is almost never found in Europe. Note that Q and R1b are "brother" clades, so similarities in STR are possible.

I don't know much about east asian mtdna. However, you should consider the fact that the area is little sampled. Japan may have more data than other countries simply because more people there have tested than in China or Mongolia. So if you look at the matches, you may see a Japanese person, when in reality you have many more matches in China. But simply, less Chinese people have tested. Indeed, it is known that a good share of Japanese haplogroups are more recent (ie neolithic) arrivals from China. So you may see matches in Japan simply because some Chinese woman moved to Japan.

cacio

Comment

• lgmayka
                      FTDNA Customer
                      • Mar 2006

MTDNA hapogroup A is very clearly from Berengia/ Lake Baikal/ Chukchi roots. What I am trying to understand is why my male relative has a 3 step haplogroup O mutation and a clear paper trail to 1500s Portugal and why I more closely MTDNA match 2 Japanese women than our paper trail cousins from Portugal/Spain that we both should.
                      I think you said in another post that your male relative is in haplogroup Q. So, you may as well ignore haplogroup O entries, because they are tens of thousands of years away from Q.

Q occurs rarely in Europe, so the paper trail to 1500s Portugal could be correct, but Native American ancestry is also possible (and arguably more likely). Ordering more markers--37 or even 67--will help to distinguish between European and Native American Q.

If a paper trail says that your matrilineal line (mother's mother's mother's mother...) goes back to Spain/Portugal, but your mtDNA haplogroup is A, the most logical conclusion is that the paper trail represents legal but not genetic ancestry and that your genetic matrilineal line is Native American. For example, a private adoption could have occurred along the line.

Comment

• haplogroupc
                        • Dec 2004

MTDNA hapogroup A is very clearly from Berengia/ Lake Baikal/ Chukchi roots. What I am trying to understand is why my male relative has a 3 step haplogroup O mutation and a clear paper trail to 1500s Portugal and why I more closely MTDNA match 2 Japanese women than our paper trail cousins from Portugal/Spain that we both should. Our DNA has been judged "unique" by FTDNA. I guess I am not clear about the biological end of this. My academic background centers on history and anthroplogy.
                        China woman,

From what I understand, you're trying to figure out why you share more mutations with the two Japanese women than with others in haplogroup A. Are these Japanese women also haplogroup A? Which haplogroup are they?

You might consider the possibility that your haplogroup was misjudged by FTDNA if they said it was "unique". In the past, they had trouble correctly categorizing people whose mutations were unique. They have a record of telling people they belong to a haplogroup and later changing it. You might want to request an SNP that will verify your haplogroup or else get a second opinion from a different company. Trace Genetics does an mtDNA reanalysis for people who have already had the test done.

Also, if you do have a definite paper trail leading to Portugal/Spain and if there wasn't an adoption, it's possible that you descend from a Native American that was taken there before the 1500's. Haplogroup A has shown up in Spain before.
                        Last edited by haplogroupc; 9 November 2006, 12:48 AM.

Comment

• haplogroupc
                          • Dec 2004

What I am trying to understand is why my male relative has a 3 step haplogroup O mutation and a clear paper trail to 1500s Portugal
                          China woman,

Three steps is way too many steps to have anything to do with your male relative's ancestry. All of our haplogroups are steps away from each other but we're not all the same race. Changes in mutations happen thousands of years apart.

When you say "paper trail", do you mean actual direct ancestors or just people who have the same last name? For example, is your name Cortes and thefore you're a descendant of Hernan Cortes? I see alot of people say this. That's why I asked.

I've read that 85 percent of Latin Americans or possibly those from certain Latin American countries are Native American descent on the maternal side. And most were given their first and last names by the Europeans upon being baptized into the Catholic church. So a woman by the name of Xochitl (flower) was given the name Maria and a Spanish last name. So it's rare for people to trace their maternal side to Europe. If you can, it may be that you are a descendant of the Natives who were taken there.

Comment

• breakwater70
                            • Jul 2005

Hello, Hola, Ohiyo, Wei,
                            I'm also descended from southwestern hispano heritage. It's very common to have a maternal line that is native and paternal line that is spanish, and in some cases portuguese. I imagine your close matches in mitosearch are a few steps away. If so, this means you are related to them prior to the time that our native ancestors came to the americas over the ice bridge. I imagine your maternal ancestry is either navajo, apache or pueblo or mexican indian. The comanche and ute have also contributed to southwestern history and can also be the source of your MtDNA.

Comment

• haplogroupc
                              • Dec 2004

I once saw a list of mtDNA samples and I shared more mutations with several Koreans than with others in my haplogroup. People from Siberia (the origin of haplogroup C) migrated to Asia in addition to the American continent. There's alot of DNA over there that is similar to ours over here.

Comment

Working...
                              X