Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Archives > Poll - Family Tree Software

Poll - Family Tree Software Cast your vote - what Family Tree Software do you use?

View Poll Results: Which software do you use for your family tree
Wholly Genes (TMC - The Master Genealogist) 132 7.99%
Legacy Family Tree (Millenia) 165 9.98%
Family Tree Maker 796 48.15%
Family Tree Legends 26 1.57%
PAF - Personal Ancestral File 160 9.68%
Reunion for Mac's 122 7.38%
Family Origins 27 1.63%
The Master Genealogist 9 0.54%
Brother's Keeper 56 3.39%
Generations Family Tree 33 2.00%
Roots Magic 101 6.11%
MyRoots 7 0.42%
Ancestry.com online 201 12.16%
Ancestral Quest 15 0.91%
I don't use a software 85 5.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1653. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16th August 2012, 11:48 PM
Birdeekay

Family Tree Software

Reunion for Mac's
Old 16th September 2012, 11:24 AM
AuntyDud

I'm one of the "I don't use ..."

I have a great memory. Yes, I know, you can't pass your memory on when you go.

My info is in the narrative family history in Word form that I've been working on, and in my Gmail account where I collect info from distant cousins and record things I find for myself, for easy access, and all the saved images of censuses, etc., on my hard drive. I don't focus on any one line, e.g. surname line, the way I know some do. All of mine, including both maternal and paternal for all ancestors, are treated equally (more or less; some are just more interesting than others), so it's pretty much a never-ending job. Fortunately, I haven't found it all that interesting to trace siblings' descendants, for instance (let alone ancestors of siblings' spouses, which is how I find my family, and occasionally even myself, in the trees of completely unrelated people, something I find very annoying) -- whoever comes after me can take that one on.

Some day ... . I actually had no idea there were so many options. Frankly, if and when I pick one, I'm pretty sure it will be the simplest and most user-friendly I can find, and "features" won't be a big criterion.

I wonder whether FTDNA is considering the suggestion that has been made here, incorporating testing results into a tree, and is doing some preliminary investigation into which family tree software users prefer?
Old 21st September 2012, 09:17 AM
FTDNA Customer

Latest Family Tree Maker

The sync feature between FTM and Ancestry.com online finally lets you keep a family accessible tree in one place (on line) but have the tools of a standalone package (FTM). The iPad app is awesome in appearance and the perfect 'presentation' tool. It stays sync'd too, usually.

FTDNA had trouble with importing my FTM-created gedcom file (no errors but incorrect); I had to go to PAF first; the PAF export was correct.
Old 13th October 2012, 05:23 PM
FTDNA Customer

I use
My Heritage
Which is the link I got in with FTDNA....I think FTDNA own them
Old 7th December 2012, 02:41 AM
FTDNA Customer

Please add gramps to the poll list

Gramps is a fully featured, mature, open source genealogy software for Linux, BSD, Solaris, Windows and Mac OS X available in more than 20 languages:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gramps

Please add gramps to the poll list.
Old 7th December 2012, 08:54 PM
dkpbxman

I'm just starting to learn about genealogy. Still don't really know what I'm doing

LEGACY
was the first program that was idiot-proof enough (I tried a few) to let me do things.
Old 12th December 2012, 02:51 AM
gailriddell

Question My Software is missing

How come iFamily for Leopard is not listed? It is a fraction of the price of Reunion (for Mac) and has most of the same bells and whistles.
Old 31st December 2012, 07:08 PM
FTDNA Customer

Smile New Software

I use Geni.com, my partner and we have between us 106,353 blood relatives, of course we cannot upload the gedfile to FTDNA as it crashes everytime we try
Old 25th January 2013, 11:55 AM
FTDNA Customer

Tmg

Since a few people here have asked for more details on TMG, here are a few answers (far more could be said about all the excellent features, though).

First, I've used TMG for something like 20 years now. It has always been considered one of the top programs for serious genealogists. By serious, that means anyone who cares about getting things right--not just professionals. When I was a beginner, I wanted a program that I wouldn't grow out of. Many people start with Family Tree Maker but get fed up with its limitations--it is the most widely used but that doesn't mean it's the best.

TMG incorporates input of DNA data (I look forward to having some to put in).

TMG has very robust options for recording sources.

TMG has fields for surname parts such as "van" and can be used in languages other than English. There are many European users.

Like pretty much any Windows program, TMG will run on a Mac if you have emulation software such as Parallels.

TMG will produce both charts and narratives. You can use it to create an entire book full of family stories, or a handsome chart.

TMG user John Cardinal has developed several inexpensive and well-received companion programs, particularly Second Site, which produces Web output and is highly customizable.

Wholly Genes, the company that makes TMG, is relatively small but highly responsive to customers.

There is a vibrant and helpful email list (via Rootsweb) for users as well as a support forum on the company website.

Again, much more could be said but I think this will answer some of the basic questions for those who are interested in finding a first or a better program.
Old 9th February 2013, 07:13 AM
FTDNA Customer

I vote for iFamily as well on the Mac.

It isn't being developed so much any more but is still a great product and very easy to use.