Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Advanced

Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Advanced Users can exchange information here on Y-DNA testing, results, and questions.

Old 23rd May 2017, 05:38 PM
FTDNA Customer

How do i find my surname

i am trying find what my surname is. I did the 37 ydna and when i look under matches there were none for 37 and 25 and only a few under 12. so how can i find out my surname? if and one can help i waited along time.
Old 23rd May 2017, 06:45 PM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

I assume you don't know who your father was.

Only a very tiny percentage of men have done a Y-DNA test and you may just have to wait years for people with your surname to test. 12 marker matches are not reliable. My father has no matches at any level, even 12 markers.

Have you done the Family Finder test? It's an autosomal (atDNA) test. It finds cousins in all branches of your tree, your mother's side and your father's. It can be a lot of work, but you may get lucky. If you really don't know who your father is and are trying to find out, you may want to do atDNA tests at Ancestry and 23andMe as well, in order to fish in as many databases as possible.
Old 23rd May 2017, 06:52 PM
FTDNA Customer

He is using his stepfathers last name

my father doesn't who his father is.
Old 26th May 2017, 09:43 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcxman View Post
I did the 37 ydna and when i look under matches there were none for 37 and 25 and only a few under 12.
Unfortunately, your situation is not uncommon among men with ancestries underrepresented in FTDNA's database.

To which haplogroup do you belong?
Old 26th May 2017, 11:03 AM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

If your father did the Y-DNA test, you can purchase a Family Finder test for him by logging into his account. They will have his DNA in storage, so he won't have to send in a new sample.

If you or sibling did the test, you can do the same thing, but it would be better to purchase a Family Finder kit for your father in this case, as testing the oldest living generation is best with Family Finder, though it doesn't matter with Y-DNA.
Old 28th June 2017, 03:19 AM
FTDNA Customer

Ethnicity?

Do you have any idea of the ethnicity of your father-line? I knoow you g=have an unknown Grandfather however there are certain traits that sometimes shine through regarding a person's appearance that point to an ethnicity. Your paternal grandmother's ethnicity should also be taken into account.