Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Advanced

Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Advanced Users can exchange information here on Y-DNA testing, results, and questions.

Old 14th January 2017, 10:37 AM
FTDNA Customer

66/67 Y DNA match but no match at GEDmatch

Why is it that I have a 66/67 Y DNA match with a person on FTDNA, but when I run a one to one comparison on GEDmatch it comes up with zero segments matching?
Old 14th January 2017, 12:06 PM
FTDNA Customer

First, make sure this gedmatch kit really does belong to that Y67 match. Having the same email is not enough because that person could be managing multiple kits.

If it is the same kit, then it means the connection is not close. Autosomal DNA tests would catch the closer connections like siblings, first cousins, second cousins, and after that there will be distant cousins that won't share any autosomal DNA with you (or whoever the kit you are managing). Not all 3rd cousins will match in autosomal DNA due to the randomness of what DNA each one gets at each generation.

If you can find a somewhat closer cousin and have them take the autosomal DNA test, maybe they will match you and this Y67 match.
Old 14th January 2017, 10:29 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee93742 View Post
Why is it that I have a 66/67 Y DNA match with a person on FTDNA, but when I run a one to one comparison on GEDmatch it comes up with zero segments matching?
That is the same match I get for my first cousin. Never used Gedmatch
Old 14th January 2017, 11:48 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
It is possible to have a 66/67 marker match with someone and not have a common direct paternal ancestor in several centuries. That is why an upgrade to BigY with YFull analysis or YDNA-111 by both yourself and your match should be done. Both people have to get the same upgrade. The BigY with YFull analysis would provide a TMRCA. The Y111 would tell you if the GD is greater at 111 markers. The TiP report isn't really helpful because you could be a one-off or outlier from the stats used for the TiP report.

Here are some examples of close matches at 67 markers being from people with a common direct paternal ancestor of at least one century back. Some many more centuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 192971 View Post
My closest Y67 match, GD 2, is Scottish and L1302-, while I am Finnish I-L1302.

Now, according to YFull experimental tree I-L1302 was formed 2600 to 1900 years ago with 95% certainty.

Furthermore, an STR based methodology gave 1067 years before present (+/-374 years) TMRCA for the included L1302 positives.

Even history seems to tell that mine and my match's MRCA probably have lived at least 1000 years ago.

On the other, at Y111 level we do not match any more (our GD at that level is 18).
http://forums.familytreedna.com/show...09&postcount=6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamFarrar View Post
GD and DNA mutation rates are random, and (honestly) inexplicable. At Y67 I GD 0 to a couple of men with whom I share a common ancestor born 1682, and GD 1 to men with whom my common ancestor was born 1756.

TMRCA is simply a probability, and is explained here: http://nitro.biosci.arizona.edu/ftdna/models.html#Basic
http://forums.familytreedna.com/show...51&postcount=7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyH View Post
I am involved in a yDNA study group for men who descend from the same ancestor born about 1785. In the group of men who descend from his son (1809) there is consistently a 65/67 match within the group, but the two mutations will differ from one guy to another, another marker or so to men who descend from their likely immigrant ancestor who was born about 1630ish. We are just one example, but a marker mutation every 100 - 150 years seems to be what has fit this group.

Likewise, my son has a 63/67 match with a man who shares his surname. Their ancestors came to the Colonies in 1635 and 1690 to different states and apparently never crossed paths. Their origins are to two villages in England, about 15 miles apart, and we suspect the shared ancestor was probably born in the 1500s.
http://forums.familytreedna.com/show...84&postcount=3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetick View Post
Note I have a 66/67 match with a seventh cousin with a common ancestor born 1700.

So a 67/67 match back to an 1800's common ancestor is reasonable.
http://forums.familytreedna.com/show...48&postcount=5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBurford View Post
I have a Haynes male line I am researching and I have one match that is 67/67. I know for sure their common ancestor is before 1800 but I have not figured out who it is yet.....
http://forums.familytreedna.com/show...41&postcount=5
Old 3rd April 2017, 06:40 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
It is quite likely that the DNA segments are too small to register due to the luck of the recombination of the DNA. Try setting the minimums to 300 SNP and 3 cM and see how much DNA you get. Note that there is a high probability that the segments will be IBS (random) but if you get a lot of segments the probability is that some of them will be as a result of a common ancestor (IBD). You can use the amount of DNA to get an estimate of TMRCA. I have several 4th cousins that don't show up at all at the standard comparison levels (7 cM) but have huge amounts of small segments shared with me. I also have distant y-DNA matches to me 63/67 who match closely on Gedmatch and this has given me clues to where my paternal line came from in the 17th century.