Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Advanced

Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Advanced Users can exchange information here on Y-DNA testing, results, and questions.

Old 23rd July 2017, 01:27 PM
FTDNA Customer

Generations to common ancestor

In comparing the Y-DNA results for individuals of the same surname,when the nearest common ancestor is in a different degree for each of the persons tested, how is that dealt with. In my case, 3 individuals have been tested, one is a 3rd Great Grandson, one a 4th Great Grandson and the other a 5th Great Grandson, of the presumed common ancestor. In trying to look at the likelihood do you look at the one with the closest relationship, or the one with the most remote relationship?
Old 25th July 2017, 06:53 AM
FTDNA Customer

If you have the haplotypes of all these individuals I would enter them into McGee's Utility. It will construct an "average" haplotype which will then be compared with the haplotypes of the descendants. I have used this tool fairly successfully with my own family y-DNA. A number of different degree cousins have tested 2nd,3rd, and 4th, all various degrees of removal.

If you were to use only the most remote persons haplotype you may be running off a branch of the family with a higher mutation rate, which can skew the data.