• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Armando
    FTDNA Customer
    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by hazel_ion View Post
    AGREED!

To many people do not know the time frame ftDNA uses for their admix.

And if you test with other companies you will see them all report different amounts.

I would not put to much into the % you got.
    23andme does a better job with Italians and Spaniards.

Comment

• vinnie
      FTDNA Customer
      • Feb 2007

My Abruzzese father had 43% Asia Minor here. Note that the Asia Minor reference population for MO is Armenian, not Turkish.

Comment

• Cami
        FTDNA Customer
        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by vinnie View Post
        Asia Minor reference population for MO is Armenian, not Turkish.
        Where can I read about this?

Comment

• lucas27
          FTDNA Customer
          • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Cami View Post
          Where can I read about this?

Population N Population N
          Armenian 46 Lithuanian 6
          Ashkenazi 60 Masai 140
          British 39 Mbuti 15
          Burmese 8 Moroccan 7
          Cambodian 26 Mozabite 24
          Danish 13 Norwegian 17
          Filipino 20 Pashtun 33
          Finnish 49 Polish 35
          French 17 Portuguese 25
          German 17 Russian 41
          Gujarati 31 Saudi 19
          Iraqi 12 Scottish 43
          Irish 45 Slovakian 12
          Italian 30 Spanish 124
          Japanese 147 Surui 21
          Karitiana 23 Swedish 33
          Korean 15 Ukrainian 10
          Kuwaiti 14 Yoruba 136

Asia minor seems to be entirely represented by an Armenian reference population. It is likely the most ill defined category.

Comment

• Nijuurasen
            FTDNA Customer
            • Aug 2013

Stumbled on this thread that I had meant to post to previously. I'm also half Italian (family lines go back to central/southern Italy - close to original poster) and British (Scottish/English/Irish). I get a similar, ridiculous 23% lump of "Asia Minor" on myorigins. Rest is Western Central/Southern/Eastern Europe in that order.

My mother gets 87% Italian on 23andme, 7% Southern European, bits of other stuff.

Comment

• MMaddi
              yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e
              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Nijuurasen View Post
              Stumbled on this thread that I had meant to post to previously. I'm also half Italian (family lines go back to central/southern Italy - close to original poster) and British (Scottish/English/Irish). I get a similar, ridiculous 23% lump of "Asia Minor" on myorigins. Rest is Western Central/Southern/Eastern Europe in that order.

My mother gets 87% Italian on 23andme, 7% Southern European, bits of other stuff.
              FTDNA says that myOrigins percentages can reflect ancestry as far as back as 1,000 or even several thousand years ago.

As Sicily Project administrator, I have access to myOrigins results for scores of members with 100% Sicilian/southern Italian ancestry. It's the norm that these members get double digit Middle Eastern percentages, most of that Asia Minor, with small percentages (up to 5-10% usually) of Eastern Middle East and/or North African. It's not unusual for someone who's 100% Sicilian/southern Italian to get 40-50% Middle Eastern, mostly Asia Minor.

It's seems obvious to me that these high percentages of Middle Eastern, including Asia Minor, represent deep ancestry for Sicilians/southern Italians. So, although it's not that informative for genealogy research, it does fit in with what's known about the long relationship of Sicily and southern Italy with the Middle East, including Asia Minor.

Comment

• montagnoli
                R-Z36 | V3
                • Dec 2016

I know that this discussion is old, but I would like to add a comment. A google search brought me here. Like Anizio, I was also very surprised with my results on FF: 18% central western European, 13% Asia Minor, 5% Finnish and the rest southern European. And my family cannot quite exactly to be said southern Italian, given that it is from Veneto... Another comment: it seems that there are few Italians who tested with FTDNA. I say so because I have too few matches, and most of then in US and Canada.

Comment

• malchik
                  • Jan 2017

Originally posted by montagnoli View Post
                  I know that this discussion is old, but I would like to add a comment. A google search brought me here. Like Anizio, I was also very surprised with my results on FF: 18% central western European, 13% Asia Minor, 5% Finnish and the rest southern European. And my family cannot quite exactly to be said southern Italian, given that it is from Veneto... Another comment: it seems that there are few Italians who tested with FTDNA. I say so because I have too few matches, and most of then in US and Canada.
                  How can you get 5% Finnish being from Veneto?

From which provinces of Veneto do they come from?

Comment

• malchik
                    • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Anizio View Post
                    This Asia Minor DNA is showing up all over Italy, not just in small amounts in the South. I am suggesting an explanation for the Asia Minor DNA presence throughout Italy, which the "South Italy had Eastern migrants" theory cannot properly explain.
                    What is the explanation from FTDNA for the label Asia Minor?

Comment

• montagnoli
                      R-Z36 | V3
                      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by malchik View Post
                      How can you get 5% Finnish being from Veneto?

From which provinces of Veneto do they come from?
                      Those 5% Finnish surprised me the most. The paternal side of my father is from the Province of Verona (surname Montagnoli), and his maternal side (surname Baldo) from the Province of Padova. My mother's paternal side is from the Province of Vicenza (surname Micheletto), e her maternal side from the Province of Treviso (surname Moro).

The 13% from Asia Minor seem to be present in other northern Italians, and so I am supposing it is ancient dna, perhaps from neolithic farmers who came to Italy before Italic tribes (Latins, Sabines, etc.). But, as far as I know, other northern Italians do not show Finland on MyOrigins. In short: I don't have an explanation (my family tree goes until the middle of 18th century, and there are no "outsiders" in the family).

Comment

• josh w.
                        FTDNA Customer
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by malchik View Post
                        What is the explanation from FTDNA for the label Asia Minor?
                        There are problems with MO. Asia Minor appears to include most of the Near East. For example, the Levant is included in the category, i.e. there is no Levant region in the present MO. The regions are supposed to change with the MO revision

Comment

• Tabitha
                          FTDNA Customer
                          • Dec 2016

I just posted about this on another thread.

My mother is of Campanian descent. I traced back five to six generations there. She has no Asia Minor, Middle Eastern, or African DNA. Only European. I don't have any non-European admixture either. I'm nearly half mixed between Italian and Scandinavian/Germanic but it's all European.

It's a mystery.

Comment

• MMaddi
                            yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e
                            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Tabitha View Post
                            I just posted about this on another thread.

My mother is of Campanian descent. I traced back five to six generations there. She has no Asia Minor, Middle Eastern, or African DNA. Only European. I don't have any non-European admixture either. I'm nearly half mixed between Italian and Scandinavian/Germanic but it's all European.

It's a mystery.

Read my reply to your post in the other thread at http://forums.familytreedna.com/show...9&postcount=18.

You mention that your myOrigins percentage is only European. What percentage of that is Southern European?

Comment

• malchik
                              • Jan 2017

Those 5% Finnish surprised me the most. The paternal side of my father is from the Province of Verona (surname Montagnoli), and his maternal side (surname Baldo) from the Province of Padova. My mother's paternal side is from the Province of Vicenza (surname Micheletto), e her maternal side from the Province of Treviso (surname Moro).
                              Thanks for sharing your information.

The 13% from Asia Minor seem to be present in other northern Italians, and so I am supposing it is ancient dna, perhaps from neolithic farmers who came to Italy before Italic tribes (Latins, Sabines, etc.). But, as far as I know, other northern Italians do not show Finland on MyOrigins. In short: I don't have an explanation (my family tree goes until the middle of 18th century, and there are no "outsiders" in the family).
                              I dont have any Finnish. The middle of the 18th is not actually really very far (4-5 generations). But assuming it is not a problem with the test, wouldnt it be so interesting to know that you might have some ancestor from any country with finno-ugric populations, most likely from Hungary...?

Comment

• malchik
                                • Jan 2017

Originally posted by josh w. View Post
                                There are problems with MO. Asia Minor appears to include most of the Near East. For example, the Levant is included in the category, i.e. there is no Levant region in the present MO. The regions are supposed to change with the MO revision
                                I would be inclined to think that this Asia Minor DNA is a false flag... Does anybody know how does that appear in AncestryDNA test?

Comment

Working...
                                X