Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > Family Finder Basics

Old 14th November 2017, 05:13 PM
FTDNA Customer

Found 1st Cousin How to find my Father?

I am a female. Just received my first really significant match after 5 years in my quest to find my biological father. This match, Joy has a relationship range of 1st Cousin - 2nd Cousin, 559 shared Cm,6.5% DNA shared, and 76cM longest block. As I have researched my mother's line very exhaustingly, none of Joy's surnames match with that of my mother's. I have made contact with Joy who has been most helpful in trying to find our common ancestor. Would I be correct in predicting my father to be either one of Joy's father's or mother's brothers?

Last edited by BedfontLass; 14th November 2017 at 06:49 PM. Reason: adding more information
Old 14th November 2017, 08:25 PM
FTDNA Customer

559cm would probably be a 2nd cousin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BedfontLass View Post
I am a female. Just received my first really significant match after 5 years in my quest to find my biological father. This match, Joy has a relationship range of 1st Cousin - 2nd Cousin, 559 shared Cm,6.5% DNA shared, and 76cM longest block. As I have researched my mother's line very exhaustingly, none of Joy's surnames match with that of my mother's. I have made contact with Joy who has been most helpful in trying to find our common ancestor. Would I be correct in predicting my father to be either one of Joy's father's or mother's brothers?
Old 14th November 2017, 08:46 PM
FTDNA Customer

See following chart for possible relationship ranges

https://thegeneticgenealogist.com/wp...ugust_2017.jpg
Old 14th November 2017, 11:40 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairielad View Post
Explanations (including the above chart) can be found at https://isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_DNA_statistics

Mr. W
Old 17th November 2017, 02:57 PM
FTDNA Customer

I'd guess that the match is a first cousin, once removed.
Old 17th November 2017, 03:42 PM
FTDNA Customer

If 1st Cousin once removed, Your father could be sibling to one of Joy's 4 Grandparents,

or

Your father is Joy's 1st cousin (One of your paternal Grandparents, sibling to one of Joy's Parent)

Do you share on X at all (7cm or Greater, I would say personally 10cM or greater)? Not matching will not mean anything, can only use X if matching.

If you have an acceptable sized match on X, in first scenario you can eliminate Joy's paternal Grandfather and your father as siblings, leaving your father to be a possible sibling to one of Joys other 3 Grandparents.

In second scenario, (If you are an X match), You can eliminate your paternal Grandfather, it will be your paternal Grandmother who may be a sibling to one of Joy's Parents.

1st cousin once removed is not the only possible relationship, but it is a place to start.

If there are Half siblings in Joys tree, this will also skew results. In this scenario, you could be a Half 1st Cousin. Your father would have to be a Half sibling to one of Joy's Parents.

Look at all the possible relationship categories (chart linked above)which fit your 559cm total shared DNA and see if any point to an answer based on Joy's tree.
Old 17th November 2017, 04:05 PM
FTDNA Customer

An interactive version of the relationships chart can be found here: https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcm
So much easier to use than the static version .... and a huge thanks to Germanica for posting it in another thread on this forum

Last edited by Fern; 17th November 2017 at 04:06 PM. Reason: typo corrected
Old 17th November 2017, 10:27 PM
FTDNA Customer

When FTDNA says Relationship Range 1st-2nd Cousin - that means the suggested or predicted relationship is 2nd Cousin - not First Cousin.

Note:
If Ancestry says 2nd-4th Cousin, on Ancestry the suggested relationship is Second Cousin.
If FTDNA says 2nd-4th Cousin, on FTDNA the suggested relationship is Third Cousin.
Old 18th November 2017, 01:06 PM
FTDNA Customer

Interesting.

Last edited by Frank Kelch; 18th November 2017 at 01:10 PM.