Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Maternal Lineages (mtDNA) > mtDNA - Haplogroup & Origins Basics

mtDNA - Haplogroup & Origins Basics All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 14th June 2017, 05:58 AM
FTDNA Customer

Any other U4s out there?

I had posted on 23andme as well but it seems we are few and far between. I haven't had much success finding anyone else. I'm U4b1b1

Hello if you're out there!
Old 19th July 2017, 06:13 AM
FTDNA Customer

U4 Haplogroup

Hello,

I just got my Haplogroup and I am U4b2a1. My original DNA was done with Ancestry.com. I have uploaded that data to GEDmatch, which shows matches from many other DNA testing companies such as 23 and Me. Some of the matches do post their Haplogroup next to their results, but I haven't found any U4 yet. I'm not sure that many folks even know to test for the MtDNA. I only found one person who was a full sequence match, but haven't been able to do anything with her information yet. My mother was Ukrainian living in southeastern Poland near the border of Ukraine and Slovakia. I have a lot of data about my maternal grandfather (which goes to 1750s in the same town,) but not my maternal grandmother's line. I will be going to Ukraine this Fall and hopefully can get more information about my maternal grandmother's line from cousins. My mtDNA match has her descent from Slovakia. It's possible that descendants migrated from Slovakia through the mountain pass to the area where my mother's roots are. This process is exciting yet challenging. I'd like to know else I can do with my U4 info.
Old 19th July 2017, 06:41 PM
FTDNA Customer

We are special.
My sample was collected by SMGF, then got the result from Gene Tree. It says U4, and it looks like U4a2b, with 16223T.
My maternal line is Slavic.
Old 20th July 2017, 08:20 AM
FTDNA Customer

I read some Ashkenazic Jews carry some variety of mtDNA U4 and Martin Richards' team of scientists believe it came from a European ancestor.

One of them is the branch U4a3a represented in FTDNA's U4mtDNA project by the following Jewish lineages:
* Marian Stein b. 1 March 1889, Lviv, Ukraine
This kit also belongs to the JewishDNAProject and Jewish_Ukraine_West project.
* Genendel (Jennie) Shulman b1875 - Volyna Gubernia
This kit also belongs to the JewishPodolia project.

There is also this U4a3 holder listed:
Math. Goldstein, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern U4a3

And these undifferentiated U4 holders who haven't gotten the full sequence test yet:
* Genya Tsira Rappoport bc1845 Pleshchenitsy Belarus
Rappoport is a well-known Ashkenazic surname.
* Zemrut (Chana) Levian, 1905-1986 (est)
Old 20th July 2017, 08:37 AM
FTDNA Customer

Also according to the U4mtDNA project, U4a3a is also found among Christian Norwegians, English, Belgians, Germans, Swiss, and also this Polish maternal lineage:
* Marianna Sika b.1830 Pysząca, Poland