Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Y-DNA Haplogroups & SNPs Basics

Y-DNA Haplogroups & SNPs Basics This forum is for those new to personal ancestry testing on the direct paternal line with Y-DNA SNP tests. All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 22nd May 2017, 04:48 PM
FTDNA Customer

Question about haplogroup prediction for new Y-DNA kit

Hello,

I have a friend who wants to order a Y-DNA kit, and I am wondering what kind of haplogroup prediction he can expect? I submitted my own kit so long ago and I know that the prediction model has changed.

For example, say he is confirmed as R1b-- how specific will the haplogroup prediction be? (e.g. L21, DF 27, etc.) Or will he need to order another test to get that prediction?

Thanks for any help.
Old 22nd May 2017, 09:39 PM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

Those who are some sort of R1b will almost always get the prediction of R-M269. That's the best accurate prediction that FTDNA can make based on STRs. It's far upstream of modern men, maybe about 8,000 years old, so very deep ancestry.

If someone is predicted as R-M269 and wants a more downstream haplogroup assignment, they'll have to order some sort of SNP test. This won't be a prediction, but will actually test for SNPs. Basically, the choice is between SNP packs and Big Y.

The basic SNP pack for R-M269 is called the R1b-M343 Backbone SNP pack. It tests for 137 known SNPs, most of which are relevant to R-M269. It will get you down to a subclade that may be about 3-4,000 years old. To get down to younger, more downstream subclades, you'd have to order one or two more SNP packs that are for specific branches. That will get you down to subclades less than 2,000 years old, in some cases approaching 1,000 years old.

The Big Y is an entirely different technology that tests 10 million locations on the y chromosome. It has the ability to discover previously unknown SNPs. The new SNPs may create new twigs on the R tree, if two men with different surnames share the newly discovered SNP. These new subclades are anywhere from a few to several hundred years old. Some of the new SNPs will be private to the last several generations of the paternal line of the man in whom they were found.
Old 26th May 2017, 03:38 PM
FTDNA Customer

Thanks for the info. I am wondering how much the R1b backbone test costs at the present time?
Old 26th May 2017, 04:19 PM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

Quote:
Originally Posted by bourgja View Post
Thanks for the info. I am wondering how much the R1b backbone test costs at the present time?
It's $99.

There is a Father's Day sale coming up in June. It will definitely involve discounts to upgrade to a higher level of STR testing. It may also include discounts for SNP packs, as the DNA Day sale in April included.