Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA and Genealogy for Beginners

DNA and Genealogy for Beginners Everything you wanted to know about DNA and Genealogy but didn't know where to ask. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 21st January 2018, 11:01 AM
FTDNA Customer

I agree Omar. I am Pakistani, and for some reason most Muslim Pakistani's and Indian's like to think they have lineage going back to the Arabs. I did some research about this topic the conclusion is, a lot of Pakistani's and Indian's are converts of the "upper caste" in India. When they converted to Islam they wanted to keep their social status therefore they started identifying themselves with Arab lineages. Yet, they don't have family trees to prove their Arab ancestry links. This has carried on for generations.

I hope more Pakistani's and Indian Muslims start doing Genealogical testing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacio View Post
omar:

I don't remember a specific paper on Indonesia, but if I remember correctly, J1 is almost totally absent from Indonesia. The same is true for India and Pakistan, where a lot of people claim to be descendants of the Arabs. There was a very long discussion in the past about India and Pakistan and this topic:

http://www.ftdna.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2025

(the thread is very long, so you have to skip through it to get at the relevant points). But I think the bottom line is that most of these claims of Arab affiliation in South Asia are not biological, that is, it's more a cultural affiliation thing, local people (of local birth) associating themselves to these Arabic tribes.

Incidentally, J1 is not the exclusive haplogroup in Arabia. J2 is also very frequent, and there's a little of E3b, G and the like. But all these haplogroups are rare in South Asia, where other haplogroups prevail (in the case of Indonesia, O is the most frequent).

cacio