Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA and Genealogy for Beginners

DNA and Genealogy for Beginners Everything you wanted to know about DNA and Genealogy but didn't know where to ask. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 3rd February 2018, 10:59 AM
FTDNA Customer

DNA Admin Strategy/Plan?

I'm my (and my wife's) family's genealogist and DNA admin. I bought AncestryDNA tests for my (84 year old) father, his sister, my wife, her father, her mother's brother, and me. Using FTDNA's Autosomal Transfer Unlock, I created separate kits in 2015 for my father, wife and me only thus far. I don't currently plan to create new (separate) FTDNA kits for the other three. I also got a FTDNA Y-DNA67 kit for my father in 2016. I'm looking for recommendations to organize and work smarter on my wife's and my family history research.

1. How do I get additional relative's autosomal results under my profile? (I like how Ancestry does it.)
2. How do I get my father's Y-DNA67 results linked to my kit as well as his? What should happen to his kit when he passes?
3. My wife and I plan to buy mtFull Sequence soon. Can I administer both under my profile? How might I get a discount from the $199 price?

Any advice or opinion is greatly appreciated.
Old 3rd February 2018, 12:35 PM
mtDNA: K1a3 | Y-DNA: R-L1308*

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrewl View Post
1. How do I get additional relative's autosomal results under my profile? (I like how Ancestry does it.)
FTDNA does not have this option currently. The only way to do this now is to apply for a group project at FTDNA, for which there is a "Quick Guide" in the FTDNA Learning Center.

Quote:
2. How do I get my father's Y-DNA67 results linked to my kit as well as his? What should happen to his kit when he passes?
There is no option for linking you and your father's Y-DNA results at FTDNA, but if you and your father are in a project that you create, as described above, you can easily go to his kit from within the project, without extra log-ins. Otherwise, if you and your father join the same Y-DNA haplogroup or surname projects, or location projects, you will be grouped with matches close to you, and either of you can view the group's results.

Your father's kit will stay at FTDNA; you can decide to leave it there and continue to manage it yourself, or whatever you wish. FTDNA will hold samples for 25 years. Many choose to leave the kit active in order to continue to get new matches, particularly for accounts of the oldest generation. If you want to have additional protection for you to control his kit after he passes, the accounts at FTDNA have "Beneficiary Information," under "Privacy Settings" in the user's profile. He can authorize you as his beneficiary, and there is also a link for a printable beneficiary form there, which you can/should have notarized if you want to use it (please read the disclaimer pop-up and other information). "The Legal Genealogist," lawyer Judy G. Russell, has a post about Estate Planning for DNA.

I would advise that you request extra swabs and vials to use to get additional samples for your father (and any older relatives, particularly males), if you think you might ever want to do further testing for him. Females can only do the Family Finder (autosomal) and mtDNA tests, so usually their initial sample is sufficient for those. Males potentially can do a lot of Y-DNA tests in addition to the latter two. If a person's DNA sample is insufficient for further testing, FTDNA will send out a replacement kit to the address in the kit's profile, shown in the Contact Information. If they have not been informed that the account individual has passed away, and a test has been ordered, keep in mind that the replacement kit will be mailed to the address specified. FTDNA does not send a notification when this happens.

Quote:
3. My wife and I plan to buy mtFull Sequence soon. Can I administer both under my profile? How might I get a discount from the $199 price?
This is the same answer as the others; no, unless you create a project for your relatives. FTDNA has sales throughout the year; for mtDNA, they typically have a sale around Mother's Day. End of year holiday sales are from about mid-November through the end of the year, and also feature additional coupons to use on top of the sale prices. Other sales are held at various times during the year (DNA day in April, Father's day, sometimes in August, etc.). Not all tests are on sale for all of the sales, except usually the year end holiday sale.

Last edited by KATM; 3rd February 2018 at 12:39 PM.
Old 3rd February 2018, 01:33 PM
mtDNA: K1a3 | Y-DNA: R-L1308*

You said that you have transferred only your wife's, your father's, and your autosomal results from Ancestry to FTDNA (Family Finder). You said that you don't plan currently on transferring your father's sister, your wife's father, or her mother's brother.

There is a case to be made for going ahead and transferring the other three, unless any of them have an objection to you doing so. Especially since the transfers are free to see all matches, with only a $19 charge to use the Family Finder tools, these relatives being at FTDNA together could be beneficial. It sounds like all of the Ancestry tests for these relatives were done in 2015; if so, they were done before Ancestry changed to their version 2 chip in mid-May of 2016 (per information from ISOGG). The older Ancestry v. 1 chip is a much better match to FTDNA's chip then the current Ancestry v. 2 chip, so you would get more matches with transferred kits done on the v. 1 chip (see the "Autosomal SNP comparison chart" at ISOGG.
  • Having siblings test is good for getting more matches, since they inherit a different mix from their parents. Your father's sister (your paternal aunt) could help find more matches in your paternal line at FTDNA, if her kit was transferred. She will get matches that your father's DNA will not get.
  • Your wife's father, and her mother's brother, are both elders in those lines. Testing the eldest generation is always advised for autosomal matching, as their DNA is closest to the ancestors. They will get matches in those lines, which your wife will not get.
  • Having these three relatives' transferred to FTDNA will also help with separating yours and your wife's Family Finder matches into maternal and/or paternal lists. At FTDNA, this is accomplished by:
    1. Having such relatives tested or transferred to FTDNA for Family Finder
    2. Creating or uploading trees to the myFamilyTree area of yours and your wife's accounts
    3. Linking your known relatives to their places in the tree. This causes your match list to then show maternal and/or paternal lists, in addition to the main match list.
    See the Family Finder Family Matching System and Family Matching Tool in the FTDNA Learning Center for more information.
  • Additionally, if you or your wife are interested in her parents' direct paternal lines, and her father's direct maternal line:
    • If they provide new DNA samples to FTDNA, your wife's father can provide the Y-DNA for his Y haplogroup, and your wife's maternal uncle (her mother's brother) could provide her maternal grandfather's Y-haplogroup.
    • Similarly, with new samples both can provide the mt-DNA for their direct maternal lines (wife's father for her paternal grandmother, wife's maternal uncle for her maternal grandmother). But if your wife does the mtFullSequence, having her maternal uncle do a mtDNA test would be redundant and not needed.
Just some food for thought!

Last edited by KATM; 3rd February 2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old 5th February 2018, 09:39 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrewl View Post
I'm my (and my wife's) family's genealogist and DNA admin. I bought AncestryDNA tests for my (84 year old) father, his sister, my wife, her father, her mother's brother, and me. Using FTDNA's Autosomal Transfer Unlock, I created separate kits in 2015 for my father, wife and me only thus far. .... I also got a FTDNA Y-DNA67 kit for my father in 2016.
Your father's Y-DNA67 Test should have been ordered as an upgrade from the Kit his FamilyFinder Results are on.
Is that what you did - that is, do you have ONE KIT NUMBER for your father, with both Tests on it?

If not, and you have not sent it back yet, call them before sending it back to see if you can get it credited to the same Kit Number.
If you have sent it back, but it has not been received - call urgently as per above.