Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA and Genealogy for Beginners

DNA and Genealogy for Beginners Everything you wanted to know about DNA and Genealogy but didn't know where to ask. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 25th January 2018, 03:26 PM
FTDNA Customer

Adding Family Finder after taking Y-37 test

It may not be considered an "upgrade", but I was disappointed that my father's Y-37 test didn't have the ethic makeup percentage (like Family Finder). I understand now that is from the autosomal DNA. Is the only way to get this is to also buy the Family Finder package? I couldn't find any information on this. From what I read my father shouldn't have to take a new test though.
Old 25th January 2018, 04:38 PM
mtDNA: K1a3 | Y-DNA: R-L1308*

Yes, the ethnic makeup is called "myOrigins" at FTDNA, and it is a part of the Family Finder test.

Since your father already has his DNA sample on file at FTDNA, any further tests, such as Family Finder or more Y-DNA testing, can be done on it without requesting a new sample. I think "new sample" is what you meant by saying that your father shouldn't have to take a "new test." If he does a lot of testing, of course, he may need a new sample eventually.

If your father is elderly, it is always good to ask for extra swabs & vials, and get another sample from him, if you plan on doing much further testing.