Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA and Genealogy for Beginners

DNA and Genealogy for Beginners Everything you wanted to know about DNA and Genealogy but didn't know where to ask. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 31st July 2017, 11:36 AM
FTDNA Customer

67 Marker

Currently, it says the 67 marker is discounted to $99 for upgrade.
Old 3rd August 2017, 07:28 PM
FTDNA Customer

Exact Matches ???

Well now, here's something. Out of all of those Y DNA matches in the 37, there is one Flower that is labeled as an "Exact Match." What in the deuce does that mean as far as his relationship to me???
Old 3rd August 2017, 09:09 PM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

Quote:
Originally Posted by armay70809 View Post
Well now, here's something. Out of all of those Y DNA matches in the 37, there is one Flower that is labeled as an "Exact Match." What in the deuce does that mean as far as his relationship to me???
There's a good chance that you and he share a common paternal line ancestor in the last few generations. However, if he has tested 67 markers, you should upgrade and compare to him at 67 markers.

That would give you a better estimate of how closely you may be related. Basically, if you and he were to mismatch on 3 or less markers at 67 markers, it would make it more likely you share a common ancestor in the last few hundred years. The less mismatches you have, the more likely the common ancestor lived more recently.

Notice that I'm using words like "chance" and "more likely." The estimates of "time to most recent common ancestor" are based on average mutation rates. You and/or the match may have a higher or lower mutation rate than the average. So, you can't say exactly how recently a common ancestor lived based solely on the DNA match.

At that point, a close match at 67 markers is a clue to be investigated. Contact him and see if his father or grandfather or great-grandfather lived in the same area or even city where you were born or where your father or grandfather or great-grandfather were born. If your line and his line lived in the same city or area, that makes it more likely that you share a fairly recent common paternal line ancestor.
Old 4th August 2017, 05:14 AM
FTDNA Customer

Thanks for that explanation! The 67 marker has just been ordered on my end. I've been trying to contact him, but he hasn't been responding. If he does, those are great questions to ask.
Old 20th August 2017, 05:10 PM
FTDNA Customer

Y DNA

Well, just got the results back on the 67 markers. It still shows the name Flowers and no Nugents. We thought his father was a Nugent. We don't know the Nugents and cannot ask them to do a DNA test. same with Flowers. This is always true in cases of children born out of wedlock.

At a distance of 1
William Ray Flowers
Harley L. Flowers

Other Flowers at 3 and 4. No Nugents. I was expecting to see Edmund Duncan Nugent as a distant ancestor.
Old 4th September 2017, 11:57 AM
FTDNA Customer

Always remember...

You are comparing your results only to other men who have tested. Surname use is an artificial distinction, not a genetic inheritance. Had I seen this in time, I would have recommended the 111 test while it was on sale.
Genetic distances are questionable even at 111 (I find them "closer" than they are through paper-trail) but at lower than 67, they are pretty meaningless.
Old 4th September 2017, 02:22 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintonslayton76 View Post
You are comparing your results only to other men who have tested. Surname use is an artificial distinction, not a genetic inheritance. Had I seen this in time, I would have recommended the 111 test while it was on sale.
Genetic distances are questionable even at 111 (I find them "closer" than they are through paper-trail) but at lower than 67, they are pretty meaningless.
Eh, I would argue that below 67 isn't necessarily meaningless depending on surnames, genealogical info, haplotypes, haplogroups, etc. SNP testing can be more helpful in combination.

Close matches with other surnames implying NPE should only be considered if each individuals paper trail intersects in close proximity to each other.

Last edited by spruithean; 4th September 2017 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12th February 2018, 01:52 PM
FTDNA Customer

As stated...

Quote:
67 isn't necessarily meaningless
I did not say that they were, in that large groups can be tested for 12 inexpensively for haplo, but in terms of Genetic Distance, most of my 12 STR marker matches with 0 distance have virtually no probability of being part of my patriline, which goes to the root of the original query.

Those with 67-111 STR matches have far more accurate Genetic Distance.