Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > The Genographic Project

The Genographic Project Do you have results from Genographic? Are you considering testing with them? This board is open to customers and visitors.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 4th February 2016, 08:20 PM
ddxue ddxue is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armando View Post
They have been making a lot of mistakes. They have given a R1b-U106 person a terminal SNP that belongs to the R1b-M222 subclade, They have given three R1b-DF27 people a terminal SNP that is way downstream of R1b-U152, and another person that is probably positive for Z2103 was given a terminal SNP above that because Geno 2.0 NextGen doesn't test for it.

Those are just the ones I know about which means there are probably hundreds of people out there that don't know any better that are being given bad information. It seems to be a very big problem.
I just don't understand how they even got my general haplogroup wrong. It should have been easy to run my SNP results through their automated program and determine I could not be haplogroup J since I tested negative for many of the SNP's that define the top level haplogroup J-M304. Their algorithm can't be that bad... I think.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 4th February 2016, 10:20 PM
Armando Armando is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddxue View Post
I just don't understand how they even got my general haplogroup wrong. It should have been easy to run my SNP results through their automated program and determine I could not be haplogroup J since I tested negative for many of the SNP's that define the top level haplogroup J-M304. Their algorithm can't be that bad... I think.
There are way too many false positives in the test. The algorithms can only do so much with that situation. The BigY test is much better. There aren't so many false positives but it still takes analysis by haplogroup admins and/or a professional analysis by a company such as YFull for the best placement.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10th March 2016, 09:05 PM
ddxue ddxue is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7
FTDNA finally updated their prediction of my Y-DNA haplogroup from 'pending' to F-P135.

It took less than 5 minutes for me to Ctrl+F through my raw Y-DNA SNP results to conclude I cannot be F-P135. Using the Haplogroup F tree, I did test positive for ANY of the Haplogroup F SNP's that are highlighted green on my FTDNA page.

How can FTDNA/Nat Geo be this incompetent? I contacted FTDNA and Nat Geo customer support and they of course gave me no response.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11th March 2016, 08:28 AM
Amerijoe Amerijoe is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 11
Blog Entries: 1
My FTDNA & NatGeno Experience

Also had some questionable results from NatGeno as well. First, I contacted my project administrators to review the results. I was assured that corrections will be made in the near future. With this information I contacted NatGeno stating the questionable results.

Request Received Yesterday@1:02PM

Hi: kit# XTJPA3P3XR. Your mt haplogroup J1c4 designation is wrong. I checked with FTDNA project manager who reviewed and stated it is in error and my mt is still J1c. Also, checked with R1a FTDNA manager on the Y Haplogroup and indicated it should have been closer to R-Y2123. I'm assigned to R-Y15121*. There were an additional 22 positive snps in file that I'm now told are false positions. Hope this helps your project. Here are the emails indicating a 2 hr. response time from Geno Project.a

Thanks, Joe


Request Update Yesterday@3:32PM

Hello,

Thank you for contacting The Genographic Project, I have requested that the Raw Data regarding the results of your kit:XTJPA3P3XR be reviewed. As soon as I hear anything back from this investigation, I will notify you immediately.

I deeply apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you, your patience and understanding throughout this entire process has been greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,


Alyssa G
Information Specialist
The Genographic Project

I understand the frustration involved when things are off-track, but the companies involved do not want an inferior product. I for one, know that errors will be less frequent as time proceeds, it's how science works. This is is a new and developing science and some erroneous results will arise during the on-going process. Remember a positive approach leads to positive results.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11th March 2016, 01:44 PM
Amerijoe Amerijoe is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 11
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amerijoe View Post
Also had some questionable results from NatGeno as well. First, I contacted my project administrators to review the results. I was assured that corrections will be made in the near future. With this information I contacted NatGeno stating the questionable results.

Request Received Yesterday@1:02PM

Hi: kit# XTJPA3P3XR. Your mt haplogroup J1c4 designation is wrong. I checked with FTDNA project manager who reviewed and stated it is in error and my mt is still J1c. Also, checked with R1a FTDNA manager on the Y Haplogroup and indicated it should have been closer to R-Y2123. I'm assigned to R-Y15121*. There were an additional 22 positive snps in file that I'm now told are false positions. Hope this helps your project. Here are the emails indicating a 2 hr. response time from Geno Project.a

Thanks, Joe


Request Update Yesterday@3:32PM

Hello,

Thank you for contacting The Genographic Project, I have requested that the Raw Data regarding the results of your kit:XTJPA3P3XR be reviewed. As soon as I hear anything back from this investigation, I will notify you immediately.

I deeply apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you, your patience and understanding throughout this entire process has been greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,


Alyssa G
Information Specialist
The Genographic Project

I understand the frustration involved when things are off-track, but the companies involved do not want an inferior product. I for one, know that errors will be less frequent as time proceeds, it's how science works. This is is a new and developing science and some erroneous results will arise during the on-going process. Remember a positive approach leads to positive results.
Additional info:

RE: Update on Your Request {385959}
Today@1:03PM

## Open Requests only: Reply ABOVE THIS LINE to add a note ##
Request Update Request ID: 385959

Hello Joe,

For Kit B82688, I see the problem you are addressing. We are working on a resolution. FTDNA is not exactly the same as the Genographic project and we are working on getting the SNPs to resolve. The solution is not implemented but we expect it to be soon.



Thank you


Best Regards,

Tom
Family Tree DNA

I'm usually impatient, I want the answer yesterday, but when people are honestly trying to resolve the issue, I graciously extend my patience. I hope my correspondence will show fellow members that solutions soon will be implemented.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11th March 2016, 10:14 PM
Armando Armando is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amerijoe View Post
There were an additional 22 positive snps in file that I'm now told are false positions. Hope this helps your project.
Too many false positives like I had said - http://forums.familytreedna.com/show...2&postcount=22
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 9th April 2016, 07:01 PM
wombat wombat is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 262
Also, as far as I've seen, they actually use LESS SNPs than they did on the old test! I see they tested less SNPs on R-L20 branch than on the old test and less on the V branch for mtDNA (in fact all they give is a basic V! the old test and even 23 which hasn't bothered to update in years gives more!). I thought at the least they'd ADD a few, hopefully all the basic ones, but at least a few extra R-L20 branch SNPs for all their talk about a radical improvement in Y-testing, almost as good as the full test! And that they could at least say turn V3 into V3c (and hopefully even another level). Instead it is just plain V!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10th April 2016, 12:00 AM
Armando Armando is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,702
The original Geno 2.0 tested these SNP downstream from L20 which are all in the 3 April 2016 ISOGG tree as R1b1a1a2a1a2b1a1~ - L737, L739, Z291, Z383 and for R1b1a1a2a1a2b1a1a which are CTS11795 and PF121 in the same ISOGG tree. The only SNPs missing from the Geno 2.0 NextGen are L737, Z291, and Z383 which are phylogenetically equivalent to L739 anyway.

There are 12,051 SNPs in the original Geno 2.0 test and there are 13,630 SNPs in the Geno 2.0 NextGen test. The BigY tests more than 36,400 Y-DNA positions. With a sale and a coupon the BigY is a better deal because only one other company tests more Y-DNA positions but for a higher price.

The mtDNA test from Geno 2.0 NextGen is already known not to test the whole mitochondrion and not to provide matching.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 24th November 2016, 05:07 PM
Jim Barrett Jim Barrett is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Timpson, TX
Posts: 2,128
Nat Geo S7123 Mess

I have a project member that Nat Geo reported to be S7123+ so FTDNA assigned him to Haplogroup R-S7123. The problem is that he is reported as negative for every SNP in SNP Pack L513, many of which are upstream of S7123.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 25th November 2016, 11:11 AM
Armando Armando is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Barrett View Post
I have a project member that Nat Geo reported to be S7123+ so FTDNA assigned him to Haplogroup R-S7123. The problem is that he is reported as negative for every SNP in SNP Pack L513, many of which are upstream of S7123.
Nat Geo Geno 2.0 or Nat Geo Geno 2.0 NextGen? What does he get at Nat Geo for the terminal SNP? What is the allele he gets in the raw data for S7123? In at least one NextGen file that I have an allele that is not compatible with ISOGG or Ybrowse is reported. In the FTDNA tree S7123 has
L193, Z16332, S5982, S5990, A5, A6, A4, S5992, BY208 as phylogenetic equivalents and YFull is in agreement and so is ISOGG. Out of those only S5982, S5990, and S5992 are included in the L153 SNP Pack.

It is technically possible to be positive for only one phylogenetic equivalent and for a person to create a new branch but since S7123 looks to be falsely called a positive by FTDNA it is doubtful.

Luckily not a lot of people will be getting false positives anymore since the Nat Geno NextGen test will now be done by Helix. http://cruwys.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11...-app-with.html But there will only be about 10,000 Y-DNA SNPs tested. The SNP Packs at FTDNA are still better.

Both the Geno 2.0 test and the SNP Pack show that a BigY test is still more valuable because it has the ability to find new subclades when a person is negative for all known subclades.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question on haplogroup prediction arkham Y-DNA Haplogroups & SNPs Basics 18 20th August 2015 09:39 AM
Haplogroup/terminal SNP prediction? schnook Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Basics 1 30th April 2015 06:13 PM
Haplogroup Prediction and Change Tenn4ever Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Basics 0 20th December 2014 12:22 PM
haplogroup prediction for HVR tests Ann Turner mtDNA - Advanced Topics 0 29th October 2014 05:47 AM
Haplogroup Prediction System K. Campbell Group Administrators - Advanced Chat 0 10th March 2004 09:34 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:03 PM.


Family Tree DNA - World Headquarters

1445 North Loop West, Suite 820
Houston, Texas 77008, USA

Phone: (713) 868-1438 | Fax: (832) 201-7147
Copyright 2001-2010 Genealogy by Genetics, Ltd.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.