Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA and Genealogy for Beginners

DNA and Genealogy for Beginners Everything you wanted to know about DNA and Genealogy but didn't know where to ask. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 18th December 2016, 05:28 PM
FTDNA Customer

Smile Contacting people

I've contacted people with my Family Finder list of 194. So far it's been OK! 20 and such and I have exchanged Gedmatch numbers and I guess I need to order a Family finder test. Just got some result of my YDNA 67 test, but can't make heads or tails of that yet. Will try and contact Gedmatch matches as well. BE SURE the people are at least 7CM's because that's the standard for a match. Also be very friendly in your messages towards them, listing all your batch and Gedmatch kit numbers. Gives people more assurance.
Old 18th December 2016, 05:50 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMel View Post
I've contacted people with my Family Finder list of 194.... I guess I need to order a Family finder test.
This is a contradiction. You mention your Family Finder list and then imply you need to order the Family Finder. Have you taken a Family Finder test or transferred an autosomal DNA test from a different company?
Old 16th January 2017, 02:34 AM
FTDNA Customer

Messaging matches but they manage multiple

so my question is a few people I have messaged manage multiple accounts why is this ? just wondering ..
Old 16th January 2017, 06:11 AM
FTDNA Customer

Many people manage kits for relatives who were willing to submit DNA samples but have no interest in communicating with their matches. I manage my kit and the kit of a deceased cousin.
Old 16th January 2017, 01:06 PM
FTDNA Customer

I manage several kits for several reasons. For elderly relatives it is usually because either they don't use the net or would be required to write in English or another language they don't know - remember, this company tests worldwide.
Old 16th January 2017, 11:07 PM
FTDNA Customer

Testing multiple relatives casts a wider net in finding distant cousins. I manage multiple kits as well. My relatives have no interest in this other than whatever stories I tell them. I paid for the kits, and they donated DNA.
Old 11th February 2017, 07:21 AM
YDNA - U106>FGC5798

I understand that people manage several kits and that the people who were tested may not be interested in contact, but surely it's the person managing the kit who has the information we're looking for so we don't really need to contact the tester? The kit managers should surely be willing to make contact.
Old 11th February 2017, 10:26 AM
FTDNA Customer

When you order a dna test, you will notified of ANY matches that you have? If so, how is it done? I'm gonna be order the family finder and Y37 tests. Thanx...
Old 11th February 2017, 11:16 AM
mtDNA: K1a3 | Y-DNA: R-L1308*

The notifications for any Y-DNA test matches will be sent, but it depends upon how you have your settings set up in your account. In your account, go to Account Settings, then Match and Email Settings. There you can select whether or not to receive email notifications for each level (12, 25, 37, etc.). Note that when you choose "No," to disable receiving email notifications for any of the levels, you also disable making those level matches available on your Y-DNA matches page, and showing your profile and contact information to those matches.

But many people get a lot of matches at the 12 marker level, even at the 25 marker level, which are not relevant, so opt to disable notifications and viewing matches at those levels.

For Family Finder, this is controlled the same way from your Account Settings. I believe you may only get a notification email if the match has an Immediate or Close relationship. See "What are the possible relationships for a Family Finder match?" in the Learning Center for the four categories of matches. I certainly have not received email notifications for matches when the estimated relationship range is 2nd-4th cousin and higher (Distant and Speculative ranges) in any of the accounts I manage, and the settings are set to show them and receive notifications for all levels.

The Learning Center also has a page explaining why you may not receive a notification email.

Last edited by KATM; 11th February 2017 at 11:29 AM.
Old 29th March 2017, 07:09 AM
FTDNA Customer

Once your DNA results have been released, you'll be keen to start emailing your closest matches, especially if any of their surnames or places look familiar.