Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA and Genealogy for Beginners

DNA and Genealogy for Beginners Everything you wanted to know about DNA and Genealogy but didn't know where to ask. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 13th February 2018, 05:16 PM
mtDNA: K1a3 | Y-DNA: R-L1308*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamio
What are my children’s percentages,please? Thanks for your info and help
I listed them first in my post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KATM View Post
For your children (50% DNA from you, 50% from your husband):
  • 48% Ashkenazi, with about a 2% trace of Sephardic from you
  • 50% from your husband, broken down as
    • 37.5% African/black (25% from your husband's father, 12.5% from his mother)
    • 12.5% Scottish (from his mother)
I do agree with Fern, and clintonslayton76. You shouldn't worry about the numbers. But since you asked for one, I just wanted to provide an estimate ("guess") based on what you knew and put in your first post. These ethnicity estimates are the bane of genetic genealogy, and should not be the main focus that they have become, unfortunately.
Old 13th February 2018, 05:39 PM
FTDNA Customer

Two different things, hope my rant was not off-point

KATM refers helpfully to the percentages of share for atDNA, and I assumed that the scope of your question is that you expect some indication of the makeup of your particular results. If you search-engine for "ISOGG cousins" you can confirm those, because KATM shows percentages, as used by Ancestry, and FTDNA uses centiMorgans, and there are tables where you can see both.

I am not questioning the tables of predicted share amounts, I am questioning the expectation that MyOrigins or any other such predictor has a stable basis in reality.

The "continental" level of prediction is always the most likely, those showing geopolitical distinctions within the continents or any suggestion of First Peoples connection are only plausible in the most endogamic (isolated and therefore "in-bred") estimates. But "black" and "white" have no meaning in FTDNA or Ancestry DNA and would require genomic level research where there might be clearer markers for Sub Saharan African vs Euro vs East Asian descent, but as in intellectual construct that might or might not be reflected in any physical characteristics.

Last edited by clintonslayton76; 13th February 2018 at 05:50 PM.