Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA and Genealogy for Beginners

DNA and Genealogy for Beginners Everything you wanted to know about DNA and Genealogy but didn't know where to ask. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th January 2018, 07:30 PM
harrigill harrigill is offline
FTDNA Customer
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 2
Question Match, no match

How is it possible to have a genetic distance zero match with Y-67, yet not have a relationship show up at all in Family Finder for the same individual?
Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2018, 07:55 PM
MoberlyDrake MoberlyDrake is offline
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,546
Assuming the individual has done the Family Finder test, the reason is that the Y-DNA relationship is so far back that the two individuals share no autosomal DNA or the autosomal DNA they share is below the minimum threshold of Family Finder.

You get a RANDOM 50% of your autosomal DNA from each parent, 25% from each grandparent, 12.5 from each great-grandparent, etc. Go back a few more generations and you get no DNA from some of your ancestors due to the randomness of inheritance.

Y-DNA, on the other hand, is passed from father to son virtually unchanged for hundreds of years.
Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2018, 08:32 PM
harrigill harrigill is offline
FTDNA Customer
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 2
Thanks, but with the genetic distance of zero on the Y67 test, the TiP report shows a 90% probability of being related within 4 generations. I guess we're in that 10%....
Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2018, 02:06 AM
Fern Fern is offline
FTDNA Customer
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 119
Are you in contact with your Y-DNA 67 match? If you both uploaded your Family Finder data to Gedmatch, you could then do a one-to-one Gedmatch comparison to see how closely (or not) you match.
Reply With Quote


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Full mtDNA match (or only HVR1 & HVR2 match)? Wing_Genealogis mtDNA - Genealogy Basics 10 17th October 2016 11:03 AM
Gedmatch Xdna match, and 3cM minimum aDNA match LadyAlaise X-DNA Advanced 2 2nd June 2015 11:44 AM
Need help understanding non-match and match with mother and daughter pair A2012W X-DNA Basics 1 6th February 2014 08:47 PM
YDNA 67 match with NO Family Finder Match- & odd Haplo N1C1? fullerbb Family Finder Advanced Topics 2 26th November 2012 06:49 AM
At Gedmatch I match a FF match on the X chromo, is this a clue? EdwardRHill Family Finder Advanced Topics 3 11th January 2012 09:25 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:49 PM.

Family Tree DNA - World Headquarters

1445 North Loop West, Suite 820
Houston, Texas 77008, USA

Phone: (713) 868-1438 | Fax: (832) 201-7147
Copyright 2001-2010 Genealogy by Genetics, Ltd.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.