X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sonia
    • Dec 2004

U6a1 mtDNA?

Any chance you'll be permitting U6a1 to remain in the African DNA Project? Though they are a back migration into Africa ca 15 KYA and derive far from L (L3 > N > R > U > U6 I think), U6 seems to predominate in African and African American populations.

I guess I see its return as African because those mitomoms had 15,000 years of admixture that led to their enslavement out of Africa as well.

Additionally, it seems to parallel some of the y-chromosome E proposed back migrations into Africa for the E1b1b1 types.

Yep, I was the contact on the U6a1 that seems to have been recently dumped from the African DNA Project without even an email.
  • GregKiroKHR1bL1
    • Jun 2007

This could support some of your earlier autosomal results. I see some evidence with a relationship between mtDNA hg U and hg L, but this is a little beyond my research so far.

Originally posted by Sonia
    Any chance you'll be permitting U6a1 to remain in the African DNA Project? Though they are a back migration into Africa ca 15 KYA and derive far from L (L3 > N > R > U > U6 I think), U6 seems to predominate in African and African American populations.

I guess I see its return as African because those mitomoms had 15,000 years of admixture that led to their enslavement out of Africa as well.

Additionally, it seems to parallel some of the y-chromosome E proposed back migrations into Africa for the E1b1b1 types.

Yep, I was the contact on the U6a1 that seems to have been recently dumped from the African DNA Project without even an email.
    My Dad's mtDNA results were A2-5105C supporting an Amerindian branch within a sub-clade A2 node with no mutations at 16111 and at 152. A recent paper supports American admixtures as a field for research. This agrees with earlier papers about mtDNA hg L.

Citation for #62: Achilli A, Perego UA, Bravi CM, Coble MD, Kong Q-P, et al (2008) The Phylogeny of the Four Pan-American MtDNA Haplogroups: Implications for Evolutionary and Disease Studies. PLoS ONE 3(3): e1764. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0001764

Those mtDNAs are not associated with either a specific Native American population/tribe or a specific geographic region but are undoubtedly of Native American origin. Furthermore, due to the fact that these are all from individuals living in the US, they probably provide a fairly good overview of the mtDNA pool of extant or extinct Native American populations from North and Central America plus the Caribbean (due to the contribution of Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Salvadorans, etc. to the present-day US American population), and their analysis might provide important new clues about the process of human colonization of the Americas and the origin of Native Americans.
    My Dad's A2 is associated with a tribe though . . .

Comment

• Sonia
      • Dec 2004

AtDNA and mtDNA Variation

Greg wrote: This could support some of your earlier autosomal results. I see some evidence with a relationship between mtDNA hg U and hg L, but this is a little beyond my research so far.

Hi Greg,

The U6a1 mtDNA result is for my cousin. His father and my maternal grandmother have the same father. I'm waiting on his y-DNA results, but thought it would be fun to start a mini-geographic project since his mother is also from Calhoun Falls. Even though there are no direct, immediate ties to the U6a1 result, this shows that there were probably some North African autosomal genes in the Calhoun Falls pool Great catch on remembering some of those unusual results that my Gram had in her Tribes scores! I agree that it's possible that when they talked about having Indian in them, it could have been North African features that were misidentified.

Your Dad's A2 is affiliated with which group? Was this known before the test?
      Sonia

Comment

• GregKiroKHR1bL1
        • Jun 2007

Hi Sonia,

When I examined my mtDNA, I found two unusual things. The post hg L1c1d marker C8657T was also found in U5b2, and the dominate hg K marker T16224C was also found in L1c, L2c, L6, and U5. To me, this suggests a relationship between L and U. I have been wondering what to say about this. My maternal grandmother said she was Irish when she was alive. My paternal grandmother came from Virginia. And so, they were from the same tribe as Pocahontas. We have known this before the US census and government which to these days try to change its designation so to have a two-race system of black and white. I guess the DNA results agree with family stories.

Comment

• Sonia
          • Dec 2004

Good News for U6

Originally posted by Sonia View Post

If there are any others who discovered that they have mtDNA U, there is now a project that was started by Bernard. You can find it under projects, but if you have trouble let me know. Not, that I'll give up on U6 belonging in the Africa Project, especially since "The mtDNA Legacy of the Levantine Early Upper Paleolithic in Africa" puts U6 and that lone M1 still in the project back in Africa, but I'll go where the folks are hunting and sharing. That article is available free if you sign up at www.aaas.org

Sonia

Comment

Working...
          X