Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Maternal Lineages (mtDNA) > mtDNA - Genealogy Basics

mtDNA - Genealogy Basics All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 14th April 2017, 06:14 PM
FTDNA Customer

Full sequence results.... GD of 3....

I just got my full sequence results back and I am a real newbie with this. I have also done FF.

I have 5 matches. They are all a genetic distance of 3. I get that that means how far back our match could be. But how far is that? Is it so far back that we won't be able to find our common ancestor?

Thanks for any tips and help you can give this mtDNA newbie, Judy
Old 15th April 2017, 05:29 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstucci View Post
I just got my full sequence results back and I am a real newbie with this. I have also done FF.

I have 5 matches. They are all a genetic distance of 3. I get that that means how far back our match could be. But how far is that? Is it so far back that we won't be able to find our common ancestor?
There is not a simple answer to this question - first you should check to see which mutations are being counted as part of the GD 3, and if common mutations or heteroplasmies are being counted, you should exclude them. In most cases, a GD of 3 will be very distantly related with a common maternal ancestor thousands of years ago, but they can be much more recently related. I know of one case of two sisters have a GD of 4.
Old 15th April 2017, 07:58 PM
FTDNA Customer

Gotcha. Not a simple answer. The rest I didn't understand. lol
New terminology. Thank you for replying, Judy