• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tomcat
    FTDNA Customer
    • May 2005

Originally posted by Maria_W View Post
    Are there any more x markers out there to test?
    If you did 23andMe or DeCode you got X SNP's to go along with your X STR's and so are way ahead of the rest of us. You might link-up with the Roostweb or DNAForum folk who are working with the X SNP's. Please report back!

Comment

• Maria_W
      • Jul 2006

Duh...

Tom,
      Duh, yes I did the DeCodeMe test..Will go look at my x results...But i don't know what to do with them..Guess I need to ask the people at Rootweb...

Thanks for reminding me about the x chromosome with Decodeme...Thinking about doing the 23andme test in May...

Maria

Comment

• Kathleen Carrow
        mtDNA: J2b1a1(a) | Y-DNA: I2a1a | Horse Person
        • Apr 2006

Tom,
        Duh, yes I did the DeCodeMe test..Will go look at my x results...But i don't know what to do with them..Guess I need to ask the people at Rootweb...

Thanks for reminding me about the x chromosome with Decodeme...Thinking about doing the 23andme test in May...

Maria

Maria
        Don't the deCODE me folks help with comparisons? Don't they have a database?

Why would you do the 23andME test ..it is very similar isn't it? No more results to be had?

Comment

• tomcat
          FTDNA Customer
          • May 2005

Tom,
          Be sure and let them know you have DXS10074,75,79 results at DNAF ... there ought to be a relationship, ancestry-wise, between your DXS matches and the ancestry of the corresponding SNP block.

Comment

• Maria_W
            • Jul 2006

Cross validation...

Becasue its cross validation for DeCodeMe. I was given a 6% overall Asian ( result on autosomal and a 9% overall Asian result on x...I want to see what 23andme gives me...I know that DeCodeMe is more generous with their ethnic percentages..Want to see if its true, if both DeCodeme and 23andme are close in percentages than its probably correct...Since its only 400.00, why not...
            For instance when you open the genome browser and you highlight Chromosome x down below it says my ancestry you have a graph. Yellow represents Asian. If you run the cursor across the whole length of the graph you will get different percentages for Asian. I get anywhere from 1.90% to 48.60% on my X chromosome...I guess they settled for 9% as a comprimise...

Maria

Comment

• DKF
              • Oct 2007

Just a reminder that it is important to know whose ancestral contribution will be registered on your X. Blaine Bettinger just published fan charts which include specific percentages:

Last month I wrote “Unlocking the Genealogical Secrets of the X Chromosome” and posted a few charts that show the inheritance of the X-chromosome through 8 generations.  I thought these charts might be helpful since inheritance of the X-chromosome can… Continue reading →

This makes it very clear that the best person for me to test to find information relating to my gg grandmother Hannah (Young) Dawson, and hence my Loyalist German and Six Nations Mohawk heitage (helped by the fact that her parents were first cousins), is my mother's brother. He received (at least on paper) a 50% contribution to his X from this ancestor. Rather convenient considering that this is the family I have spent the most time researching since 1975 - and uncle may hold the key to open the door wider than my testing since Hannah "only" made a 25% contribution to my X (of course with recombination the actual percentage may vary dramatically away from the average - it could be 100% or it could be zero - but most likely the stated figure on the chart).

The great aspect of decodeme are the sophisticated features it offers. For example with one click I can compare my X with that of my uncle and see the regions of sharing (high, medium and low). I have not heard boo from 23andme as to their "plans for the X" but it does not appear to be a priority.

Comment

• Kathleen Carrow
                • Apr 2006

Becasue its cross validation for DeCodeMe. I was given a 6% overall Asian ( result on autosomal and a 9% overall Asian result on x...I want to see what 23andme gives me...I know that DeCodeMe is more generous with their ethnic percentages..Want to see if its true, if both DeCodeme and 23andme are close in percentages than its probably correct...Since its only 400.00, why not...
                For instance when you open the genome browser and you highlight Chromosome x down below it says my ancestry you have a graph. Yellow represents Asian. If you run the cursor across the whole length of the graph you will get different percentages for Asian. I get anywhere from 1.90% to 48.60% on my X chromosome...I guess they settled for 9% as a comprimise...

Maria
                Well that makes sense..Good idea..

Comment

• tomcat
                  FTDNA Customer
                  • May 2005

Originally posted by DKF View Post
                  This makes it very clear that the best person for me to test to find information relating to my gg grandmother Hannah (Young) Dawson, and hence my Loyalist German and Six Nations Mohawk heitage (helped by the fact that her parents were first cousins), is my mother's brother.....
                  Thought you were Canadian Mohawk? Canadian Mohawk were clients of the French who were enemies of the south-of-the-Saint-Lawrence-Mohawk (NY state). Was the Canadian branch even part of the Iroquois Confederacy?

Comment

• Kathleen Carrow
                    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by DKF View Post
                    Just a reminder that it is important to know whose ancestral contribution will be registered on your X.
                    The great aspect of decodeme are the sophisticated features it offers. For example with one click I can compare my X with that of my uncle and see the regions of sharing (high, medium and low). I have not heard boo from 23andme as to their "plans for the X" but it does not appear to be a priority.

I am sure that the sophistication is great..BUT I must say that you can compare markers between two people and get a rough % by just counting how many markers there are in common..
                    I did that with my Sister and I, my cousins and I and two females who are unrelated to me but who share a very close FGS match..we share upwards of 50% of X markers..

I spent a tiny fraction of the price..

Also at DNA-FP site I was able to contact 2 people who match each of my distant Cousins X haploblock..and one who matches my husbands block..two who match my Mother's haploblock that my Sister carries...
                    and two who match the Haploblock from Mom that I carry..
                    the Haploblock that My Sister and I share..which we received from Dad we have no matches with..

The folks that I match can thus respond with who they may have received their markers from and the geographic area if they know it..

I would like to test one of the full genomes and most likely will do that.. but I am retired also and trying to be careful with $$$

Comment

• rucksack
                      • Aug 2008

Non members may not post at dna-forums.

Everyone and their dog can read the postings.

Google and Ask Jeeves are logged on all of the time.

Originally posted by Kathleen Carrow View Post
                      We have an earlier much larger thread where we discussed the Szibor papers etc. before we tested our X markers..some of us here did it quite some time ago when they were first offered ..and posted them at DNA-FP

we cannot read the posts at dna-forums that is member only..
                      what I WOULD like to know is how have the SNP testings at 23andme and deCODEme helped put the XSTRs that we have tested here in a meaningful perspective?
                      What do you who have done that know that those of us who have done mtDNA FGS, complete or at least 21 marker autosomal, complete groups of X markers and 67 marker Y test plus SNPS for our male ancestors?
                      And is it worth the $$ ??

I have yet to read anything at the Rootsweb DNA Genealogy site ( Which I read daily) which indicates that anyone had a revelation after doing one of the full genome tests..

Just wondering

Comment

• Maria_W
                        • Jul 2006

Ive tryed every combo...

I can not get back into dna-forums.org and both my husband and I are registered. I keep asking for someone to contact me and so far no one has, its been a while..... Is anyone even listening...just tryed a minute ago and nothing...i never get an email for my password...whats up?

Maria

Comment

• Maria_W
                          • Jul 2006

Got in...

Just went ahead and registered under a new name and email account, got right in...

Maria

Comment

• derinos
                            FTDNA Customer
                            • Mar 2005

dnaforums? messy webmastery

I can not get back into dna-forums.org and both my husband and I are registered. I keep asking for someone to contact me and so far no one has, its been a while..... Is anyone even listening...just tryed a minute ago and nothing...i never get an email for my password...whats up?

Maria
                            I just had the same problem tho I have been registered for several years. They are "upgrading" the website. (They have always had rather military-grade dense security! Finally got through.

Comment

• Kathleen Carrow
                              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by rucksack View Post
                              Non members may not post at dna-forums.

Everyone and their dog can read the postings.

Google and Ask Jeeves are logged on all of the time.

Well Google, Ask Jeeves and the dog must not be "persona-non-grata" it will NOT let me even read the X thread..

Comment

• Kathleen Carrow
                                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by derinos View Post
                                I just had the same problem tho I have been registered for several years. They are "upgrading" the website. (They have always had rather military-grade dense security! Finally got through.

I just tried to re-register..it did not even budge..

Something about me? it must be an elite little group but then why post the link to it?

Again..it will not even let me READ the X thread.. WOW talk about security..

Comment

Working...
                                X