Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Maternal Lineages (mtDNA) > mtDNA - Advanced Topics

mtDNA - Advanced Topics Users can exchange advanced information here on mtDNA testing, results, and questions. You must register and sign in to view or post in this forum.

Old 27th January 2013, 04:17 PM
thefarmer33

Maternal Haplogroup X

Hi I just got my HRV1 results back and i'm waiting for my HRV2 results to come in. I got no matches for my HRV1 and all I found out was I belong to the X haplogroup. The reason I got a genealogy test was to find out if im jewish. I joined the X haplogroup project and I compared my genetic mutations to others and found most of the names were jewish. What does that mean?
Old 27th January 2013, 08:23 PM
FTDNA Customer

An HRV1 only result really does not tell you much.

The X mtdna includes people all over Europe, Middle East and a large group of Native Americans. Please wait for FGS results to make any ethnic conclusions. The large number of Jewish names in the X group probably has more to do the high number of FTDNA customers not the real spread of ethnic groups in the X haplogroup.

Take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ha..._X_(mtDNA).PNG

Repost with your updated haplogroup once your test is complete.
Old 28th January 2013, 01:46 AM
thefarmer33

FGS? will that arrive with my HRV2 results?
Old 28th January 2013, 08:09 AM
FTDNA Customer

If you've only ordered HVR1&2, the FGS is the "Full Genomic Sequence" which is a test beyond what you've ordered. If you order it, you can upload your results to the mtcommunity (link on your results page) for possibly more matches.

Hap X is found in the Middle East among other places, notably among the Druze; my father was X2M2 and his aDNA results (Population Finder and other tools) consistently show Druze results, although haplogroup and aDNA results are two different things. See this link for more on the haplogroup: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_X_%28mtDNA%29

I don't see a specifically Jewish-looking subgroup in the X Project. Are the Jewish matches you see all in a particular subgroup?
Old 28th January 2013, 08:11 AM
FTDNA Customer

The FGS, or full genomic sequence includes the entire mitochondrion, the HVR's and Coding Region. You will only get the coding region if you ordered the FGS test. I don't know if European Jewish X has distinctive motifs and if such distinction would appear in the HVR's alone.
Old 4th March 2013, 04:24 AM
FTDNA Customer

If X is in fact a part of the overall Jewish motif (which I believe it is), then the vast majority of X would be found in the Middle East. These Jews would not be the Ashkensazi of Europe but instead, would be the "arab Jews" of the middle east, the Mizrahi. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mizrahi_Jews which is where Jews came from in the first place.

I read somewhere (and I can no longer find the link to the information) that while haplogroup X is abundant in certain Amerindians and the Druze of the middle east, nearly 40% of Libyan Jews are/were haplogroup X.
Old 4th March 2013, 07:12 AM
FTDNA Customer

While I'm always interested in things Jewish/Middle Eastern, I'd like to know if there are any new thoughts on how Hap X made it to the Orkneys and North America without leaving a strong trail along the way to either spot.
Old 4th March 2013, 01:14 PM

My best information is that the X haplogroup has no known origin. It is found all over the planet, particularly in the Northern Hemisphere. However, X is most frequently found around the Great Lakes in Canada and the United States.
Old 4th March 2013, 01:24 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFWare View Post
My best information is that the X haplogroup has no known origin. It is found all over the planet, particularly in the Northern Hemisphere. However, X is most frequently found around the Great Lakes in Canada and the United States.
Haplogroup X arose in the Levant, basically, what is now known as the Middle East.

The Levant consists today of Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Israel, Palestine, Cyprus, Hatay Province and other parts of southern Turkey, some regions of northwestern Iraq and the Sinai Peninsula.

Precise definitions have varied over time, and the term originally had a broader and less well defined usage. The Levant has been described as the "crossroads of western Asia, the eastern Mediterranean and northeast Africa".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levant