Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Advanced

Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Advanced Users can exchange information here on Y-DNA testing, results, and questions.

Old 8th June 2016, 10:43 PM
FTDNA Customer

Question Italian/Hispanic with Y-DNA Haplogroup O-M175

I'm confused and wondered if anyone more educated in DNA can explain to me how this could be. I took Y-DNA STR test and came out with O-M175. I was always told by my father that his father was of Spanish heritage. When I checked ancestry records, I found out my great-grandfather came from Italy. My surname has families immigrating from both Spain and Italy. But why would my paternal result be O-M175 which I believe is more Asian, Mongol or Siberian related? I was expecting Haplogroup R result for Europe which I see in my Autosomal results. Could it be that somewhere generations back, a child was adopted into my Italian/Spanish Surname. I saw a different forum where a daughter was confused why her Polish Jewish father also came out as O-M175. Would appreciate your input. I am Asian on my mother's side of the house.
Old 12th June 2016, 04:17 AM
FTDNA Customer

There is always the possibility of an undocumented adoption somewhere in your patrilineage. Have you ordered Family Finder?
Old 15th July 2018, 10:58 PM
FTDNA Customer

Do you join Y-DNA Haplogroup O Project to get more information ?
Old 16th July 2018, 06:42 AM
FTDNA Customer

Is your haplogroup confirmed through any backbone SNP testing?
Old 16th July 2018, 11:12 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFAMAO View Post
My surname has families immigrating from both Spain and Italy. But why would my paternal result be O-M175 which I believe is more Asian, Mongol or Siberian related?
Your O haplotype just means that the person responsible for your male lineage came out of the O haplotype group, which could well have occurred thousands of years ago, long before surnames. Perhaps an O male from the eastern edge of the Roman empire moved to Italy. Similarly, there are Brits who have a Mediterranean male haplotype due to descent from Roman occupiers of England.