Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > The X-Chromosome > X-DNA Advanced

X-DNA Advanced Advanced topics about X-Chromosome matching and anthropologic blocks based on SNPs and/or STRs.

Old 2nd June 2015, 09:47 AM
FTDNA Customer

Question Help unveiling family legend

Hi, everyone!

I have a very limited notion about X chromosome. For this reason, I wish some of you could share your knowledge and insights with me. In my family, we have an oral tradition about a female ancestor been German and I wish I could confirm whether it's true or not.

First of all, I'm male. On 23andMe my X chromosome is classified as 100% French & German.

My maternal grandfather's maternal grandmother used to say that her father was predominantly Native American and her mother German. Unfortunately, I have no available information about her parents or her family origins.

Comparing my X chromosome with my maternal grandpa's one, our largest segment is of 82.6 cM (total of segments > 7 cM = 124.3 cM).

From what I've learned, as a male I could have inherited my mother's full paternal X, her full maternal X or a recombination of both (this last option seems to be my case).

Maybe these pieces of information can help:

1-my maternal grandpa's mother was born to a Portuguese father (North Portugal) and to a mother, who used to say she was half Native American half German.

2-my maternal grandmother's father was Pole and her mother was North Italian.

According to what I've mentioned, do you believe it's possible that my maternal grandfather's maternal grandmother was born to a German woman?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 2nd June 2015, 10:40 AM
FTDNA Customer

Do you have your kits on GEDmatch and are willing to share them?
Old 2nd June 2015, 02:33 PM
FTDNA Customer

It's possible but this is certainly not confirmation. Researching the paper trail would generally be much easier to confirm or deny this.
Old 2nd June 2015, 03:39 PM
FTDNA Customer

Thanks, I'm starting to take a look. I know the focus is on your maternal grandfather's side, but I am seeing something that is getting my curiosity up about your maternal grandmother's side. Where did she live, and when did her ancestors come to that area?
Old 2nd June 2015, 04:22 PM
FTDNA Customer

georgian1950 thank you so much for your time and help! It's much appreciated

My maternal grandmother was born in Brazil. Unfortunately, she died years ago and I'm unable to get her DNA tested. But, I'm planning to run some tests on her living siblings. Her grandparents immigrated to the South part of Brazil at the end of the XIX century. Her father was of Polish and Czech descent with roots in Central Poland (Wielkopolska and Łódzkie) and in Moravia. And her mother's ancestors were Italians from Verona and Treviso Province. I have her family very well documented until 1790 on her Polish and Italian sides and until 1680 on her Czech side.

GermanicaI totally agree with you, paper trail would be the best option. But, I couldn't find any documents about my maternal grandfather's maternal grandmother's parents. And to complicate even more the research, I suspect her parents weren't legally married.
Old 5th June 2015, 04:58 PM
FTDNA Customer

Thumbs down

georgian1950 I believed you were a serious person. I got surprised and undignified by the fact that in the forum you pretend to be of any help when your only intention is collecting our GEDmatch kit numbers for your own purposes and weird theory related to the slave ring in North Carolina.

Shame on you! A little bit of decency and honesty would make you well!
Old 5th June 2015, 05:05 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illumina View Post
georgian1950 I believed you were a serious person. I got surprised and undignified by the fact that in the forum you pretend to be of any help when your only intention is collecting our GEDmatch kit numbers for your own purposes and weird theory related to the slave ring in North Carolina.

Shame on you! A little bit of decency and honesty would make you well!
Sorry, I've been running behind on responding. I'll try to get back to you this evening.